Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to my EPC light problem thread, and the fact that all the brake lights are inop when its on, I have got a quote for a new brake light switch

The parts advisor knew the part number off the top of his head, 1J0 945 511E, but said it may be another one, which he quoted as 191 945 515B. Even with my chassis number ETKA couldn't decipher which one is applicable.

I asked if one was for with cruise control and the other without, but he said he didn't know. I thought this might be the case maybe as some cars have 4 pins for the cruise control option, and 2 for without.

Only problem I have is if I buy both, he doesnt seem keen on taking the one I dont need back as it is an electrical item and we all know what dealers are like taking electrical items back for credit.

Anyone got any ideas? I know its only a matter of ?20 for both anyway, but I dont like wasting money if I dont have to. The car is going into the workshop where I work next week to have it fitted and hopefully sort the EPC problem.

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
611 Posts
Why not look at the switch on your car at present, see if it is 2 or 4 pin and read off any part numbers on it. Alternatively just remove the switch and take it in the dealers with you.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i'm honest, its a mixture between laziness and a bad leg that means I would struggle to get up in their and do the job, or even get a part number to match off it, hence why it is easier to leave the car with one of the technicians in the workshop where I work to do the job in his lunchtime for a few quid.

So am I right in saying that the difference is with or without cruise do you know, ie 2/4 pin or whatever?

·
Registered
611 Posts
If i'm honest, its a mixture between laziness and a bad leg that means I would struggle to get up in their and do the job, or even get a part number to match off it, hence why it is easier to leave the car with one of the technicians in the workshop where I work to do the job in his lunchtime for a few quid.

So am I right in saying that the difference is with or without cruise do you know, ie 2/4 pin or whatever?
I'm not sure. However my V5 has a 4 pin switch, it also has factory fitted cruise control.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I didn't even know they listed the two pin one for a MK4,i think you will find it is the 4 pin one to be honest cos i've supplied 100's on MK4's and i can't remember any of them being 2 pin.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've had this too. Mine's a 4-pin one too (TDI) and I ahve cruise control, but I fitted thet myself. At the time they weren't sure either and weren't too keen about taking one back. But I said to them that if they sell me the wrong one, it's their fault as they built the car and should know, so I told him he would take it back if it didn't fit (I was quite rude, but I was having a bad day and had already been kept waiting for a good 10min).

But it did fit. I would get the 4 pin, and if it doesn't work, take it back and kick up a fuss!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't even know they listed the two pin one for a MK4,i think you will find it is the 4 pin one to be honest cos i've supplied 100's on MK4's and i can't remember any of them being 2 pin.
Would that be the 1J0 945 511E then that the parts advisor knew off the top of his head do you know?

Cheers all for your help.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yes thats the one,he knows the number because he probably sells one every day of his life,not that it's a common fault or anything ;)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Part arrived about 30 mins ago.

The workshop at work are a little busy today, so I might have a crack this evening

I presume it is just a matter of unplugging, unclipping and then doing the reverse to refit. It doesnt have to be set up on a computer or anything daft like that??

Once fitted, I was just going to get my mate with vag.com to clear any faults and that should be that?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm struggling to remember, but theres something odd about fitting this switch, the plunger has to be rotated before fitting or something like that.

Hopefully someone who has actually changed the switch can advise further.

Theres no setup on the computer, just clear any codes.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm presuming they would still be logged in the ECU until they are physically cleared by vag.com. Either that or they disappear after a set period, either time or number of engine starts???

With regards to it disappearing, are you refering to the EPC light not coming on?? That is what should happen as the faulty switch brings on the light when its inop to let you know of a fault somewhere, which is more specifically logged in the ECU and obtained using vag.com, which in my case was brake switch. Coupled with the brake lights being inop when the EPC light is on, and the fact it seems to be common fault, the brake light switch seems to be the certain culprit.

Once replaced with a new non faulty switch, I would expect the EPC light to not come on again, unless it registers another fault in the future.

I am going to get the faults cleared anyway by my mate with vag.com as I have it to hand and piece of mind of getting the problem hopefully sorted.

If someone could confirm if there is a specific fitting procedure or not that would be great.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've printed it off and left in on the passenger seat along with the switch so that the technician that does it has no excuse if he breaks it lol

Cheers for the link BTW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts