Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bosses car was stolen last night off his driveway. The theiving scrotes broke into his house and stole his car keys, along with his girlfriends purse, then calmly drove it away while they were asleep upstairs.

You hear about R32's, GTi's or other prestige cars being stolen in this way, but not a 55 plate Hyundai Coupe. OK its not that bad looking a car but its a Hyundai, not the kind of car that would be stolen to order.

He said that when the police were taking his details a call came over their radio that a 5 series from down the road from him was nicked the exact same way. They wouldn't have got very far mind you, as he said he only had about 10 miles of petrol in it.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Sorry for your boss, i always make sure i take my keys up to bed with me... for this very reason... to be honest it does not matter whether its an R32 or a Hyundai if the scumbags want any car they will do there best to steal it!

I hope they get caught and your boss is allowed a few minutes alone, its not the fact that the car has gone its the fact that somebody has been into your home whilst you and your family was asleep, who knows what the could of done?

Hope they get caught!

Aiden

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sorry for your boss, i always make sure i take my keys up to bed with me... for this very reason...

its not the fact that the car has gone its the fact that somebody has been into your home whilst you and your family was asleep, who knows what the could of done?
I used to do this as well but since I moved in with my girlfriend I leave them lying on the kitchen table (can't be seen from outside but if you broke in they are easily seen. ) I have heard stories of people been woke up with boiling water ( I think it was on here ) by theives demanding car keys or people having knives held to their throat. To be honest, if they want my car that bad I'm not about to put my girlfriend in danger over a piece of metal, they can have it.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Sorry for your boss, i always make sure i take my keys up to bed with me... for this very reason...

its not the fact that the car has gone its the fact that somebody has been into your home whilst you and your family was asleep, who knows what the could of done?
I used to do this as well but since I moved in with my girlfriend I leave them lying on the kitchen table (can't be seen from outside but if you broke in they are easily seen. ) I have heard stories of people been woke up with boiling water ( I think it was on here ) by theives demanding car keys or people having knives held to their throat. To be honest, if they want my car that bad I'm not about to put my girlfriend in danger over a piece of metal, they can have it.
The best place to leave them is not down stairs , but on the last stair in the house... many thieves wont venture upstairs , but if you get hit by the one that will well he will only get as far as the top step before he gets his prize..

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

I used to do this as well but since I moved in with my girlfriend I leave them lying on the kitchen table (can't be seen from outside but if you broke in they are easily seen. ) I have heard stories of people been woke up with boiling water ( I think it was on here ) by thieves demanding car keys or people having knives held to their throat. To be honest, if they want my car that bad I'm not about to put my girlfriend in danger over a piece of metal, they can have it.
Yeah i know exactly what your saying, but it all depends on circumstances doesn't it, if they where demanding your keys etc with no weapons etc, you wouldn't give your keys to them chances are you would give them a good hiding, i think the thieves would want to get into your house and get out as fast as possible when they are on the rob, i know if someone come into my house whilst me and my girlfriend was asleep with a knife etc or boiling water as you say, i would give the keys over straight away, but if they were UN armed, i think i would be getting "ye old pain" out, my trusty baseball bat and then have a good set too... like you say the i wouldn't be putting my girlfriend in danger neither if they were armed.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

I used to do this as well but since I moved in with my girlfriend I leave them lying on the kitchen table (can't be seen from outside but if you broke in they are easily seen. ) I have heard stories of people been woke up with boiling water ( I think it was on here ) by thieves demanding car keys or people having knives held to their throat. To be honest, if they want my car that bad I'm not about to put my girlfriend in danger over a piece of metal, they can have it.
The best place to leave them is not down stairs , but on the last stair in the house... many thieves wont venture upstairs , but if you get hit by the one that will well he will only get as far as the top step before he gets his prize..
Andy,

Never thought of that to be honest and it does seem a good idea to do... like you say many robbers won't go up stairs as they just want to get in, get out and don't look back...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Andy,

Never thought of that to be honest and it does seem a good idea to do... like you say many robbers won't go up stairs as they just want to get in, get out and don't look back...
Basically it was my mates Idea and his point of view was at what point
will you give them the keys, when they come in the house? no, when the
wreck downstairs looking for them? no... when they get as far as the
bedroom door? yes at that point you dont want them near you as there
are probably more prepared than the usual smack head burglar

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

Andy,

Basically it was my mates Idea and his point of view was at what point will you give them the keys, when they come in the house? no, when the wreck downstairs looking for them? no... when they get as far as the bedroom door? yes at that point you dont want them near you as there are probably more prepared than the usual smack head burglar
Yeah thats very true, suppose if they are professionals and plenty are who go into houses for the keys, thinking about it now... chances are its not going to be kids looking for a joy ride, it will be professionals stealing to order, or to break for parts...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Quite a worrying situation to think about.

Only access point on our place is the backdoor into the kitchen, but we have a reinforced door between the kitchen and rest of the house that opens the wrong way. If you were desperate you could get past it but it would make one hell of a noise. Fairly paranoid about home security.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
like someone has said, doesnt matter what car it is, if its got some kind of value they will have it to probably fund their drug habbit. scum of the earth they are.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What's the legality of having a baseball bat next to the bed if you were in need to use it in a situation like this?
Self defense? [;)] The bedroom seems the obvious place to keep a baseball bat to me.

I have a 4-D cell maglite next to my bed for the same reason.

·
Registered
990 Posts
What's the legality of having a baseball bat next to the bed if you were in need to use it in a situation like this?
Perfectly legal.

We keep our keys upstairs.

If anyone comes into my house, they will be met with my large hunting knife and I will take the first person's head off who is unlucky enough to come up.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Self defence, if anyone comes into my house, putting any of my family in danger then i will use it... you may not agree with it but having run into various scum bags before i am taking no chances, as long as people stay away from my home everything is fine... i don't steal from others to enrich my life and if i did i would expect the people i was robbing to retaliate some how, this is how i would retaliate if someone came into my house... you may not agree... simple fact is me and my family come first mate

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
....... I leave them lying on the kitchen table (can't be seen from outside but if you broke in they are easily seen. )
Thats where he left his keys. They came through the back door that opens into the kitchen walked over to the table nicked the keys and purse and left.

Hes had the SOCO out to his house today and loads of calls from his insurance's. Hes had to hire a car to get about so he got a Focus TDCi for now.

If anyone comes into my house, they will be met with my large hunting knife and I will take the first person's head off who is unlucky enough to come up.
Remind me not to get on your bad side Mr Cathcart [:D]

·
Registered
384 Posts
in the UK i keep a metal baseball bat next to my bed and a large knife sellotaped on the side of the bed, the covers cover it up.

in india crime is quite high, my uncle sleeps with his shotgun, and my dad with his revolver.

once in india we had a theif come in to steal, luckly he got far as my dads room and he got shot in the foot, if he had got to my uncles he wouldnt have a leg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts