Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Bose SoundDock for iPod

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Reflex TDI 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a Bose SoundDock?

I've got my eyes on one, but wanted to get some feedback first? What other similar options are there?

#2 ·
how much is it?

we have the bose WaveRadio at home, one fo my dads worst purchases i would say. (it cost ?3-400, can't remember, but i know i would have got a simple seperates setup for that money instead)

they are extremely expensive for what you get imo

however it does all depend on how much it is and what competion there is (may not be a decent HiFi-ish alternative out there)

#4 ·
A friend was discouraged from buying one by a hifi shop sales guy who sold him the Monster Cable lead instead. I have bought one of these for my hifi separates system and an auxiliary cable for smaller systems with a single "mic" auxiliary socket.

The Moster Cable works fine, but the iPod is a little quiet so when you turn volume up you get hiss. I will probably download the Eupod volume boost patch unless anyone has any negative feedback about this.

#10 ·
Monitor Audio have brought one out. Although i've not personally heard it, it's bound to better than any of the crap that Bose sell http://www.i-deck.com/ James.
The crap that bose sell? Yer right, I've played with the ipod dock but not bought one and it sounds nothing short of amzing.

All the Bose stuff sounds really, really good. It is pricey but then you get what you pay for. I've got a Bose DVD/Surround sound system at home and it is worth every penny.

J.

#12 ·
I toyedwith the idea of getting a Bose dock for my Ipod.

It certainly looks the dogs, and has a damn cool remote control too. Certianly like the concept..

But the sound is totally lacking for ?250.. U can get better
sound quality from the Harmon Kardon (i think its them) sound sticks
and subwoofer (the see thru jelly fish thing), and that costs around
?120.

From a sound quality perspective, I reckon its worth paying no more
than ?80 for, but for COOLNESS, then yeah it's worth alot more!

#13 ·
Monitor Audio have brought one out. Although i've not personally heard it, it's bound to better than any of the crap that Bose sell http://www.i-deck.com/ James.
Thanks for that - have read a review here http://www.lordpercy.com/monitor_audio_i-deck.htm

The last para seems like good advice;

"Overall this is a good compact system for those who want to use an iPod in a purpose made system where a HiFi connection isn't available and where one of the more portable system just won't fill the room. At ?249 the Monitor Audio i-Deck doesn't come cheap and is squarely pitched at the Bose system, for our money we'd go with Bose which is just a little more convincing an perhaps a bit more stylish to look at. Of course you could really save cash and by a 3.5mm to RCA lead and plug into a HiFi leaving you ?242 to spend on something else?"

#14 ·
All the Bose stuff sounds really, really good.? It is pricey but then you get what you pay for. I've got a Bose DVD/Surround sound system at home and it is worth every penny.

If Bose does it for you and you like the sound it makes then thats the main thing. I've heard various Bose systems and they just dont do it for me.

#17 ·
yeah i suppose the wood is a love it or hate it thing

there are plenty of units out there though, from all sorts fo manufacturers at all different price range

did you decide how much you wanted to spend?

also put it this way rather than get both and have to put up with whatever sound the docking thing produces (whichever one you get), you could just get the surround sound and that will produce no doubt better sound and at much higher volume

#18 ·
I toyedwith the idea of getting a Bose dock for my Ipod.

U can get better
sound quality from the Harmon Kardon (i think its them) sound sticks
and subwoofer (the see thru jelly fish thing), and that costs around
?120.
I have the JBL Creature II 2.1 which use Harmon Kardon speakers and
this is what I run my Iriver through, sounds fantastic and you can get
them from Amazon for less than 100 quid!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.