Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for a Bora TDI sport (but not a 150 due to the insurance).

A 130 ideally, but if a nicely spec'ed 115 came up I'd not turn my nose up

I've tested a few TDI's over the last few weeks to get an idea of what I'm after, and the 130 sport seems to fit the bill.

It will be a shared car with my girlfriend, so modifications will be kept to a minimum

We're looking for a late 2001 onwards, dark colour, resonable mileage, and as many toys as I can find

Now correct me if I'm wrong (or add to the list), but the current options that I've noted on this model are:-

Climate Control (as opposed to A/C)
Parking sensor (we'll probably get this retro-fitted)
CD Auto changer
Cruise control
Heated Mirrors
Heated Seats
Leather
Alloys
Multi-function Steering Wheel

If anyone knows of a suitable car for sale within easy reach of Didcot, Oxon,

Please let me know,

Cheers,

Ryan

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum.

I assume your ? after the mfsw was to ask what it is. The mfsw has controls for the radio etc on it so that you don't need to let go of the steering wheel. Personally I am not a fan of them but they are quite gadgety.

Check out www.cargiant.co.uk for a s election of TDI bora's in various spec levels. Well priced to. Friends of mine have brought several cars from here and have always be satisfied with them. It may be a bit of a drive from Didcot but maywell be worth it due to the numbers of different model bora's they have under one roof..

Reversing sensors are a must on a bora (imoho). You cannot see the back of the boot at all from the drivers seat unless you mash your head on the roof lining!! I fitted a Tarus T123 kit to mine and am very pleased with it (http://www.borabase.com/reverse.htm is a fitting guide penned by another forum member).

Cruise control is a bonus but to retro fit the VW kit on any fly-by-wire throttle (From 2001 on I think all the diesels are fbw - someone correct me if I'm wrong) model is a relatively cheap and strightforward diy task. There is plenty of advice in the tuning forum.

Bora's were always better spec'd by VW than the same model golf. I would get a 6-speed model (again I think all the diesels are). Genuine floor mats are good quality but the rear ones need two button fixings - the early ones had a single button fixing and when ever anyone puts their feet on them they come loose. The three spoke Sport steering wheel is the nicest one VW do and should be fitted to each model from the SE up - btw the mfsw is not based on this design.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume your ? after the mfsw was to ask what it is.
Sort of - that's what I thought it was, as the Golf TDI at work has one (I didn't find it particularly easy to use, but I guess I'm not used to it).

The question was really are they optional? Were they all the same, or had different controls etc?

Check out www.cargiant.co.uk for a s election of TDI bora's in various spec levels. Well priced to. Friends of mine have brought several cars from here and have always be satisfied with them. It may be a bit of a drive from Didcot but maywell be worth it due to the numbers of different model bora's they have under one roof..
Cheers for that, we're planning to go tomorrow for a quick look. Would be silly not to. As you say, they've got quite a few with a range of prices...

Reversing sensors are a must on a bora (imoho). You cannot see the back of the boot at all from the drivers seat unless you mash your head on the roof lining!! I fitted a Tarus T123 kit to mine and am very pleased with it (http://www.borabase.com/reverse.htm is a fitting guide penned by another forum member).
Had a quick look at that yesterday, very useful...

Bora's were always better spec'd by VW than the same model golf. I would get a 6-speed model (again I think all the diesels are).
Agreed - the value for money is the main reason we started looking at them...and yep, all the diesels I've seen have been 6spd. Cheers for the response.

Ryan

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ive only recently got the 115se and basically all that equipment is on mine except sports seats? not sure what else the sport has over the se? Oh and all the pd engines from 2001 115&130(both red D&I) and 150 all have 6 speed gear boxes, i think the 100 pd has 5 gear box. 6 speed is great and perfect for cruising.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the sport has front fogs and lowered (sport) suspension as standard

I've been constantly scanning ads and comparing stuff over the past week, but only yesterday realised that an ST was a different spec to a sport - I had thought it was an abreviation!

·
Registered
918 Posts
The mfsw is an option - I don't think it was standard on any model, I don't know if you could omit or add functions. The 3 spoke Sport steering wheel is so much nicer to use though.

My SE has the following spec:

16 inch steel wheels and palstic trim covers.

Front fog lights

Heated mirrors.

A/C.

Auto dipping rear mirror.

Rain sensing wipers.

Single indash CD and Radio cassette - I would like to change this to an in dash 6 disc unit.

Sport steering wheel.

Carbon fibre style trim inserts - the wood effect is soooooo pants.

That is it iirc. It is an SE model though. I brought a sales brouchure off ebay for my car and it had a list of all the options and spec levels in the back of it. It was from '99 but i'll post up the details for you this eve (if I remember to).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
459 Posts
The sports don't come with lowered suspension as standard.  It was a cheap option for the Bora.  My PD150 Sport has standard crappy suspension

·
Registered
918 Posts
The rain sensing wipers are the first setting on the stalk. Instead of having an intermitent wipe setting you have a sensor - above the rear view mirror - that detects when there is water on the screenand wipes the wipers. The sensitivity can be adjusted but you need to remember to turn off the wipers each time you turn the engine off because they won't automatically come on when you restart the car. They work ok, you need to keep the screen clean for the sensor to work efficiently but there are times when I feel they should be wiping and their not and vice-versa.

Heated mirrors are very usefull, clearing the ice off them at this time of year vey quickly. They are wired into the heated rear screen circuit but be warned the heating element is a touch over rated power wise for what is needed to clear the mirrors and can burn out if you leave the heated screen on too long - an ex of mine used to keep her heated screen on all the time but she was one crazy mo fo anyway.

Options wise the 'winter pack' is nice. Basically you get, iirc, front fogs (on the Golf, the Bora has them anyway), heated mirrors, heated windscreen washers, heated seats and headlamp washers ( i might be wrong about the last item).

Yes that is the Sport steering wheel. As daft as it sounds it is a hundred times nicer to use than the four spoke jobby. I believe the mfsw is based on the four spoke one. I would have the three spoke one everytime.

Technology wise the ESP traction control system is a matter of personal choice. I don't have it - but then again the 2.0l 8v engine in my motor doesn't produce enough power for it to be needed :-(. There are some members here that like it, some don't. If you have it you can never fully disable it just push the limits as to when it cuts in. Both the ESP and the ABS systems cut in very early compared to other car makes. There is a junction I approach regularily that has a manhole cover in the braking area running up to the junction. It is not that big an obstical and my mk1's never had any probs stopping there, but it sets off my ABS everytime I go over it regardless of speed.

Don't get me wrong my Bora is the best car I've ever owned but in a lot of ways my mk1's wipe the floor it.

I know you said mods were to be kept to a min but I would highly recommend - having come from a mk1 to a Bora myself - adding a set of S3 upper and lower front strut braces, changing the rear arb, and changing the springs and dampers. It transforms the car into something it should have been from the factory imoho.

Long posts today or what? My boss is going to be impressed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sports don't come with lowered suspension as standard.
Hmm, everyone I've seen has sport suspension (apparently).

I was under the impression that it was one of the (few) things that made a sport a sport?!?!?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Borabase has a list of the specs for the different models.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Borabase has a list of the specs for the different models.
Yep, that's one resource I was basing my info on...

Interestingly, I've just looked in a 2004 brochure and the sport doesn't have the suspension listed as standard...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've got a 2004 54 plate TDI 130 Sport and it definitely does not have
sports suspension. I think that early ones may have had it, but later
ones don't. Don't know when they changed though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh and if you find one with OEM xenon headlamps, buy it. They are very
rare, but the standard lamps are so poor so it is a worthwhile option.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Agree with others here in that the sports model does not necissarily
have sports suspension, it was an extra to be added when buying the car
in the first place! And I think it was only a set of lowering springs
anyway!

I agree also with mk1fan concerning the rain sensor, it works when you
dont expect it and not when you do (eh?) also the auto darkening rear
view mirror needs the ign turned off to reset it, bit of a pain when
reversing in the dark after a bit of a drive, that parking sensor I
think is a must (add to list) The headlight bulbs also need changing
asap and I suggest Osram silverstar's unless you end up with the HID's
and also some Diadem's to get rid of the indicator fried egg
effect!(btw, you don't need to remove bumper to do the bulbs unlike the
Golf)

Dont forget to check to see if the cam belt's been changed if a car
you'r interested in has done around the 60K figure, if not get them to
do it and the tensioner as part of the deal..

Apart from these minor niggles I think the Bora is a fine car and certainly better than my PX'd VR6!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also the auto darkening rear view mirror needs the ign turned off to reset it, bit of a pain when reversing in the dark after a bit of a drive
Hmm, that's clever - shame that a manual reset wasn't available.

that parking sensor I think is a must (add to list)
Yes, this will be needed for reversing off the drive - parking spaces are at a premium and it's a bit tight most of the time

The headlight bulbs also need changing asap and I suggest Osram silverstar's unless you end up with the HID's
Cheers for the info - can HID's be retro fitted - or are they too rare =??????

and also some Diadem's to get rid of the indicator fried egg effect!
Are these the indicator bulbs which flash orange but otherwise look silver/clear?

Dont forget to check to see if the cam belt's been changed if a car you'r interested in has done around the 60K figure, if not get them to do it and the tensioner as part of the deal.
Yep - this hasn't escaped my notice...but - I must remember to check whether the tensioner has been documented too...[:)]

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm sure my auto dimming mirror resets itself once the glare has gone. I reverse into my drive and have never noticed it still in 'dimmed' position. I'll check though. If you're right then cheers 'cause it'll start to bug me now. Ignorance is bliss.

On the cam belt front - if you are looking for a 52/03 plate - and the original belts etc.. haven't been changed they will have reached the end of their life anyway regardless of milage. They may not have been changed if the milage is only 40/50k. VAG say inspect them at 60k or four years which ever is soonest and change if necessary. I do less than 8k a year but i change my belts every three (although I should have done them last Nov but haven't got round to it yet. March job me thinks). One item you should change at the same time as the belts etc... is the water pump (one with a metal impelar) as these are a known weak point and you have to take off all the belts to change it so it makes good sense tochange it. I doubt the dealer will do this as an extra on top of doing belts as part of the deal but if you supply the part most dealers will fit it at the same time and at worst charge a small labour fee.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am 99% sure that if I go into reverse at any time, the mirror lightens, never remember it being dark and causing any sort of problem. Is there a definate way I could re-produce this situation to test it.

I have a 150PD Sport that has the OEM Xenons, they are without a doubt fantastic as opposed to halogen lights (now they are working correctly LOL)

Edit, Must take typing lessons to be faster.

Recently had my cam belt changed, the belt in a kit form was around ?117 from my local dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
VAG say inspect them at 60k or four years which ever is soonest and change if necessary.

One item you should change at the same time as the belts etc... is the water pump (one with a metal impelar) as these are a known weak point and you have to take off all the belts to change it so it makes good sense to change it.
Cheers - this is all good info to know...

We may be getting one from a VW dealer, and if so I WILL be getting some sweetners on the deal...so the more info I have regarding the car spec and service items to check the better,

Thanks Guys[H]

1 - 20 of 58 Posts