Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be needing to replace my front and rear GT TDI brake discs and pads. They are quite worn as are 4 years old from new.

Obviously I dont want to go daft on the money side of things, but am after suitable upgrades.

Now wether i go the road for a performance kit, or just upgrade the discs eg. brembo, EBC, etc and pads to suit - I dont know yet.

I need info please and oppinions. If I could keep the original calipers and that it would be more convienient but am open to suggestions.

I have done my own research, but wanted to put this one to the forum also.

Cheers,

GT 130

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi mate

I went for Brembo discs all round (OEM spec, not drilled or anything) with standard rear pads, and fast road pads at the front. Think they were Pagid but not 100 per cent.

The pads are good cause they're black, not yellow or green! and aside from that they're a good upgrade.

I have warped my front discs, but i've done that on every car i've owned, so don't think it's due to inferior discs. Mine a 288mm, i think yours will be 280mm discs. A lot of people will recommend a 312mm conversion, but I couldn't be bothered. You could try balck diamond stuff too.....

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No his are 288mm.  I would just go for some good quality discs and pads.  NCR1 seems to have a good set up. I ahve Brembo Grooved and EBC GreenStuff.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i have 288's on the front standard fella.  can the calipers move atall if i get the 312's, that way i can use the originals with a slight repositioning?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You'll need the lot mate, carriers, calipers and discs.

You're adding 24mm on to the diameter..............

Less hassle to get fast road pads, and if you really want to, drilled/grooved discs.

Be prepared for some noise if you go grooved. Personally i'd go drilled if anything at all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
thought with 288's he just needs the 312 caliper carriers????

I would contact GSF for discs and pads if you want to keep the standard sizes. Mucho cheapness

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
yeah i have 288's on the front standard fella. can the calipers move atall if i get the 312's, that way i can use the originals with a slight repositioning?
You only need the carriers. The calipers are exactly the same and will fit the new carriers, the hoses are fine too as the carriers actually give them a little more slack. The choice of discs and pads is up to you, I would suggest if you don't drive like a loony then std parts are quite capable of stopping you effectively.

If your budget is really tight then a good set of fast road pads on std discs will work just as well.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the info - all adds up to be well useful cheers - keep it coming tho please [:)]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My spare wheel in the boot is a sizeable steel rim, and when i had a punture in one of my brand new 235mm 19 inch tyres i had to use the spare breifly for the first time (not fun i was not happy..)

anyway, what im getting at is that this spare will have to be able to fit over the new brakes god forbid should i need it. The tyre on the spare was a 205mm and the rim must be a minimum 15inch steelie im sure as it was big alright. Will this fit over a 312mm disc upgrade and calipers?

Anyone know of hand? I need to go and measure everything up, but thought id ask before hand.

Are all golfs spares the same size or is mine bigger due to the model ive got? What does a 1.4 have for example? surely not a 205mm standard tyre as that would be bigger than the other four on the car!!

Anyway just a few concerns i have...

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
anyway, what im getting at is that this spare will have to be able to fit over the new brakes god forbid should i need it. The tyre on the spare was a 205mm and the rim must be a minimum 15inch steelie im sure as it was big alright. Will this fit over a 312mm disc upgrade and calipers?
If you do get a flat on the front, fit an alloy from the rear, and put the steelie on the rear, which has smaller brakes.

Hurry up dude, you ain't got much brake pad or disc left by the sound of it!

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your not wrong there dude!  They probably would be ok for a while if driven at snails speeds, but i dont like the thought that they "could" let me down.... should i need to brake suddenly - so yes i am organising it all at the moment...!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to steal your thread fella, but I too am at the point of changing brakes.....

So can I just confirm things... I've got a Gt Tdi pd130 and if upgrading the only thing I'll need to swapp over is the carriers???

The calipers will be fine ????

Just about to take a trip to the breakers so don't won't to miss anything out...

Cheers

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had 288mm Black Diamond grooved discs and Mintex break pads on the front of my Bora 1.6 16v and it was a pretty good combination. All in all, with new solid rear discs and another set of Mintex pads, the total came to about ?240 fitted with DOT 5.1 brake fluid as well. I instantly noticed the difference - no brake fade at all when I was pushing it hard and it stopped significantly quicker!

On the Volvo I had before that, I had ATE grooved front discs - cheap and chearful from Euro Car Parts with EBC brake pads, and for a cheap set up (?100 fitted), I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised. I'd consider them again.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
So can I just confirm things... I've got a Gt Tdi pd130 and if upgrading the only thing I'll need to swapp over is the carriers???

The calipers will be fine ????
Yes, jack it up and unbolt everything including the disc.

Hang/wedge the calipers out of the way (hang using string/wire DON'T let them hang on the hose)

Bolt on the 312mm carriers (TT/V6/Late V5 etc) with new 312mm discs and re-assemble with new pads.

No need to bleed brakes or touch the calipers at all, the whole process is the same as changing the discs as you need to remove the carriers to do that too

BTW Boraman - well done on the choice of pads, Mintex are very good for fast road, which many folk forget and try to save money by getting 'cheap' perfromance pads - cheap and perfromance don't often go hand in hand......

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks RichardW. I hadn't had any experience with Mintex pads until then but they were very good. Although a bit more expensive as you said, they were ideal for B-road blasts. I'm in the process of working out what brake upgrades I want on the TDI 130 I have now, but I will definately go for Mintex pads again. [:D]

Btw, has anyone had any bad experiences with drilled discs? I've had a couple of garages tell me that they're weaker than grooved disks due to the drilled holes, and that this can lead them to shatter in some circumstances (I assume long periods of very heavy breaking). I'm curious to know if this is crap or if there's actually some truth behind it. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I eventually got round to doing a 312mm conversion, but I'm not happy at the mo cause I've warped yet another set of discs!

They aren't very old either.

Got them from the TT shop - EBC Green pads, can't remember the disc brand. May try oem brakes next or Black Diamond if I get a lottery win!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Just to let you know 16 inch steel wheels will fit over 312mm brakes on the front.

Avoid EBC as there useless only thing there good at is warping!

I run Pagid pads and discs from GSF and they work well

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Got the 312mm to go on over holiday. Give 'golfturbo' a pm and see what he can sort you out[Y]

Had Brembo's on the TT, couldn't fault them with Pagid blues

1 - 20 of 23 Posts