Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Does your sale contract say you bought a VW Golf or a model year 2006 VW Golf?

Did you buy a car from the dealer's stock? If so did he say it was 2006? Personally I wouldn't be too worried about it as it will not made any difference to the value. I don't think there really is anything in the changes that make 2006 actually a better car than 2005.

However if you only bought the car as you were told it was a 2006 I would be looking for a replacement car or perhaps some compensation.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I bought a Brand new stock car, but was told it was the 2006 model!!
Whats thr chassis number??

If its wvwzzz1Kz5.....then its 2005

If its wvwzzz1Kz6....then its 2006
Sure that does not refer to the year the car is built?
No, mine's a wvwzzz1Kz6 - the parts guy wanted to know this, when I bought a touch up paint, and mentioned it meant the model year.

Personally, I wouldn't bother too much about the MY. As has been said, the changes are marginal, and I'd rather not have a radio aerial stuck on the roof, anyway! You'll have a proper lid on your ash tray and you could always swap the chrome handles for brushed ones, if you wanted. Presumably you have got auto lights and wipers?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I agree - as long as the options and major spec items are correct I would be happy. Its really only people who use forums like this that have any idea of the subtle changes that can be seen on an 06 car.  A lot of VW dealership sales staff would be hard pressed to tell you the differrences.  And also thats all they are - diffierences, not really improvements.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes, i have all the auto wipers etc, just makes you a bit annoyed to find what i have been decribed and bought is not what i got, i know that there is only minor changes but the is besides the point.
If you are not happy complain to the dealership and see what you can get out of them. A free first service would be a nice gesture in my book.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Does it mean the manufacturers warranty runs out sooner if its an MY05 car (as this is based on production date rather than sell date)?
No. Warranty is based on first registration date for the car. If a dealer has a car unregistered for say six months it will still have 3 years from when it is first registered.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Does it mean the manufacturers warranty runs out sooner if its an MY05 car (as this is based on production date rather than sell date)?
The warranty starts when the car leaves the first franchised dealer who sold it, this pretty much always coincides with the date of first registration and is rarely a problem for UK supplied cars. If you buy an imported car, things can get interesting. Firstly the car will have only two years warranty to start with and secondly the UK importer may have had the car in stock for a long period of time, perhaps as much as year, with the warranty ticking away because it started on the day it left the supplying franchised dealer, wherever he may be. Your imported car may therfor have only 18 months warranty on it.

Sorry to wander off topic.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
No. Warranty is based on first registration date for the car. If a dealer has a car unregistered for say six months it will still have 3 years from when it is first registered.
Correct, as long as he is the first franchised dealer to sell the car following it being delivered from the factory.

·
Registered
670 Posts
From a legal point of view, s.13 sale of goods act you can reject. But you better do it fast coz if you drive it around then you are acting in accordance as an owner and have thus accepted. If you really want an 06 say so NOW.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It's really not worth that, if you are otherwise happy with the car. Unless you really want it changed, just make enough fuss to get a free service, then forget it and enjoy the car! 2005 or 2006 model, it is a very nice machine to drive!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.