Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last month I've had an issue with the brakes on my GTi TDi where in the brakes wont work on the first attempt. I can press the pedel to the floor and it wont do anything. But the second I lift my foot off and press them again they are fine. It only seems to be an issue in the wet or after I have washed the car and the brakes get wet. Has anyone else had a problem with this and know how to solve it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had this problem after washing my car in very cold weather conditions, although i had very low brake pads. changed pads & everything is now fine. 1st port of call would be to have a look at your pads mate

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not had a chance to do anything about it at the moment, I've been bogged down big time with work. There is plently of meat left on the pads all around so I don't believe that they are causing the issue.

My first port of call would be to get them bled properly to see if that makes a difference. I just find it a bit weird that they work perfectly fine after the first attempt at braking.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you have a very open spoke design wheel then when it rains water sits on the disc and has to be wiped off by the pads first.

Especially at motorway speeds.

Bit unnerving!

All the new VWs use the ABS system to occassionally brush the pads on the rotor to clear the standing water off them whenever you have the wipers turned on.

You can do this manually yourself when you're driving around in the wet if you remember.

Worth checking they are bled correctly though, but if they weren't then they would not work correctly in the dry as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a very open spoke design wheel then when it rains water sits on the disc and has to be wiped off by the pads first.
Especially at motorway speeds.
Bit unnerving!
All the new VWs use the ABS system to occassionally brush the pads on the rotor to clear the standing water off them whenever you have the wipers turned on.
You can do this manually yourself when you're driving around in the wet if you remember.
Worth checking they are bled correctly though, but if they weren't then they would not work correctly in the dry as well.
Yes thats what I thought that it would be all the time if the brakes were bled problem but it only seems to be when it's wet. I have the standard montys on at the moment so they aren't massively open but I could see there would be a chance of it happening.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
This happens on all the mk4 Golfs I've owned (2x GTI's, R32).

It was documented in Autocar Magazine many years ago when they ran a Bora 4motion as a long term test car too.

The only thing to do is to occasionally dab the brake pedal to wipe the discs.

Mind you it only happens on wet motorway driving, but it is still un-nerving when driving in fast moving rush hour motorway traffic

For what it's worth, I've found that this problem hasnt happened to me since I've fitted the EBC yellow brake pads. Don't know if it's the brake pad material, or the fact the pads have a big single groove in the middle of them?

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Driven a mkiv golf from new, 10 years, 150k miles, and also a bora for 110k mles, never had this problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update on this gents, it turned out to be the brake master cylinder was leaking internally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts