Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
I actually don't think they sound too bad,but I have always thought they are overpriced by a factor of several hundred percent.But they do definately lack midbass,there is a "hole" where the subs leave off,and the tiny mid/tweeters try to make themselves known.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I had a go on some of their tri-port headphones today and i thought they sounded amazing..[*-)]

Does anyone have any views on them ?? before i go and buy a pair.

Jay

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I had a go on some of their tri-port headphones today and i thought they sounded amazing..[*-)]

Does anyone have any views on them ?? before i go and buy a pair.

Jay
Aren't they the ones that cost ?200?

I tried some ?200 bose headphones in the Apple Shop, and they did sound good, but ?200!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
There was a small demo stand in Micro Anvika in selfridges and they were priced at ?120, So i looked in the apple store and they had then at ?99. ( see image below ) although it is a chunk of beer tokens i was really impressed with them

Jay

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've had an Acoustimass 6 setup for ages. I thought it sounded great but when I got my new equipment earlier this year I was amazed at the difference. And the new stuff didn't cost much more than the Bose setup. I certainly don't think they're as bad as they make out on that site but they are definitely lacking in areas and I agree about the marketing.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
There was a small demo stand in Micro Anvika in selfridges and they were priced at ?120, So i looked in the apple store and they had then at ?99. ( see image below ) although it is a chunk of beer tokens i was really impressed with them

Jay
Can I suggest you have a listen of some Sennheiser headphones before you make a decision.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Jay
Can I suggest you have a listen of some Sennheiser headphones before you make a decision.
I'll second that.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I tried Sennheiser's HD595 ( ?110) that they had in the apple store and i was impressed with them but the Bose had much better sound canceling and seemed to fit my ears better. I did also try to find the Sennheiser HD65(?199) fro comparison but none of the stockists in the Trafford centre had them

Jay

·
Registered
582 Posts

Jay
I'll second that.
I third that [:)] I bought a pair of HD280 Pro's a few months back for home listening (I have shure E2c's for mobile listening) and they sound amazing. Do some research though as the more expensive ones aren't necessarily better.........

edited to add this link http://www.head-fi.org/ - will give you some hints on headphone choices

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Got a Bose soundock myself, and some earphones for xmas, wouldnt have there hifi stuff personally as it is well over priced..

BUT what I would add that no anti Bose person will shout about is ease of use, the fact is its easy to use and operates very well out the box.

This is the reason I advised my dad to get one for his home cinema, yep he could have bought any combination of separates and speakers but TBH I didn't fancy getting a phone call every other night when he had buggered up some settings and it sounded awfull, at l;east with his BOSE it sounds good and he can use it easily....

Bose IMO are for people who have money for quality, but DON'T have time to configure play and adjust and fine tune a set-up.... I would be more interested to see how a Bose compared out the box to there systems straight out the box, with no expert configuration done

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Depends on what you mean exactly. The acoustimass system is just a set of speakers. You still have to set them up with an amp. The lifestyle systems are different as they are all in one but no doubt have some settings that need sorting out.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I've got a bose dvd surround sound system and I love it. Simple to set up, simple to use and it sounds lovely. Horses for courses really. You always find some people love something whilst others will love it.

J.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

Jay
I'll second that.
I third that [:)] I bought a pair of HD280 Pro's a few months back for home listening (I have shure E2c's for mobile listening) and they sound amazing. Do some research though as the more expensive ones aren't necessarily better.........

edited to add this link http://www.head-fi.org/ - will give you some hints on headphone choices
This afternoon I bought a set of Bose On - Ear Triport headphones and frankly having listened to my own music at home I'm disappointed. I found the following quote on the above link which sums up the sound quality perfectly ...

" Bose's headphones are way too overpriced. I mean, $150 USD for the Triports? Those headphones look sleek, are light and extremely comfortable. However, when it comes down to what matters, the SQ, they are just not worth their price. The Triports and QCs overemphasize on bass. It's not really the nice deep impact bass you hear from the Senns, but a boomy bass that makes everything sound muddy. So if you like boomy muddy sound and are willing to dish out 3 times as much as what the headphones are worth, then all the power to you. Otherwise, I would rather spend my hard earned money on some Grados or Senns. "

Needless to say I'll be contacting the store to see what they can do for me, I feel a set of Sennheisers coming on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts