Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting a Bora V5. How many BHP is it? Am I right in thinking that models made in 2000 onwards are 170bhp? I hear they did a 10v version and a 20v version of the V5. is this right? I am looking for the 20v version, what should I look for?

Cheers,

Rye

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Not quite sure when they moved over to 170bhp, but, to find out, the 150bhp version will have the red leads visible under the bonnet, the 170bhp won't.

Theres not THAT much in it to be honest, but obviously a little more punch. I have the 150bhp V5, and I find it fast enough, but it's not the quickest car around in the slightest and certainly less punchy than the 1.8T. But on the other hand, it has a sweet engine note which I never tire of.

If you want to know anything, just ask.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Im thinking of swapping my chipped 115 for a V5, would it be worth it?

Whats the real fuel consumption of a V5 round town?

I do mostly short journeys and the diesel is rough and not really much fun to drive, the V5 im hoping would be better being petrol.

Thanks
Mart

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Around town, for a 150bhp I would expect 26-30mpg. May be less if its continually stop start all the time, I don't do much town driving if I'm honest. My second trip computer shows me an average of 33.6mpg.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not quite sure when they moved over to 170bhp, but, to find out, the 150bhp version will have the red leads visible under the bonnet, the 170bhp won't.

Theres not THAT much in it to be honest, but obviously a little more punch. I have the 150bhp V5, and I find it fast enough, but it's not the quickest car around in the slightest and certainly less punchy than the 1.8T. But on the other hand, it has a sweet engine note which I never tire of.

If you want to know anything, just ask.
I think the 170bhp version would be quicker or more similar to the 1.8T bora as the V5 has a faster quoted 0-60 than the 1.8T (8.2secs v. 8.6 secs.). I think i'm going to notice a BIG difference going from a 1.6 to a Bora V5! I hope so anyway! What year is your car then Graham? Also are there any other visible differences between the 10v and 20v? What is the engine note like with a stock exhaust? I hope it sounds very "V"-like! Any common faults on the V5 to look out for?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The V5 sound burbly, but a higher pitched burble than a V6 for instance. With a stock exhaust it sounds ok and you can definately tell its not a normal engine or a diesel. You can make the sound more prominent with a green panel filter pretty cheaply though.

My car is a 1999/2000 V reg, I went backwards in age, but got one which had been looked after and had a stupidly low amount of miles on it for the year.

There were some sound clips of a V5 golf, but where they are now who knows. As for other differences, I don't think there are many to be honest. I think the 170bhp version is quoted on paper to be about 2mpg better on the fuel consumption.

Shame your not down south as I'd have taken you out in mine. Blue V5 took me in his and thats what made me buy mine.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I just wrote a big reply then hit back by accident. Damn.

Anyway, if you are down here soon then feel free to give me a shout and you can take mine out.

The 170bhp was available from X reg onwards and has coil packs and 10
more valves. Hence coil pack failures are possible. The fans are
abother thing as you've probably seen on Andymacs thread. Everything
else is VW wide.

I love mine and its fast enough for me - although a remap wouldn't go
amiss! Gains of between 15 and 20bhp are possible from each engine.

They handle better than the Golf alternative due to better weight
distribution and a fully laser welded shell. Economy is pretty good but
mine has gone down about 1-2mpg to 27-30mpg since i fitted my TT comps
(bigger tyres).

I do mainly b road driving so that affects me more.

The stock exhaust makes it burble more at low revs i found but the
Blueflame exhaust brings out the full glory and really roars. Mid range
torque is excellent, floor it from 3500-4000 and it does give you a
nice shove and keeps pulling right to the rev limiter.

The 170 enjoys the higher revs more so i hear and there is a difference in the sound they make.

MattyV5 prefers my exhaust note and i prefer his [:D]

Prices are good at the mo, bring another Bora V5 to the forum!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for the info guys and the offer of a ride from Blue V5 and W36 EJO [Y]... Very kind!

At the moment it sounds amazing... Perfect price, spec everything... It's just a shame they weren't all 170bhp. How much difference is there? I just go by Parkers.co.uk 0-60 times! Says 8.2 for the 170 and 8.8 for the 150. 8.8 doesn't sound that fast to me but it is quicker than a fabia VRS. hmmm only way to tell is to drive/ride in one I guess... Going from a 1.6 (10.6secs) to a V5 (8.8 secs), how much quicker is this likely to feel? LOADS?? I know 0-60 isn't everything.. how is the 60-100 acceleration in the V5? I'm sure that will be LOADS quicker than my 1.6. I'm trying to work out if I need something quicker.. hehe.. The 170bhp would be perfect but they are more pricey and more rare. Also the economy doesn't seem that much different.. I'm sure I get 30mpg in my 1.6 with 18" wheels.

Finally, how accurate is parkers.co.uk? Reckon the 150bhp could be more like 8.5 secs?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Don't know how accurate parkers is, but in reality, count 0.6 seconds, thats the actual speed difference!

The 1.8T feels faster, no doubt about it, but thats because it takes a second anyway and then the turbo kicks in and bolts you forward. Theres also turbo lag between gears, theres non of that in a V5.

60-100 I found to be faster in the V5 than the 1.8T.

