Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the pics u guys have been putting on the site, and there is some great golfs out there. 1 thing I have noticed is they are all sparkling, dont get me wrong I am washing mine most chances I get but can never get the shine I have seen on some of the pics here. What polish do u recomend? At the moment I have been using Auto Glym and Turtle Wax but only getting an average shine, also any recomendations for a good alloy cleaner / restorer

Cheers

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by pub_crawler on 02/02/2005 10:08:57

I have been looking at the pics u guys have been putting on the site, and there is some great golfs out there. 1 thing I have noticed is they are all sparkling, dont get me wrong I am washing mine most chances I get but can never get the shine I have seen on some of the pics here. What polish do u recomend? At the moment I have been using Auto Glym and Turtle Wax but only getting an average shine, also any recomendations for a good alloy cleaner / restorer

Cheers

Blimey mate.. you wait til jace or oxford or squky see this ! They'll have a field day [:D]

From what i've learnt on the detailin' forum, you need to use some higher quality products. Meguiars is a good place to start, I guess. Zymol and Swissol produce some very high quality waxes and polishes and general cleaning products.

Wash, Prep, Polish and Wax. Stick this up in the car care and detailing forum and you'll get lots of replies.

Autoglym, as i've seen for myself really isn't that good.. very dusty in use too.

check out www.seriousperformance.co.uk and www.cleanandshiny.co.uk - I think the latter has a forum discount.

HTH ! [:)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 02/02/2005 10:31:10

Blimey mate.. you wait til jace or oxford or squky see this ! They'll have a field day [:D]

From what i've learnt on the detailin' forum, you need to use some higher quality products. Meguiars is a good place to start, I guess. Zymol and Swissol produce some very high quality waxes and polishes and general cleaning products.

Wash, Prep, Polish and Wax. Stick this up in the car care and detailing forum and you'll get lots of replies.

Autoglym, as i've seen for myself really isn't that good.. very dusty in use too.

check out www.seriousperformance.co.uk and www.cleanandshiny.co.uk - I think the latter has a forum discount.

[:O] Blimey daniel'san, you have heard & learnt the ways of the wise grasshopper [:D]

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 02/02/2005 11:12:00

Quote: posted by tylerama on 02/02/2005 10:31:10

[:O] Blimey daniel'san, you have heard & learnt the ways of the wise grasshopper [:D]

Why thank you, oh great detailing one ! hehe [:p]

·
Registered
424 Posts
T O P I C R E V I E W

pub_crawler Posted - 02 Feb 2005 : 10:08:57 I have been looking at the pics u guys have been putting on the site, and there is some great golfs out there. 1 thing I have noticed is they are all sparkling, dont get me wrong I am washing mine most chances I get but can never get the shine I have seen on some of the pics here. What polish do u recomend? At the moment I have been using Auto Glym and Turtle Wax but only getting an average shine, also any recomendations for a good alloy cleaner / restorer

If you use the search button you shall find many topics about this...

For some unknown reason the majority of user's on here are swissol addicts(a bit like upmarket crack heads)lol....But IMO this site is for enthusiasts who have little knowledge of profesional detailing,but great knowledge in other aspects...

Now im off to hide in the corner.............[B)][B)]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Too much quoteage! [:)]

tylerama hits the nail on the head there!

Products that transformed car cleaning for me the most are the following:

Clay Bar

Clearkote Hand Glaze

Micro Fibre cleaning towel

Toodle off to seriousperformance and send an email to Alex, he will sort you out with -10% too!

Swissol, whats that? [:p]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote: posted by squky clean on 02/02/2005 11:30:31

For some unknown reason the majority of user's on here are swissol addicts(a bit like upmarket crack heads)lol....But IMO this site is for enthusiasts who have little knowledge of profesional detailing,but great knowledge in other aspects...

I have read many posts from you saying this squky clean, but i have yet to read one which recommends alternative products to achieve similar results.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 02/02/2005 13:21:49

I have read many posts from you saying this squky clean, but i have yet to read one which recommends alternative products to achieve similar results.

Yeah, come on squky - show us your results [:p]

I'm using p21s wax myslef at the moment. Great results and easy to use too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you want to now anything about detailing or products you want to have a look on roadfly!Their american but i think they are crazier about detailing than us brits.steve on their forum does the guru reports?Put most products in their search you get plenty of info!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Shine on this was achieved with Meguiars products. Need I say more!?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3 stage kit and then quick detailer. All available from www.cleanandshiney.co.uk

·
Registered
424 Posts
col.mc Posted - 02 Feb 2005 : 13:21:49

Now im off to hide in the corner.............

Well take a look at the 3 step by chrisB its self explanitary really dude..

If you went through my post's you'd see that ive mentioned a few products,in the past which give at least equal results to more expensive products.

But to be honest its all about preperation, and correct application...

Any tom Richard or harry can make the paint shine...But i have yet to see any pics of cars on this forum that have direct sunlight on them to show up swirls/imperfections.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Very true, however the right products DO help.

I think your very sceptical about others work to be honest. We all have swirl marks deep down [;)] Wax, hand glazes, whatever just disguses them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
oxford Posted - 02 Feb 2005 : 19:21:58

Very true, however the right products DO help.

I think your very sceptical about others work to be honest. We all have swirl marks deep down Wax, hand glazes, whatever just disguses them.

Yes im slightly sceptical about other people's work(after all we all think we are the best etc etc...)

I have NO SWIRL MARKS on my car not even deep dowm....I did when i first purchased the car, but with a little colour sanding (using an EPTG for saftey), followed by work with an orbital with varoius compounds, followed with an random orbital and various polishes, followed with a nice glaze resulted in a swirl free finish.Not hide swirls...Removed them....[^]

I have some pics somewhere on my drive i shall find and post a before & after later...[^][^]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have used Clearkote and love it!!, I've yet to use the stage 3 from Megs,(got the set for xmas!)[^] but I have applied the Diamond Brite stuff from the group buy (after using stage 1 - paint cleaner- of the megs products)

and I must say It looks good!!

Posted Image

1 - 17 of 17 Posts