Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I ran my tank (almost) dry..ie about 15 miles range left..then I filled up ( at huuuugggeee expensive ) with BP Ultimate. I had a journey of around 100 motorway miles to do so thought it would be a good testing ground for this fuel.

Personally, I cannot tell the difference between it and Tesco diesel which is considerably cheaper and so won't be buying it again ( and there is no BP garage around for 10 miles or so... )

Does anyone else have any experiences of it ?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yesterday, I ran my tank (almost) dry..ie about 15 miles range left..then I filled up ( at huuuugggeee expensive ) with BP Ultimate. I had a journey of around 100 motorway miles to do so thought it would be a good testing ground for this fuel.

Personally, I cannot tell the difference between it and Tesco diesel which is considerably cheaper and so won't be buying it again ( and there is no BP garage around for 10 miles or so... )

I have to wonder about the advantages of these "special fuels" I used to try my BMW pertol on optimax and found no difference except extra cost.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With a remapped car, whatever difference that makes, I get about 2-3mpg
better on average. I can't tell any performance benefits, but I'd NEVER
use supermarket fuel. At least use a premium brand, BP normal, shell,
esso, whatever. Please do not use supermarket O/L. They buy from random
suppliers, basically who ever is cheapest on the day, and the fuel
quality is very random imho. BP Ultimate has lovely additves to keep
your engine nice and clean on the inside :D

edit: I'm not sure about diesel cars, but just look at the Evo test on
fuels with the new GTI. I forget the power increase from supermarket
fuel to optimax/ultimate, but it was around 10bhp iirc! Whether this
occurs every time or not, at least the decent fuels have additives and
clean your engine. There's a post on here somewhere from a VW tech
explaining how fuel injectors get clogged with supermarket fuels.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Give it another tank. I use BP ultimate all the time (for the last 2 years) and tried regular BP a fnew months back and I had forgotton how much off boost lag the TDi 150 has!!! I also get a lot less smoke so I guess my car is a lost cleaner inside. The only downside is the dashboard buzzing if I plant it with low revs in a high gear.

I'm guess that all compression ignition car benifit equally for higher Cetane where as petrol cars benifit most signicantly with Knock sensors (sure the FSi has these). BTW Shell has V power diesel in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't get any smoke anyway so i can't use that as a "feeler"...I could try another tankful I suppose..what price is this stuff usually ie non-mway prices...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The price appears to be random tbh. It's usually between 3-5p a litre more than BP regular diesel. Well worth it imho!
I use the petrolprices web site that was posted on here there is quite a variation of prices.

I forgot to mention its worth hunting down Shell Diesel Extra. It offers similar benfits but doesn't cost anymore than regular shell Diesel. Its got limited supply though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My 1.9 TDI MkV has been run almost entirely on supermarket diesel. I have occasionally used branded fuels for 2 or 3 tankfuls but didn't notice any difference in MPG or performance so just went back to supermarket diesel.

That said, I do notice a lot more soot coming out of the exhaust during heavy acceleration when using supermarket diesel. That hadn't particularily worried me until a couple of weeks back when the emissions warning light came on. I began to fear that all that soot had worn out the catalytic convertor in just 50,000 miles. Fortunately, a trip to the dealers resulted in them diagnosing a faulty inlet manifold flap whatever that is. After that scare however, I'm in two minds whether to go back to supermarket diesel.

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

·
Registered
139 Posts
My 1.9 TDI MkV has been run almost entirely on
supermarket diesel. I have occasionally used branded fuels for 2 or 3
tankfuls but didn't notice any difference in MPG or performance so just
went back to supermarket diesel.
I believe that you'll need to use several tanks to "flush" the
engine and clean it out. It is interesting that people get different
results though, although it's annoying that I can't explain why :p

·
Registered
643 Posts
I forgot to mention its worth hunting down Shell Diesel Extra. It offers similar benfits but doesn't cost anymore than regular shell Diesel. Its got limited supply though.
M6 Corley Services has it in case you're interested.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I used to use ultimate all the time, but its sooooo expensive now, I just use regular stuff, & TBH, I cant tell now, she still goes like stink [Y]

I do add a drop of millers diesel power plus to the tank too though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A while back I experimented a bit...

• Filled up a few times with Supermarket fuel and took a note of the average mpg and how the car ran in general
  • Filled up a few times with Regular diesel (i.e. Esso) and again took note of the average mpg and how the car ran
  • Filled up a few times with BP ultimate and took the same notes.

IMO there was no difference between the regular and BP ultimate diesel despite paying 4p more per ltr, however the difference between the supermarket fuel and regular (Esso) diesel was very present, the performance was much improved with Esso fuel and the fuel economy was far better. Never again will I fill up with supermarket fuel (despite the temptation of Tesco clubcard points!)!

Regular diesel for me from now on, unless something drastic happens and makes me switch to the likes of BP Ultimate.

The only premium fuel I used was BP ultimate therefore can't comments on the likes of Shells equivalent.

Fudge

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to use ultimate all the time, but its sooooo expensive now, I
Yesterday, on the M40, Ultimate was....102.9p[:|]. Even though my employer pays all my fuel, I just couldn't justify any more than 30 quids worth

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
BP ultimate is 96.9 pence near me. Browsing the DieselCar forum is a good idea (u get some really geeky diesel people on there). Shell Diesel Extra is near me (if ths search results are correct)[:D] I'll post back when I get to try it out.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read in the "letters" part of this months Evo about a guy who had taken part in a diesel fuel test, that was basically the same as Evo had done for petrol a couple of issues back. The results are in January's Diesel Car mag.

This guy says that they were unable to find any significant difference between supermarket diesel, "normal" ( eg Esso / Shell ) diesel and premium diesel and that the cetane rating made little difference either.

So it looks like its not worth the extra pennies but will try and find the article..

·
Registered
689 Posts
I find my car definately idles a little rougher on a cold morning if filled up from Tesco's.

But then again i have to drive past a Shell garage that stocks diesel extra, always at tesco prices to get to Tesco. [Y]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd probably do the same if the "performance" one was the same price...when I filled up in Coventry with Ultimate on Tuesday, it was 5p/litre more expensive & I can't justify that difference long term

·
Registered
33 Posts
With a remapped car, whatever difference that makes, I get about 2-3mpg better on average. I can't tell any performance benefits, but I'd NEVER use supermarket fuel. At least use a premium brand, BP normal, shell, esso, whatever. Please do not use supermarket O/L. They buy from random suppliers, basically who ever is cheapest on the day, and the fuel quality is very random imho. BP Ultimate has lovely additves to keep your engine nice and clean on the inside :D

edit: I'm not sure about diesel cars, but just look at the Evo test on fuels with the new GTI. I forget the power increase from supermarket fuel to optimax/ultimate, but it was around 10bhp iirc! Whether this occurs every time or not, at least the decent fuels have additives and clean your engine. There's a post on here somewhere from a VW tech explaining how fuel injectors get clogged with supermarket fuels.
Please provide proof that Supermarket?s buy from anywhere, absolute toddle mate. A family friend worked for a major petrol company for many years and I asked a about supermarket fuels, his reply was:

Most major superstores have now got there own additive which was been developed from major fuel producers i.e. BP, Shell. Petrol once refined is petrol, the difference is the additive, so they don?t buy from the cheapest they fill there tankers with fuel then add the additive, same stuff day in day out.

Also to quote for example here in the North west if you fill you car with BP fuel it will have been refined at Stanlow which is Shell owned, all BP do is add there additive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts