Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of selling my mum's auto Golf and have just had its MOT done. To pass i had to free rear brakes as they were binding.

I took brake pads out and freed them up, copper greased them up and popped back in again. Car passed but i noticed on way back that brake fluid warning came on. I've bought some fluid and topped it up as it was pretty empty.

I noticed that when I had my foot on the brake in traffic (AUTOMATIC Car) the pedal felt like it was slighly slipping away to the floor. Bacically didn't feel right and felt like it kept loosing pressure.

By the time i've got home the fluid lights back on and there's no fluid left - I never touched the brake lines when i freed the brake pads so not sure whats going on.

Problem is I need to sell the car for my mum as she needs the money but I can't see for leaks when it peeing it down, plus not sure where i'm suppose to be looking for the leak etc - any ideas or help? what could be causing this

·
uk-mkivs
1,572 Posts
On the rear check where the brake line bolts to the caliper, the aluminium washers give way after a while & fluid will leak from there.

To repair means replacing that section of brake line, costs about £12 from VW for each side.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet, i'll have to jack it up tomorrow after the north west meet and have a look at the connection to caliper.

Will update ya [O]

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the rear check where the brake line bolts to the caliper, the aluminium washers give way after a while & fluid will leak from there.

To repair means replacing that section of brake line, costs about £12 from VW for each side.
Ha ha, top marks to this man here!!!

Nearside rear calipers got fluid all over it. Is it not just a case of swapping the washer on the bolt instead of the full line. I just wanna get this fixed asap as the car NEEDS to go NOW!!

Is there any other ways of fixing it without the wait till next weekend for the part and the time to do it?

·
uk-mkivs
1,572 Posts

Ha ha, top marks to this man here!!!

Nearside rear calipers got fluid all over it. Is it not just a case of swapping the washer on the bolt instead of the full line. I just wanna get this fixed asap as the car NEEDS to go NOW!!

Is there any other ways of fixing it without the wait till next weekend for the part and the time to do it?
Thought it was going to be that!

You could try replacing the alu washer but dont know how sucessful it would be, I would replace the whole brake line section for all it costs.

Safety 1st - it is the brakes after all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts