Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right here goes.

Basically my standard tdi bora lights are pants, they have a yellow look and my mini mag light gives off more light!!!!!

so im looking to upgrade my bulbs in my standard headlights., i dont want to go to the expence of HID conversion becoz in my eyes i would need to upgrade to projector headlights too so ill be looking at ?250+

So was wondering what the best replacment bulbs are one the market, i want the lights to look brighter and light up the road more.!!! also wouldnt mind getting rid of the crappy yellow looking bulbs,
having read a few forums it seems the osram silverstar bulbs seem to be recommended alot. i would like your opinions, im happy to spend around ?50 on a upgrade. go for it..................

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have philips power-2-nite bulbs and think they are excellent for the money I would get some of those new 80% brighter philips ones (x-treme I think they are called) they will prob be even better and only around ?20 from powerbulbs.co.uk

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Again, I can personally recommend Osram Silverstars. If you order through powerbulbs you get a free pair of Philips Bluevision sidelight bulbs, which don't shine blue, but are much whiter than the standard jobbies. For less than your ?50, you'd do the job easy.

The new Philips Extreme bulbs are supposed to be 80% better than standard bulbs, so they are worth a look too. A few people on here were planning on getting them, so it might be worth waiting for a report!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Just found this link clicky which, while stating that powerbulbs are out of stock of the Philips Xtreme bulbs, also suggests that they are only available in H7 & H4 formats. Is this correct, anybody. I guess they will be out in all sizes eventually. One thing worries me about these bulbs. The technology that gets all the light out of them is said to be "by taking the allowed tolerances right to the edge". Is this going to make them fragile? No good having high performance lights, if they are going to fail every ten minutes.

·
Registered
936 Posts
AutoExpress recently review H4 plus 50% bulbs (clicky to article), suprisingly Halfords Super Brilliance bulbs won the test with Philips Power2Night 150 bulbs coming second. Have a look for yourself, makes some interesting reading but we all know AutoExpress sometimes get things totally wrong...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Also recommend Osram SilverStar. Great bulbs for the price. Used to have PIAA lights which looked good but didn't last long.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently changed to the Halfords Super Brilliance all round my Golf (Dipped and Mains) as the bulbs that were in there were god-awful.  They are fairly decent, but cannot compare them to any other bulb/brand as have never had to change bulbs before now - plus they were on buy 1 get 1 free at my local Halfords when I got them - about a month ago now so might still be on??

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can also recommend the Osram Silver Star, sooooo much better than standard, also get the Osram Diadem side lights to be rid of the fried eggy look, they sort of twinkle blue(ish) close up but from a distance certainly clean up the look...

Lets see if these links work??

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cant see the links mate,

just got this email through from powerbulbs, if you use the following code you will get 10% off, as we are members

AYSCX1729

so are people saying the osram silverstar are the best so far, or shall i give the philips a blast?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah, give the OSRAM's a go, you won't be dissapointed.

Are they cheaper than ?12.99 with the 10% discount?

The lady on Ebay who I got them off posted same day, and they were well packaged.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill have a look. does anyone know which bulbs i will need in my X reg bora? (h4 H7) too cold n dark to have a look :)

also is low beam your normal headlights and high beam your full beam? not sure if i got the stupid bulbs where they combine both.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
236 Posts
Both the main and dipped are H4 (for the Bora!) and the Diadems only come in 1 flavour.

If you go to the Powerbulb site, enter your cars details on the right of the screen and it sorts out the main/dip for you... it used to do the indicators a well but the options dont come up now !??

Dipped is the usual driving lights and main is what dazzles oncoming traffic!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so really its the low beam that i only need to order my car is a x reg 2000, and on powerbulbs it is showing both low beam and high beam as a option. also cant seam to find the side lights on the site either?

·
Registered
236 Posts
No, the high beam and low beam are 2 seperate bulbs, both in the same headlight, both H4. So for a complete set you'll need 4 x H4 and 1 set of Diadems, just search the site for Diadems and they'll pop up. Also they used to give away a set of the blue sidelight halogen bulbs (in my pic) but not sure now. They're just push in IIRC

HTH

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
just looked on a couple of websites and found that the bora and golf have h7 low beam and h1 high beam, and not both h4 like u just said, so whos right as i want to get some new bulbs for my golf?

cheers rob

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hmmmm

Haynes says Golf is H1 and H7, Bora dip and main are both H4, damn forget now....... is H4 the dip+main in 1 bulb??

whatever, its H4 for the Bora, if both in same bulb, then you need 2 off, if different main n dip then you need 4 off

1 - 20 of 42 Posts