Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have seen a few brake judder posts but didn't really find what I needed

I had brake judder so decided to change my front discs and pads - that seemed to cure that for about 2 weeks but now its back. I had a trashed bush joint and it was changed.

I dont sit on my brakes at the lights etc

I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting this judder - tracking and allignmnet seem fine

Starting to wonder if its damaged suspension, but they should have picked that up during MOT. Car pulls left too so might take to garage and get tracking and allignment re-checked

any suggestions greatly appreciated

·
Registered
512 Posts
Usually it would be down to warped discs if you are feeling it through the pedal whilst braking? I think it could be knackered track rod ends.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ive got same problem mate and garage said its the abs. if i brake even slow you can feel the vibrations from the pedal, its been hell in the ice as soon as i braked the wheels started locking up and sliding....dont know if its the same with yours just another thing to check out maybe?.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah mine does it when the abs kicks in. felt it a few times when all the snow was about. Feels like the pedal rejescts your foot from braking. so maybe its your ABS kicking in at the wrong time ?

Also maybe a cheap option, is to have your wheels balanced. as before i got my wheels balanced i used to get wobble from my steering wheel sometimes when i was braking.

·
Registered
183 Posts
im sure you probably already know this but if you start braking hard when you just fit new discs they can warp..just that you said it seemed ok for a few weeks after you fited them then it started. you havent been braking hard have you with the new ones and warped them?

if its the abs im not sure about the cure tbh might be a sensor im sure someone will tell you who knows more about it than me.

·
pauly4226
935 Posts
did you fit the brake discs and pads yourself? were the mating surfaces of the disc/drive flange spotlessly clean?.strip the whole lot out,clean,inspect and refit.copper slip all brake pad contact surfaces,make sure the caliper slides on its mounting pins and is not binding.refit and bed in for between 150 &200 miles,gentle braking only.any wear in joints ,or bushes will manifest under any braking situation. generally speaking when the abs kicks in it is only felt thro the brake pedal,any other wear issues will be felt thro the pedal and steering wheel.hope this helps mate

·
Registered
494 Posts
When it judders, does it happen only at fixed speed? say 40mph? if so, quite likely warp disc. IF speed varies, then probably worn bushes somewhere...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Usually if you feel a judder through the pedal it's rear brakes. That's what I've always beleived.

Does it pull to the left only when you brake, if it does you should check the caliper is free and not binding on at all.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Usually if you feel a judder through the pedal it's rear brakes. That's what I've always beleived.

Does it pull to the left only when you brake, if it does you should check the caliper is free and not binding on at all.
well why would it only be your rear brakes, your front brakes are connected to the same brake pedal lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this is a old thread but this is the problem I currently have and cannot work out what it is I don't have a ABS light but it does judder/vibrate ONLY when braking slowly and coming to a stop its been driving me crazy since I bought the car!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts