Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting a joke - At least 3 in 10 (and that is a v conservative est.) have brake lights gone, plus mine personally have gone 3 times.

Is this a common fault??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Individual lights or all of them?

Brake light switches are very common, latest puple switches seem to be pretty good, care needs to be taken when installing them though as they have changed the way they are fitted.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Quote: posted by darthmal86 on 07/10/2004 01:17:49

yea i always see many golfs with the rear right top brake light not working......

Yeah, often see them too.

Mine have gone twice too in the last 6 months or so.[V]

Plus the brake light switch.[V]

·
Registered
220 Posts
yip i've had the same one go 3 times,then an indicator go and another bulb on the other side,then my brake lights went all togetther due to the brake light switch being knackered! i do see alot of VW/Audi lights not working actually

·
Registered
60 Posts
I found my brake light bulbs and tail light bulbs for that matter kept blowing, then I bought a set of bulbs from a stealer and all has been ok for about 9 months! I bought the old bulbs from halfords!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I feel like i am constatly changing my brake light bulbs.Changed both last week and now the drivers side brake light bulb has gone.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you sit on the brakes at traffic lights etc? That'll shorten bulb life quite a bit.

The last time I changed a blown brake light bulb was in 1996!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Its apparently best to replace brake bulbs in pairs. My nearside one kept blowing and then I replaced them both together. They havent blown since and that was about a year ago. I bought bosch bulbs from halfords cos cheap ones were rubbish. Oh and try not to touch the bulb when putting it in because this shortens the life of the bulb

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Maybe ill try some better quality ones.I cant believe that cheap bulbs would only last a week tho.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've had loads go. Left and right side. Now replaced them for bosch bulbs not cheapy halfords ones, and not had one go since. (touch wood!! Was the same story in my dad's passat too. Thik you have to be careful to get the right power rating ones at halfords too as there are 5w 10w and 21w that all fit (if memory serves)

·
Registered
808 Posts
2 usual problems are that only one is replaced- always replace both, and the other one is cheep bulbs, vw supply 'osram' bulbs which are good but most dealers buy in a cheeper alternative and pocket about 80 pence pure profit over the price of the ones they should be supplying, doesnt sound much but if you sell 20 bulbs a day and make a profit from the osrams, imagine how great ?16 extra is a day for selling cheaper ones!!

Dont skrimp make sure its good bulbs, it makes a difference, especialy to your rear bumper in poor weather and your lights aint working ;)

Taillamp bulb 5W (tinted taillamps 10W)

Brakelamp 21W

·
Registered
9 Posts
... my friend has a theory that the rear bulbs go frequently on Golfs because of the weight of the rear door when you close it... do you guys who have had bulbs go in a week regularly use your rear door ? (sorry that's not meant to sound that rude !)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.