For my comments on the 1.8T vs the V5, please see here http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/328482/ShowPost.aspx

The 0-60 didnt mean that much to me, obviously if it was 13 secs or something I would have looked elsewhere. But once you hear that V5 growl, the 0-60 goe's out of the window, plus in built up areas, you can just hear your V5 whirring nicely, especially with an aftermarket exhaust which both blue v5 and myself have.

You WILL find the ride smoother and more 'complete' in the bora, more kind of solid, dont know how to explain it really, better weight distribution though, on the flip side of that, it doesnt lend itself to whipping it round corners as much as the golf does.

I'd definately reccomend it, but I would also reccomend a test drive in the 1.8T and the V5 bora.

It's also worth looking at the spec I got in that thread for 5900.

Would also reccomend the bora over the golf. You get more car for the money, you'll probably be equipped with climate, rain sensing wipers, heated seats, heasted washers, headlight washers, auto dimming mirror, not to mention the groovy bora vents, which at night make a LOT of difference to the interior. All that for less money than the equivalent golf!

All I would say, is if you get a blue one, don't take a pic from the back at the angle me and Rich have [:D]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
LOL @ Graham [:D]

I'd say 0-60 times are slightly quicker than quoted but FWD are never
that impressive in that test. Rolling accerelation, say 30-50 etc is
where FWD work well. It something to do with pulling over pushing. I'd
much rather have a 4motion though!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I've been trying to talk him into it for ages. [:)] X/W reg V5s start at ?3,200, he can't go wrong IMO.

However, I have to say when I had a 1.6, I test drove a 150 V5 and
thought - is that it? At idle it sounded pretty normal, but when you
got it going it sounded lovely. Its dead below 3000RPM, then starts to
shift and is great on the motorway, but its never 'fast' - it merely
makes good progress and sounds nice.

After this initial disapointment (I had been dead set on a V5 for
weeks) I tried the V6 4Mo parked next to it that was double the price
and I could not afford - just for fun, you understand. Except it was so
bloody brilliant, I had to have it and did - that was my old black one.
The V6 sounds evil at idle and makes one of the best noises of any car
when you give it some stick - better than my BMW. It was also genuinely
quick, and was a beast where the V5 was a cruiser.

HOWEVER this may be because I expected too much from the V5; for ?3-?6k
its a brilliant car. Obviously if you can find a 170 within budget, buy
it, but a 150 V5 with a few neat mods will be an excellent buy. And it
can;t be more disastrous than your Golf has been! You deserve better

[:)]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I bought my 150 bhp V5 this year and i have been well stoked with it, im not sure how much difference 170bhp would make? probably quite a bit cause its got double the valves.. mine seems thirsty but at the same time i have a very heavy right foot and sheffield is full of hills too..(and they all seem to go up) The spec is really good got climate, etc, i would love leather.... the engine note is unique and i love the low down growl.. to the uneven top end noise.. I would definately say buy one..!! [Y]

Unless you could stretch to a V6 4mo the 6 just sounds awesome..[:p]

EJO - what exhaust do you have on yours? Im thinking of getting one after christmas.. and have you got a green filter? and if so is it worth doing?? cheers

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have an ABT exhaust:

Posted Image

Blue V5 has a Blueflame exhaust, which looks more OEM than mine. We havent had a sound off though....yet! [:D]

The exhaust makes a lot of difference to the actual sound of the car and is deffo worth it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Bora V5, 1999. After initially thinking it was good I have become disillusioned with it after 2 weeks. The quality of build in the car is exceptional because if you got it in you would think it was a year old not 6. However I just don't get the engine, it's 2.3 V5 yet only puts out 150BHP, I thought that would mean economical running. It does between 25-30mpg round town. It isn't burbly or loud, it feels that it has torque but never really pushes on. It's ok & for ?3,500 it's a nice car but the engine is a real odd ball.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Bora V5, 1999. After initially thinking it was good I have become disillusioned with it after 2 weeks. The quality of build in the car is exceptional because if you got it in you would think it was a year old not 6. However I just don't get the engine, it's 2.3 V5 yet only puts out 150BHP, I thought that would mean economical running. It does between 25-30mpg round town. It isn't burbly or loud, it feels that it has torque but never really pushes on. It's ok & for ?3,500 it's a nice car but the engine is a real odd ball.
If you're getting between 25-30 in town I'd be happy. Ours never did better than 24 in town. It may not be a ball of fire but it is an extremely flexible engine that makes a nice cruiser.

We owned ours for 3.5 years and I never tired of the sound. I still miss it especially now I have a tyre shredding PD130 (no joke, the front Contis are down to 4mm after 8k!)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sorry, dont understand this, you think a 2.3 V5 would make economical running?

You say it didnt sound loud? Was it standard? No car is loud as standard as the mass market dont want a loud car. You may have had something wrong with yours as mine is plenty fast enough as standard. It depends what you want from a car ultimately, but I love the V5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was basing my arguement on the the previous two cars that had similar sized engines. I had a 325 BMW that had over 200BHP yet averaged 30 around town, and my last car was a 2litre Honda S2000 which did over 30 round town that had 247BHP.

I just think the engine falls between good performance & good economy.

In fact after filling it twice now it probably does closer to 23-25 on my daily commute.

Regardin the sound, I read that it had a V6 style burble I again can't really hear that noise even with the windows down going under a bridge.

It is due for a service, so I might be judging it unfairly at the moment.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts