Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i'd share this on the forum...

Last night, driving home on a straight road there was a cross junction but it was my right of way the others have to stop as it's a give way at junction (see from photo, bora ended up partly on the pavement!) that person drove and smacked into the side of the door making me do a 180!

I was major shock.... i saw that car coming and by the looks of things she didnt even break,,, and tried to put all the blame on me!! [:mad:]

This is my 1st accident, and i'm not quite sure what to do... i've called my insurance company and they said they will activate claim on monday... i managed to get car towed to a local garage and i've taken lil bits off of it to make it look more standard again.

Do you guys thing that car can be repaired by looking at photos? And is there anything else to do?

Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Hmm looks like panel damage, probably needs a new rear door and maybe a rear quater (these can be welded in) but it the major thing to be worried about is if the rear chassis is bent. If it is then it may need to go a jig, which usually means it could be a write off.

Are you running LPG? I see a secondary filling cap on your rear quater?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Theres something that concerns me there. You say your taking bits off to make it look standard again. Have you not told your insurers about various mods? If not, you may not have any cover whatsoever I'm afraid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well mainly the sound system... apart from that everything on the car is declared!

Yeah the car is on LPG glad didn't smack the boot, got a huge gas tank there!

As for the wheel, that wheel was hanging off when towed away.... otherside wheel is not straight either, cuz otherside went and smacked kerb as it went round. Does this affect the Haldex?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that too, good job the tank didn't go up! Mind you the tanks are supposed to re-inforced and can withstand an impact?

If the passenger side rear wheel is damaged then theres a good chance the drive shafts, diff and rear subframe could be damaged.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Well mainly the sound system... apart from that everything on the car is declared!

Yeah the car is on LPG glad didn't smack the boot, got a huge gas tank there!

As for the wheel, that wheel was hanging off when towed away.... otherside wheel is not straight either, cuz otherside went and smacked kerb as it went round. Does this affect the Haldex?
Well it both rear wheels have suffered that sort of impact, i'd guess the rear diff and haldex would have taken a fair pounding. Those parts alone, if need replacing, will cost a few thousand.

good job u weren't hurt too badly.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
My old car [:(]

Thats a good ?2000 - ?2500 or so I would say but not a write off....
EDIT: Read the part about wheels being bent....thats going to raise the bill. If there is enough damage to control arms / diff/ driveshafts / suspension / haldex under there then yeah, could be a write off...lots of pricey bits! The MKIV is pretty good in that parts are designed to give way rather than bend the body mounts, but if the car is worth ?5-?7k now it could be pushing the 'uneconomical to repair' mark...
Fingers crossed for you!
New wheels, and is it lowered now too?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got the wheels last week off Timsim off the forum!...

Look real nice until last night! Car is not lowered, but i've got a job now so earning to get car done up! but now not too sure what to do with it! just have to wait till monday cuz insurance will activate my claim then. Hope they can fix it, really nice looking car! everyone in leicester loved the V6!

Only thing that annoys me is that i hope my insurance company doens't F***k me over as a young driver! i should lose my no clains bonus... but that other driving says it's my fault cuz she thinks i was doing like ripping it down! But she had to smack me hard to push make it do a 180 turn!

this is well depressing tho!! *SIGH*

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
She pulled out from a give way junction where you had the right of way. She is in the wrong and it's clear cut. Make sure you tell your insurance company that you were not at fault and if she tries to put blame on you, you don't accept the fault.

Did you get her details? If so, call her in surance company and ask if she's accepted blame. Also give these lot a call, 0500 224455 (Helphire), I'm using them at the moment and they're spot on. They are dealing with everything and not involving my insurance company (so not risking my no claims). As it was her fault and you're not to blame, you have the legal right to get the car fixed wherever you like and have a courtesy car whilst it's being done (of a similar class to your own). I've got a 56 Jetta from them at the moment. Don't let her (or yours if need be) insurance company tell you that you have to get it fixed at their recommended repairers - take it wherever you like! Helphire do all the legwork for you, all the phone calls and then get you a car delivered to wherever you like, whenever you like whilst your car's being repaired. Their fee is added to the fee for the damage to your car and claimed back by them in one go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also give these lot a call, 0500 224455 (Helphire), I'm using them at the moment and they're spot on.
Thanks mate, just gave them a quick call but closed today, will be taking a day off tmr just to organise everything else, i've already notified my insuance company shall i just leave them be for that and just deal with Helphire?

Atm i'm sure she's trying to blame it on me.... but need to get the rest of her details, i have the name and number and reg plate. But got another mate who knows where she lives! Looking at the photos and the road you can see pretty much how it happened.

Well give Helphire a call tmr! Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Your insurance company will basically say 'admit nothing'. You get a form to fill out and draw what happened, then the two insurance companies will work it out - they even say have no correspondence with the other driver, just send anything you get to them. Her insurance cmpany wil contact you as well and want to check the car out, but it all should happen pretty fast. You will need to pay your excess but if its proved to be her fault you get it back. How many years NCB do you have? If you have, say, 5 unprotected it goes down to 3 rather than 0. If its protected you won't lose it, and again if its her fault you shouldn't lose any. As long as your mods are declared and you are not with someone like Highway Insurance you will be fine. They are nowhere near as strict as some might lead you to think, though every now and then they might be complete gits!
Hope its fixed, miss that car!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
On what grounds is she blaming you? There was a junction where you had right of way, she pulled out, you hit her - she is at fault, it's clear cut. You need to go to her house and ask for her insurance company and policy number. Ask her to clarify exactly why you are at fault. If you had right of way and she didn't, but still pulled out, it's her fault. there's not cause for discussion - it's that obvious! Do you have any witnesses? If so, get them to write what they saw and sign and date it then fax/send it to her insurance company. Speak to her insurance company and explain that you had right of way at the junction and she just pulled out. (have the road/junction name handy to tell them and say where you were coming from and where she was coming from). Call your insurance company saying you are going to use helphire and won't need them to be involved. Bear in mind that helphire will only take you on if you're completely absolved of blame so her fighting this might make helphire not an option (until liability is admitted). Speak to helphire as they're trained etc. When you finally get things going, make sure you claim for a day's work as you're having a day off tomorrow to sort everything out - that's a recoverable expense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, i kinda get what's all going on now! i will defo call insurance tmr and sort it out! i'll get in contact with the other driver too and get details, but i know for a fact she will argue and what now!

I do have a Witness* and he was there to help me call police. Police where bloody useless!! asked if anyone was hurt then said we ain't coming out! sort it out yourself!! why do we have police????

about to go and see the bora again see if i can take some more photos and speak to a mate about damages.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG.... No wonder you phoned earlier mate... GUTTED FOR YOU!

Was it to find out where I go tthe wheels from or something?
Nah mate, i was wondering if i can get a recipt from you or summit! Mate says if i can get a reciept i should be able to get that money back. Only had them on for like a week!! Absolute piss take!

I hate this waiting game aswel!! it's kinda lame how they can't do anything on a sunday! So tmr will be calling around to see what kinda stuff i need to do!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woo..

thought i'd keep things posted! 3rd Party insurance is taking full laibilty for the crash!

So thats one thing out the way, now headache and back pains another thing.... but aleast car side is kinda sorted!

Just want to say thanks to all that help, well post another message later on to say if it's a Right off or Not!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Good, I'm glad. There was never any question of it really, but it's nice to know for sure. I hope your car's ok. And hey, if not, use help hire and you get a nice
shiny new car to drive - this jetta I have does 0-60 in 8 seconds and it's just great fun having a new car smell and finding out all the little cool things it has! (I even took the manual in last night to have a look at some of the features - I really should get out more!!

Anyway, glad all is well now!

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
sorry to see that mate feel for you[:'(]

REAR DIFF 1900 POUND

HALDEX 800 POUND

HALDEX CONTROLER 500 POUND

PROP SHAFT 900 POUND

TOTAL 4100 POUND PLUS V.A.T[:O]

There are the prices from VW as i asked a few weeks ago

Where the rear diff is bolted to the rear sub-frame could be smashed as it is only light alloy and there is also a damper on the haldex unit that also could be bent

if the car has hit a curb side on then it is a very good chance that most of these parts are scrap including your wheels sad to say[:|]

plus both drive shafts and suspension arms

and as TAB?S said probably a need to go on the bench to see if the floor pan is ok as at the end of the day that is where the subframe mounts to and you dont want is trashing tyres

as my old man would say to people like that "ALL FOR THE WANT OF A CONDOM"

I really hope it all turns out ok and that the damage is not as bad as it looks

FINGERS CROSSED for bud

Andy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Auto Fix is currently dealing on my behalf as the garage i've parked it said to use him... as he gets paid ??? for starage! they are giving me a Micra to drive! Wooo

I will be getting a mate from VW to assess the car aswel as Auto fix (mayb this week), quite worried about that haldex system, i know that the wheel smacked the kerb hard cuz it has smashed the dish on the alloy... wheel is currently bend but still moves, compared to otherside where its not even connected to shaft. The guy at auto fix did say that what ever the value of the car now they will slap the 2k on top for the gas conversion!

If i have time today and there is a mechanic around to help me, will try and jack car up and take a pic of underneath the car.

The worse happened yesterday.... that lady decided that since her insurance company think it's her fault she's passed her case to WaySide (similar to auto fix, helphire... etc) They called me up after i posted yesterday reply, thinking it's all going to plan but now she's pulled out 2 witnesses!?! 2 witnesses that weren't there! WaySide did say that it still her fault but if witnesses can prove I were speeding... (i dont know did see anyone holding a speed laser!) it would be my insurance company that pays out!

Back to having a headache! *sigh*

BEN: i did call HelpHire and they were well useful! they also did say they would give me a jetta! lol but currently not too fused about the car i get, just want to know that who ever is dealing with my case is doing it properly and quickly! my 1st time dealing with this kind of stuff, so felt safer actually speaking to someone face to face. HelpHire did tell me that regardless the speed, she's in the wrong since it is a Giveway junction and she should have stopped!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts