Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry guys i know its been covered a million times before but im trying to work out how economical these tdis really are...

so check it out, filled up cost 43quid =46 litres when prices where 92.9p a litre ..today fuel light comes on and iv only clocked 430 miles out of that probably 150 were motorway miles, i believe that once the light comes on it still has about 7 litres in right, so can i get away with doing 40 more miles while the lights on??? or not...

am i expecting too much i was thinking around town i should get minimum 500 miles to the tank and if its all motorway miles 600, of course driving sensibly and not thrashing it..is it fair to say i will get poor mileage around town cos its a turbo diesel and the turbo kicks in and out a lot...what can i do servicing wise to try and get better mpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi.

I have just purchased a Bora Sport 150PD, and on my first fill up it would appear I am getting about 38MPG. This was around town miles mainly. I did think that I would of got more though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi, i have a 115 tdi, i get around 430-480 miles around town going to work etc. But if i travel all motorway can hit 550-600 miles, thats a steady 80 mph (ish).

When i first got it i was really dissapointed with the figure, but you need to learn how to drive the engine. I came from a Mk2 16v Gti, so i was a little throttle heavy :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would have thought you should get better MPG on the the TDIs - unless your right foot is on the floor all the time.

Get vag-com on and go and measure the MAF in 4th gear, WOT run to redline - take a note of the peak value - then you can tell if you have knackered MAF - most are knackered after 2-3 years. Check your service history!

HTH

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
See now the problem you've got is that dirty great big boot stuck on the back. Must lower you mpg by at least 5 mpg [:p]

·
Registered
199 Posts
I drive a remapped 115 6 spd, before the remap I was getting 45mpg round town and after the remap, about 38.

You really do have to learn how to drive the car so as to get best economy, it can mean being very light with the right foot.

On another note, after having the remap, my MPG at motorway speeds has shot out the roof, i can easily get 550 miles from a full tank if im just cruising at 80.

Mart

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was getting around 430 as well, i was so disappointed with my PD115 bora that i sold it as i am getting that consumption out of my wifes 1.8T.

The car was checked by numerous people and proved to be running ok.

In all fairness i live in Cambridge and only travel 10 - 15 miles a day to and from work.

But the 1.8T is a far better car for my needs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, so the verdict is that we should be getting better mileage all round, what about when the fuel light comes on what have you managed to squeeze out of it, iv heard that its best not to go more than 10-15 miles odawise all the crap from the fuel tank comes in to the engine. but iv also heard thats why theres fuel filters on the cars to prevent the crap from coming in does any 1 know how to bleed the fuel filter...drove me old mans passat back from manchester airport other day light came on as soon as i started it just ignored it got home it had clocked 48 miles IMPRESSED will the boras do same you reckon dads is a 5 speed 100bhp 02 plate

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a Bora 110 tdi and take frequent trips up and down the motorway, I can often get 55-60mpg when i'm not late that is[;)]

·
Registered
524 Posts
My fuel light came on yesterday at 500 miles. I've averaged 49.5 MPG since owning the car for 9,000 miles and that's taking full advantage of the power on tap. [:D]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Think my economy's crap then!!! Had an uPsolute re-map and the economy rose to about 50-55 on a motorway run on 16" BBS's Changed to 18" RS4's and the economy has dropped by 5 mpg in all conditions. Around town I average low 40's and even high 30's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well on my '99 Golf 110 with Superchip, my MFA #2 average over loads of miles is something like 53.2 mpg which I was well impressed with! Especially since I regularly partake in the old 'traffic light grand prix'!!!!!

On a granny run on the motorway sitting behind a lorry, I once averaged 73.1 mpg!!!!! Sad I know, but it's like an obsession sometimes!

I'll get me coat [:$]

·
Registered
524 Posts
On a granny run on the motorway sitting behind a lorry, I once averaged 73.1 mpg!!!!! Sad I know, but it's like an obsession sometimes!

I'll get me coat [:$]
LOL ! I know what you mean though - I got 76 MPG the other day on the motorway doing 40 (road works!!!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive managed to average 68mpg on a tank once (according to the trip
computer), and got soemthing like 650-670 miles before the light came
on. It was very boring though, i normally get about 550 - 600
miles (mainly motorway).

It sounds like a lot of the poorer mpgs being reported are around town
and short journeys, I find before the engine has warmed up properly the
mpgs are significantly worse, I guess due to extra friction etc.
To really test the efficiency a fifty mile motorway run at steady speed
is required, otherwise there are too many variables.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think im getting worse results than you mate. I find it costs me 10p a mile in my TDI PD100. If i have a full tank (?40) i can only get 400 miles out of it, and thats by FEATHERING the throttle, not even pressing half way!! I think theres a probleem but i told the dealer and they said nothin is wrong! And by the way  do 90% motorway driving so was expecting better efficiency!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts