Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from the Seat dealer..... got a car that i really found hard to say no to.

August 03 Seat Leon Cupra 20vt

180bhp

13000 miles

Red

Brand new tyres

Immaculate

?11995 [:D]

Picking her up on Saturday. Only got ?6200 for the Golf, but that isn't that bad in my eyes considering the things that are gonna need changing on the car (tyres, brakes, dampers, bushes...). Also took out GAP insurance too as i got it at cost price.

Chuffed to bits with it, looks the business in red... is totally unmarked in and out! Engine combined with 6spd box almost feels like a different car altogether from the GTI!! Pick up and throttle response are much improved, but its the jump in handling that is brilliant. I found a lovely B-road not far from the dealers (who let me out on my own [:D]), and it totally inspired confidence from the off. Very very happy with it, a great all round package.

So only 3 more days with a Golf... tis just a shame that the GTI that i always wanted to own didnt really live upto expectations!

Expect pics galore come Saturday btw [;)]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Nice one Chris....finally an end to the what car should i get topics [;)][:p]

Hope you are happy with the Red Rocket.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and a hats off to David Penman Seat in Darlington.... the first every dealership ive ever used to make buying a car a joy... no the usual frustrating business. Top blokes, very friendly and helpful!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Enjoy the new car mate. Looks great in the picture !

Does this mean you will be off to the seat site now LOL ;-)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Never really liked the Leon tbh although the cupraR does look pretty mean, drove my mates pre facelift Cupra and didn't think that much of it tbh, handling is a bit better and it's a bit pokier of course, but build quality is from the class below. For a grand, chip + suspension, you could have a similar handling and performing car (plus insurance woes of course for modded cars) .

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the R was the ideal car... but it was gonna cost ?300 more a year insurance over the standard Cupra, not to mention the fuel consumption, 18" tyres, brembo pads etc.

Plus i finally realised that im never really gonna get the most out of a car with over 200bhp.. because of where most of my driving is. The R's are still at a minimum of ?14k at dealers too, which would be stretching myself to the limit financially!

More than happy with this car... cheaper to insure than the GTI, better fuel economy than the GTI whilst on my test drive, and it looks and feels much more the sportier car.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Congrats Chris..... I REALLY do hope you have made the right decision and dont get bored of it again> They are lovely cars, did it have any extras such as recaros or leathers?

So what wheels you opting for?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by Tim Sims on 03/11/2004 22:39:56

Congrats Chris..... I REALLY do hope you have made the right decision and dont get bored of it again> They are lovely cars, did it have any extras such as recaros or leathers?

So what wheels you opting for?

You and me both mate... its an expensive old hobby getting bored of cars!! [:D]

No real extra's.... the boring plain cloth seats are actually really comfy, and are quite supportive even around the shoulder area.

Not gonna change the wheels just yet, as the tyres are brand new all round, so it seems a bit of a waste! Might plump for some RS6 replica's or something in the future tho.... quite happy with the way the car looks in standard form tho tbh!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers for all the comments guys [:D]

I know a lot of you are thinking "But all this talk of Cupra Rs, Type-Rs etc, and you get a plain Cupra!!"... but its probably the best thing i couldve got as a compromise between a new low mileage car, condition, running costs and performance.

I think the difference in power between mine and the Cupra is difficult to pinpoint due to the 5 and 6spd boxes. The Cupra is quite definately more eager and stronger with much less of a 'lull' down low in terms of the power building. Sounds a damn sight nicer too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts