Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedlimit.org did a survey a few years back about Britians best driving roads

http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/drivingroads.html

Criteria were they had not to be a motorway (inherently boring), National Speed Limit has to apply all the way and *No* GATSOs

I get my GTi soon and need an update for some days out, Whats you best day out ?

Mine is Pickering A169 to Whitby or for early morning fun Olivers Mount Scarborough

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Problem is the traffic... Nobody over the age of 30 (blatent stereotype, don't take it personally) does more than about 45 down de-re's nowaadaysanyway, pigging infuriating!

For me, the A28 (most of it esp towards the coastal ways) and A227 (Wrotham to Tonbridge) are MARVELLOUS roads to have a blast down.... If there's no1 on them. Otherwise, forget it.

I've had some fantastic runs over in mid-Wales too [y]

C

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The A46 between Old Sodbury and Nailsworth (about 16-20 miles i think)
is one of my favourite roads. Just off the M4 interchange at tormarton.

A few limited points but mainly only at junctions. 1 set of traffic
lights nearing the end but no villages or residential areas. Sorry, 1
village.

Just long straight sections with nice sweeping bends and some corners that get you thinking. Long visiblity too.

I must pay a trip to mid/north Wales at some point to check out the
roads. Might make it a camping weekend. Infact, it should be a forum
meet! No racing, just a nice cruise through all the long moutain roads
with a stop off point over night.

Being mid/north wales it's pretty close for most people!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Snake Pass from Glossop to Sheffield.  Fantastic scenery and one of the best driving experiences I have ever had without being in France/Germany etc.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The A46 between Old Sodbury and Nailsworth (about 16-20 miles i think) is one of my favourite roads. Just off the M4 interchange at tormarton.
Yep - great road that, although frustrating if you get caught in a queue of cars where nobody overtakes. There's also another great (unclassified) road the other side of the Stroud Valleys that goes from a place near me called Eastcombe, through Bisley and on to Birdlip where it meets the A417. About 8 miles of lumps, bumps, dips, straights, long corners, sharp ones - it's got the lot.

I'm off to Bala in North Wales in the next few weeks for a mate's Birthday. Am going to give the Evo Magazine Triangle test route a go. I believe it goes from Cerrigydrudion to Pentrefolas on the A5, then from there to the Sportsmans Arms pub on the A543 and finally on B4501 back to Cerrigydrudion again. The scenery is stunning and it would be rude of me not to go out and attempt to destroy a tank of petrol with a couple of laps :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A429 Fosseway (Cheltenham/Cirencester) is one of my favourites. A real killa on the brakes and need to be extra careful for bikers on Sundays!

·
Registered
34 Posts
SCOTLAND - just too many too mention. Just get up here and try it out for yourself! Even Jezza himself has confessed that we have the best drivers' roads in the UK...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Mine is Pickering A169 to Whitby or for early morning fun Olivers Mount Scarborough
Ditto the road from Pickering to Whitby, but the last time I was on Olivers Mount there was a 40 limit! [:$]

I also enjoy the road between Beverley and Driffield, via Baynton. Can't remember the number, even though I do it twice a week. Nice and twisty with just a few passing spots and usually a couple of other "enthusiasts" to add to the fun.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Short route, but great fun, is the A249 in Kent from the M2 to the M20. Only a few miles, but no speed cameras (though markings left over from roadworks), beautiful road surface, and nice sweeping bends. Never seen a cop there once either. Nice Kentish scenery as well!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts