Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have the 2.0 FSi Petrol or 1.9/2.0 GT TDi, and want better stoppers, i may have good news for you.

Your existing setup is likely to be 288 x 25mm vented discs.

I have plans and details to offer a 312 x 25mm and a 345 x 30mm conversion.

These are 112/5 PCD of course.

312 x 25

Pair discs, pair caliper carriers.......maybe pads too but checking that. Existing calipers remain.

345 x 30

Pair discs, pair caliper carriers, pair calipers, set pads.......maybe brake hoses too but checking that.

Anyone fancy better brakes on their mk5 yet??

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 312 conversion should be economical - all OEM parts too.

The 345 conversion is fully OEM too, but the calipers, although still one-pot, may be expensive.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
To be honest Foxy, if Im going to swap my brakes over I'd want at least a four pot conversion. Six pot may be overkill (as in the ECS conversion).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im going to see how these fit, they fit on my friends audi and I have 3 sets, worth a try. the wheels wont clear them, but will worry about that afterwards

Posted Image

rich

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by Cupramax on 25/02/2005 19:43:06

I'd be interested in the 345 x 30 kit. I take it this is pretty much what the A3 3.2 and Golf R32 had as standard ???...

The R32 is 100/5 pcd, not 112/5, and i know they have 334x32 discs.

The 345x30 discs are 112/5 and an Audi part [;)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 25/02/2005 23:34:31

The 345x30 discs are 112/5 and an Audi part [;)]

Yes, thats what I thought. Any idea on pricing?

Thanks...[:)]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
How much would the pads off the 3.2 A3 be?

I still don't like how little the A3 brakes bite. I drove a 3 series saloon during the week and nearly went through the windscreen by pressing the brakes as hard as I was used to having to do on my A3.

·
Registered
201 Posts
why is everyone changing brakes? is everyone going on trackdays? if so,wouldnt be sensible to upgrade

the pads first and see? seems like a lot of money to dunk what id a perfectly good set of brakes

if you get fade on the road you should slow down:)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The brakes on the A3 leave a little to be desired. I'm not sure if I can get away with just a set of pagid fast road pads or whether I need to go for bigger brakes. Plus I'm planning on chipping my car at some point in the not too distant future...

Foxy,

Whats the price going to be fr the 312 discs and calliper carriers?

Cheers,

J.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave

I think it's a sensible approach to consider brake upgrades after performance upgrades.....even so, better brakes can give you potential for better pace across twisty-turnies......

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Take an A3 for a drive Dave and see why we want bigger discs/pads...the bits on them is terrible compared to my 03 GTI that I had.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts