Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give us any ideas on a brake upgrade for my mk5. Also if anyone knows any decent places in the North West to get it done!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Other than the GTI brakes, the only ones I've seen are the Brembos
which, at ?1200 before fitting, seem over priced to me. Im waiting
until the summer to see what ECS come out with once the Americans get
the MKV.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The ECS kit is bound to be similar money. All they have to do is manufacture a different carrier for the MkV hub and PCD pattern for the bell and the Stage 2v2 kit will fit. The benefits of this over the Brembo GT Junior are a more compact monobloc Brembo/Porsche calliper, no requirement for spacers and the superb ECS Tru-Float discs.

ECS should pull their finger out and get the product to market.[:cool:]

AmD are also just about to launch their Porsche "Big Red" conversion for the MkV using huge 993 Turbo callipers, and this will be in the region of ?1500. I was in chatting to Ed yesterday and the product is expected very soon.

PS the Sportec brakes he has fitted to his MkIV will only clear behind 19" rims [:|]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sadsack if you want a lower cost route to better braking, the 345mm Audi A3 3.2Quattro discs fit, as do the 312mm from the GTI. Foxy has done the research and has part numbers etc.[:)]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You have got to help me out here - are the brakes on the GTI inadequate in some way, is this not  safety issue?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You have got to help me out here - are the brakes on the GTI inadequate in some way, is this not safety issue?
Not at all. The MkV GTI has 312mm discs as standard which is what many MkIV owners here upgraded to.

Some of us have been tempted with even better braking, going from a single piston to a 4 piston calliper, hence the chat about Brembo and Porsche kits. They are phenomenal and suited to tuned cars, fast road use and track days. The trouble is, once you've got used to them, there's no going back. Its one of the things I enjoy most about my car.[:$][8-|]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I was quite happy with the upgrade to 312mm on my MKIV and that was runnig 220+ bhp.  So for now I will be more than happy with the same setup on the MKV.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The thing is, as my girlfriend lives in the US, I can get her to order
me parts from ECS. Their six pot Cayenne conversion (for the MKIV) is
still cheaper than the 4 pot Brembo conversion. Their four pot
conversion (again MKIV) runs at about ?800. If they price the MKV
version similarly then thats a big saving.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Sadsack if you want a lower cost route to better braking, the 345mm Audi A3 3.2Quattro discs fit, as do the 312mm from the GTI. Foxy has done the research and has part numbers etc.[:)]
Hmmm did he ever publish prices for them though, the 343 conversion required new calipers though didn't it?

J.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been looking to upgrade mine to 312mm discs, I have some TT calipers, which were used on a Mk4, however the mounting holes seem to be too close together for the Mk5.

Would be grateful if anyone knew what bits to use.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I've been looking to upgrade mine to 312mm discs, I have some TT calipers, which were used on a Mk4, however the mounting holes seem to be too close together for the Mk5.

Would be grateful if anyone knew what bits to use.
I think you'll find that you can upgrade to 312mm discs from the GTI, retaining your existing calliper but using a larger calliper carrier to mount it further out. Foxy has done the upgrade (although he snaffled the GTI brakes complete from VW Racing). He posted a detailed thread but I have no chance at all of finding it on the forum in its current form. PM him for details. Its basically the same principle as the MkIV upgrade but with MkV bits, which as you have established, are different.[:)]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Has anyone followed this up for the Audi A3 3.2 conversion? Im
interested in using the A3 brakes but need to know a full list of the
parts that Id need to order.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Has anyone followed this up for the Audi A3 3.2 conversion? Im interested in using the A3 brakes but need to know a full list of the parts that Id need to order.
As I mentioned above, Foxy has all this information so I suggest you send him a PM.[:)]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry for the delay - been away since Friday evening........

These part no's refer to the new shape A3 front brake parts....and are fully cross-compatible with Golf Mk 5.
I have given the part numbers in good faith but you MUST check before ordering.....

Prices are for guidance, and are via myself (your dealer will quote you way more!) - plus vat

288 x 25mm Disc Setup
Disc: 1K0 615 301T
Carriers: 1K0 615 125 or /.......125-D
Calipers: 1K0 615 123 or / ......124

312 x 25mm Disc Setup
Disc: 1K0 615 301AA - ?27.89
Carriers: 1K0 615 125-C - ?58.94
Calipers: 1K0 615 123-B or / ......124-B - ?56.06

345 x 30mm Disc Setup
Disc: 1K0 615 301M
Carriers: 1K0 615 125-B
Calipers: 1K0 615 123-C or / ......124-C

I would imagine the 345mm front brake setup (from the A3 3.2 Quatt) to cost a total of around ?390.00 including vat.

I have looked across at the only Golf 288mm brake setup listed on ETKA and curiously, it seems to use the same caliper part number as the 312mm A3.

I firmly believe that the calipers are probably identical across the range.

Luckily, i have a complete 312mm GTi setup on the car, and a 288mm setup off the car - and i'll see if i can list out the part numbers to fill in some of the 'gaps'.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Cheers Foxy, are the rears equally compatible? Im thinking of getting the full A3 3.2 Quattro setup.....
I can't see why not, but remember there is likely some difference between 2wd and 4wd drive car setups - as per the Mk4s........so, in a nutshell, get the rears off the 312mm 2WD setup to go with the 334mm fronts

1 - 20 of 84 Posts