Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to make the xenon dipped beam on a Bora stay on with main beam?

I've converted from halogen and so the dipped filament in the H4 bulb would have been switched off when main beam is s elected, but this isn't going to work correctly with the xenon lamps. At the moment I'm using part of the bixenon kit that I had so that the dipped beams stay on, but do I need a headlamp switch or a headlamp relay from a Golf or from a Bora with xenons to get this to work as it should?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a way!

Ray (aRd) has posted the solution in BazMc's thread regarding his conversion from halogen to xenon.

Basically,
we need to run an extra wire from the main beam switch to the head
light switch which is present on the Golf, but not Bora. I need to do
this shortly as I want to remove as much of the chinese kit from my car
as I can so that only the ballasts will remain and I'll change them
when / if they fail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi mate,

Yup thats right. It might work in the US but definately doesnt on the UK spec cars.

Still looking at how to do this ... any clues would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
how did it blow the clocks.

The US and UK are the same wiring and same pin outs on the clocks as well.

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
well if we don't understand how your clocks got blown we're sort of stuck.

do you have pics of your wiring or the clocks on question? It should have worked fine if it works on the US cars.

All very confusing. It's the last piece of my jigsaw and I'd put my faith in aRd who says that the fix should work.

Baz

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Edit : This mod seems to blow up the speedo etc board if done.
that doesn't make sense. I've done the mod on a forum member Bora. The wiring for the Bora xenons is the same as the Golf.

Baz can you check it on the wiring diagram I've send you.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
ok

got the base equipment wiring diagram here.

The E1 lighting switch has T17/7 shown as only on golfs and runs to the 56b point on the interior harness (56b is the low beam connection) and then that is also joined to T12/8 on the E4 headlight dipper switch and that wire is labelled as only on the Bora.

How could that blow the clocks?

Baz

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I?was wondering that too. Couldn't see any connection to the clocks in the wiring diagram I was looking at.
I was trying to figure out were 56b was connected though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
which diagram are you talking about guys ?

When I attemped to do it, my speedos stoped working so I am not sure if the mod is flawed or my DIY is flawed (?)

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
we're talking about the base equipment diagram for all golfs and Boras.

OK, what year is your car, what year is your headlights and post your adapter wiring. Then more importantly, show us what wiring you've done for the fix because it sounds like you've soldered something into the wrong wire or socket.

Baz

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Edit : This mod seems to blow up the speedo etc board if done.
that doesn't make sense. I've done the mod on a forum member Bora. The wiring for the Bora xenons is the same as the Golf.

Baz can you check it on the wiring diagram I've send you.
Yeah, my mate Ray (aRd) did this mod for me and it works fine and nothing has blown up thankfully. Got this method for sorting the lights from Kevin (Whiteboy) who had the original Gora and again AFAIK he had no probs either.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Andy what year are your lights.

Cheers

Baz

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got round to fixing this. Followed Ray's instructions, bought the necessary terminal for the back of the headlight switch from the Stealers and joined it to the yellow and green wire from the main beam / dip switch in the back of the fuse box.
I now have dipped xenons which stay on when the main beam is on as they should.?
Gambalt, I don't know what you did to your car, but it definitely wasn't the same as I did tonight because everything is working as it should.
Ray, thanks for your post, definitely some beer tokens for you next time I see you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
another way is to put a relay in so when main beam is put on it switches dip on, thats how mine is done and works fine with my hid kit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could have done that, but I'm trying to avoid having extra bits in there to fail and keep the wiring as OEM as I can. Anyway, the wire from the Stealer was cheaper than a relay!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts