Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im loving the look of the oem xenon headlights on the bora and im thinking of getting them. What i need to no are the prices of bulbs, the headlight units and anything else thats needed or can it be bought as a 'kit'. Where can i get them, anywhere other than the 'stealers', is it an easy DIY and do the bulbs last long???

Im sorry for the randomness of the questions but i dont know much about the lights, all info is greatly appreciated.

thanks neil.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers bernard ill give that site a look. i didnt know they were rare, cant they just be orderd fron the dealers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
They can be ordered from the dealers, but at a price. I think that the lamps are ?270 each, ballasts ?80 each and the HID bulbs about ?80 each, so by the time you've got a pair of everything and added the VAT you will be around the ?1000 mark.
Already investigated that route!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
hi

why dont you get some fk angel eyes with the projector lamps, and buy a hid kit my mates done that with two of his cars trust me you will never look back total cost = ?300 ish, light output & effect is like true HID, like some1 said earlier very difficult to find oem bora xenons

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm told that the FK lamps don't give a full RHD beam pattern. The lever which changes them over only cuts off the high part of the LHD beam pattern, so won't be much, if any improvement over standard.
Depends if you want to improve the lighting or just go for the look. I'm considering going for a bi-xenon conversion on the standard lamps to try to improve the output.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive heard that the fitment of the fk lights wosnt the best. im not that fussed on the improvement off the light its just the look a weel ill give it a miss just was a wee thought.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
coould look at scrappy's but thats a hell of a long shot i looked at getting them from dealers n they filled me with a load of crap saying they wouldnt fit which i knew was a load of rubbish n then they told me price i just laughed n said no thank u lol

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
ive heard that the fitment of the fk lights wosnt the best. im not that fussed on the improvement off the light its just the look a weel ill give it a miss just was a wee thought.
Xenons aren't really about looks, they're about the output. Angel eyes are for looks. The OEM Xenons cannot be got from a dealer here because I've tried already. They're isn't actually a part number for the UK versions hence - i don't think they make them. You'd have to get the beam pattern flipped over from german or US headlights. That's not easy.
Here's the good bit. It'll cost you close to a grand for the OEM HID setup.

I think if you're going for looks go for something cheap like FK because the fitment actually isn't bad at all on the Bora lights. It just depends what set you go for.
Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Can you let us in on who the dealer was because my local dealer hasn't even got them on the computer system.

Thanks

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
You can get them installed if the car is ordered with the extras requested but they're very rare because of the price they charge for them.

I'll maybe phone Newport VW and see if they can supply a set.

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
If someone here has a V6 or V5 with xenon headlights fitted can they please can VW and give them the number plate and they can get price for a replacement Xenon Headlight. The price for the housing on it's own is ?275 + VAT each and then you need to add ballasts and bulbs.

Baz

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I searched high and low all over the world for the best part of 3 years for some OEM Bora xenons in RHD without any luck.... [:(]

They are available to order from any UK VW dealer as they were a factory option and therefore have to be obtainable for spares for cars with them fitted, any parts guy who tells you any different is clearly pretty clueless tbh!

My enquiries led me to the dealers as i was unable to find new or used lamps on Ebay etc and i can confirm the price 'all-in' for the lamp housings, ballasts, igniter caps, bulbs and various clips etc was.......... ?1416!!!!!!! [:O]

I was able to get a little discount that would have brought it down to around ?1300, but still far too much imo for headlamps no matter how good they may be.....

If you are desperate for OEM xenons mainly for the 'look', they should still be available to buy from www.fischermotorsport.de , bear in mind these are LHD units (even though Uri the owner WILL tell you his are RHD, they are not!! [;)]), you could then flick the tourist lever inside the lamps to cut off the beam 'kick up', this will prevent the LHD beam pattern blinding people on UK roads but will reduce the light output and beam pattern considerably and defeats the object of having xenons imo, but if it's just the look your after it may be worthwhile?

The effect on beam pattern would be: Standard UK RHD pattern: \__ \__

Standard EU LHD pattern: __/ __/

'Tourist lever' pattern: __ __

HTH [:D]

Steve

·
Registered
453 Posts
Guys,

Get me the part numbers of what is needed and i will look in to it for you! I think i can get the complete headlamp for aroung 225+ vat with bulb, but dont quote me on that!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got a quote of ?263 each from the Euro Car Parts website, but assumed that it would just be for the bare lamp with no bulb or igniter. The height aduster has a different part number to the halogen lamps too.
If you can get a complete lamp with the igniter and bulb that I could be interested.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts