Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to upgrade my brakes but i cant decide what route to go.. Brembo's, R32 or the ECS Stage 2 (Porsche) Brakes. I know the Brembo kit is about ?750 but i have no ideas on the cost of the R32 or the ECS

Anyone wanna comment? What brakes are the best and why and what are the benefits of each?

cat

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
As usual with VW the R32 kit is nothing to particularly write home about. Really p*sses me off that VW supposedly in there 'flagship' mk4 couldn't bring themselves to stick the lovely Brembo 4 pots on from the Leon, which are leagues on. The R32 kit is just a slightly bigger one pot caliper.

Why do VW do that??!! Seat is supposedly below VW in the pecking order, and they give them all the nice kit!!!

Deffo Brembo all the way!! [:D]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I thought the R32's were 2pot callipers? If you can stretch to it I believe the ECS setup is very good, it's certainly what I'm going for when I can afford it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote: posted by cat on 16/12/2004 10:49:27

The time has come to upgrade my brakes but i cant decide what route to go.. Brembo's, R32 or the ECS Stage 2 (Porsche) Brakes. I know the Brembo kit is about ?750 but i have no ideas on the cost of the R32 or the ECS

Anyone wanna comment? What brakes are the best and why and what are the benefits of each?

cat

Also depends on what wheels are on your car as to what calipers will fit easiest. Brembo's are probably the best quality bargain brakes you can get, however their downside is physical size (read chunky!) so some wheels have spoke clearance probs. Sometimes fixed by small spacers when req'd sometimes not.

They stop very very well. I ran these on my MKIV which ran 391bhp. Never faded stopped on a pin.

Performance pads now avaialble from the likes of Ferodo in DS2500 form, and also Carbon Metallic's for full on track use, but road friendly (if not a tad dusty)

You can't ignore the $ exchange rate tho..

·
Registered
771 Posts
Cat, I've been thinking about purchasing the ECS Stage 2v2 and Stage 1 rear kit for ages. If you fancy splitting the delivery costs let me know [:)]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Im also planning on the ECS stage 2v2 kit this coming year as I can run them without spacers on my BBS RC's unlike Brembo's.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by evilhomer on 16/12/2004 11:49:10

As usual with VW the R32 kit is nothing to particularly write home about. Really p*sses me off that VW supposedly in there 'flagship' mk4 couldn't bring themselves to stick the lovely Brembo 4 pots on from the Leon, which are leagues on. The R32 kit is just a slightly bigger one pot caliper.

Why do VW do that??!! Seat is supposedly below VW in the pecking order, and they give them all the nice kit!!!

Deffo Brembo all the way!! [:D]

Eh?

The R32 brakes are 2pot... and are very very good by all accounts. Yes, they aren't as good as the CupraR's Brembos, but they are more than up for the task!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by Badger5 on 16/12/2004 16:37:08

Also depends on what wheels are on your car as to what calipers will fit easiest. Brembo's are probably the best quality bargain brakes you can get, however their downside is physical size (read chunky!) so some wheels have spoke clearance probs. Sometimes fixed by small spacers when req'd sometimes not.

They stop very very well. I ran these on my MKIV which ran 391bhp. Never faded stopped on a pin.

Performance pads now avaialble from the likes of Ferodo in DS2500 form, and also Carbon Metallic's for full on track use, but road friendly (if not a tad dusty)

You can't ignore the $ exchange rate tho..

Well I have audi RS6 wheels on my car, im not sure of the offset, but itlooks tight in at the hubs. Will the Brembo's fit without massive spacers?

cat

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooo!!!

(With my et38 RS4 rep's I have 6mm spacers on the front)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Bill sums it up as usual about the Brembo kit he sells which is definitely the best value for money.

The ECS Stage 2v2 is now around ?1100 IIRC on current exchange rate. The Porsche Boxster (rear) callipers are made by Brembo. What did it for me was;

- Floating discs (having warped 2 expensive sets of solid 312mm EBC discs)

- Compact calliper no spacers required.

- Monobloc (one piece) calliper

- Cadmium plating - no disc corrosion

- Porsche logo in full effect[:eek:)].

- I love the way they look and always glance back at the car[:D]

Posted Image

Posted Image

This topic is also running with some discussion about same thing.

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47202

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Reflex TDI,

Did you ever find out if it was a caliper problem that was wrong with your car before? I remember when you first got them you thought it may have been sticking? Also, how much are replacement discs?

Thanks [:D]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by thechief on 16/12/2004 20:45:56

Did you ever find out if it was a caliper problem that was wrong with your car before? I remember when you first got them you thought it may have been sticking? Also, how much are replacement discs?

The sticking calliper quickly sorted itself out after some trackday abuse - always a good way to give your brakes a proper rinse! As you recall, a pot in the left calliper would grab especially in the wet and "tweak" the car when the accelerator was next applied.

I don't know how much the replacement discs are - ECS seem to have changed their site around as I'm sure they showed them before - email Richard @ JBR he is always good at getting back to you.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=1.8T&model=Golf%20IV&submodel=&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20Stage%202v2

If you weren't so far away I'd say come and have a go. Your new motor sounds the business BTW[^]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I had the original 288mm setup upgraded to 312mm TT jobbies on my Golf GT TDi PD130 (with tuning box), which I eventually decided although good was still wanting.

An R32 front/rear setup came available and I pluped for it.

They took alot of getting used to for two reasons:

1) They were excellent and prodigeous at stopping the car....very very capable.

2) They added alot of weight to the un-sprung mass, giving a stiffer steering feel at speed and adversely affecting the cars' damper setup.

The car became much more sensitive to any kind of bump in the road.

On the whole a great setp for the ?300 paid.

Remember you're modding a golf - and dare i suggest perhaps ought not to get too carried away with overdoing it for the sake of it.

Unless you're into track days like James, expensive brakes can be poor value.

Good pads and grooved discs can work wonders on any setup size for size.

Good luck with your decision anyways!

and it took a long while to get used to

·
Registered
214 Posts
If,you can justify the additional expense, I'd recommend the Porsche set-up.

I've driven a friends Leon Cupra R on a few ocassions and the brakes are really good, but not nearly as good as the Porsche kit.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 16/12/2004 21:17:37

Quote: posted by thechief on 16/12/2004 20:45:56

The sticking calliper quickly sorted itself out after some trackday abuse - always a good way to give your brakes a proper rinse! As you recall, a pot in the left calliper would grab especially in the wet and "tweak" the car when the accelerator was next applied.

I don't know how much the replacement discs are - ECS seem to have changed their site around as I'm sure they showed them before - email Richard @ JBR he is always good at getting back to you.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=1.8T&model=Golf%20IV&submodel=&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20Stage%202v2

If you weren't so far away I'd say come and have a go. Your new motor sounds the business BTW[^]

Thanks James,

Got to say im a big fan of your car, nearly wet my pants when i read all the parts it was away getting fitted [!] If im ever down your way i'll hit you up to get a look of the car [8D] All i need to do is convince my g/f Emma that we should go to the states for our summer holiday so i can pick up some brakes [:I][:D]

1 - 20 of 63 Posts