Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that my Mondeo has to go - very good car, but I wanted something a bit more upmarket.

So I'm back in a Volvo! I bought a S60R today - an absolute beauty - I had a D5 SE a couple of years ago and rated it very highly - the only downside being the handling.

The S60R handles very nicely - it has 3 suspension settings s electable on the dash - comfort, sport and advanced - and it also has 300bhp and AWD............

Its a 54 plate manual in deep pearl metallic blue, cream leather 12k miles on the clock - and paid £16.5k for it - an absolute steal IMO.

Pics to follow [:)]

·
Registered
730 Posts
"Bought a Volvo today"

Did you get free subscription to SAGA magazine with that, [;)]

Only kidding, i hear Volvo's are very comfy cruisers.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I've had 2 Volvo's before so heard all that before [:p]

Must confess, I saw an accident last week where an S60 hit the central reservation at around 80 mph and then a tree sideways after a blowout, and everyone walked away unhurt - makes you think a bit [:S]

But really its the combination of 360bhp (after remap), s electable suspension, AWD, Dolby Prologic Hifi, TV and Sat Nav and the most comfortable seats in the world that sold it to me [Y]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
How different do the seat feel compared to VW ones. I think Sabb and Volvo (and current accord but only driver) are orthopedic.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I think the Golf's seats are really uncomfortable...not good at all

I looked at a V50 T5 SE Sport at the weekend - black, 18s, satnav, premium sound system, winter pack, sunroof, parking sensors, off black leather, 55 plate with 3000 miles all for.....

£18500

Woo-hoo [:D]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How different do the seat feel compared to VW ones. I think Sabb and Volvo (and current accord but only driver) are orthopedic.
The seats are superb - I drove to Scotland in one go last year in an S60 with no discomfort at all. They make most other seats seem pretty uncomfortable in comparison.

The amount of toys on this S60R is amazing;

Electric folding Mirrors

Rain Sensor

Bi Xenons

Electric folding rear headrests (lol)

Pop up TV screen with Sat Nav

Both front seats electric and heated, plus memory

Built in telephone - put your SIM card in a slot and there is a speaker in the headrest, controls on the steering wheel etc

330mm brembo brakes all round

Laminated and rain repellant side glass

Dolby surround sound Hifi

I bought if from a non Volvo dealer - so paid about £7k less than a dealer would charge - and I then found out it had 14 months manufacturers warranty left that the dealer didnt realise it had.....................

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are the pics dude? I fancy one of these myself!
Still loving the car - sedate comfy cruiser one minute, snarling beast the next [Y]

LOL at the Clio 182 that tried it on yesterday - hit the advanced button, and hold on...............

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The one thing i love about volvos is, is that the other people on the road think your a copper as all unmarked volvo cop cars look the same black with that half tinted front glass thing lol.. i have to admit whenever i see a volvo ive gotta slow down just to double check lol..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Where are the pics dude? I fancy one of these myself!
Still loving the car - sedate comfy cruiser one minute, snarling beast the next [Y]

LOL at the Clio 182 that tried it on yesterday - hit the advanced button, and hold on...............
Out of interest, is the Volvo faster than the Porsche?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In a straight line, yes;

S60R - 0-60 5.7 secs, 0-100 approx 13.5-14.0

Boxster - 0.60 6.3 secs, 0-100 approx 15.0

Reamapped the S60R should be sub 5 secs & 12.0-12.5 secs [8-|]

However the S60R does have loads of grip but the Boxster is much better in the bends

But the real eye-opener for me was the diesel like torque low down - it starts to pull hard straight away, then just keeps pulling hard - no top end mania like an M3, just linear grunt all the way.

So sometimes it can feel like less than 300bhp, but its very deceptive and effective on the road

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whats the difference between the s60 t5 and the s60 r ???

are they both the same bhp?? and both awd??
50bhp and 4x4 on the R

Other differences;

330mm Brembos all round with larger calipers

4c electronically adjustable suspension

Bodykit

18" alloys

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the fuel economy like on it? I remember my uncles old 850 T-5 to be greedy at best at around 20-25mpg.
I've had just over 30mpg on a 70mph motorway run of about 50 miles.

The lowest I had when I picked it up was about 22mpg and I had given it some serious abuse that night [:mad:]

I'm averaging about 25-26mpg which I'm happy with

I'm pretty impressed with that - my S40 T5 auto returned 27mpg so 25-26 isn't bad IMO

You'd have to drive like a loon or do loads of town driving to get it below 20mpg on an average tank

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
What is the fuel economy like on it? I remember my uncles old 850 T-5 to be greedy at best at around 20-25mpg.
I've had just over 30mpg on a 70mph motorway run of about 50 miles.

The lowest I had when I picked it up was about 22mpg and I had given it some serious abuse that night [:mad:]

I'm averaging about 25-26mpg which I'm happy with

I'm pretty impressed with that - my S40 T5 auto returned 27mpg so 25-26 isn't bad IMO

You'd have to drive like a loon or do loads of town driving to get it below 20mpg on an average tank
What type of driving do you do mostly?

Those figures are very similar to my 1.8T and therefore mighty impressive considering it is a bigger engine and heavier car! What is servicing and Volvo parts prices like? Also is the extra power you mentioned achievable by just a remap or other bits like an exhaust etc?

I really fancy one of these next time round. Will wait and see nearer decision time!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I probably do 50% dual carriageways at 80mph average, 40% in town etc, 10% having a major blast

I havent had it serviced yet, but my S60 D5 was pretty expensive to service - cant remember the exact cost but I'm sure I paid £400 or so for a service.

I have used 3 Volvo dealers before - and all were superb, a mile away from BMW and VAG dealers attitudes.

A remap gets 350-360 or so - either a company called RICA or BSR (switchable) both cost £500 ish. If you go for a remap, downpipe and exhaust you should be approaching 380-400bhp

450bhp+ is acheivable for £7k or so - the S60R has strengthened internals which can cope with big power - I'm going to go for just a remap later this year but it is a slippery slope..........

One other thing to bear in mind - buy at the right price (ie not a newish car from a Volvo dealer) - the residuals re awful if you do!! Mine was £17k, same car from a dealer would be £23k or more.

http://www.volvotuninguk.com

New 440 bhp S60R / V70R RICA Stage 3 Upgrade!

If you think that your S60R or V70R is a little tame, here is an upgrade that will give you unrivalled performance on the road. With 440 bhp, and the Haldex AWD system, every last bit of power can be put down on the road with this astonishing transformation. Custom turbo, custom exhaust system, custom air intake, and an ECU reprogram are the components used to unleash the true potential of this car and turn it into a real supercar, while still maintaining the everyday driveability characteristics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts