Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People,

Im new to the forum, but like the rest of you a vee dub nut at heart... After getting raped by the tax man for the last 12 years having a company car.... Ive gone back to running my own......

I have a 51 plated tdi bora 130... that i have already covered 15000 miles in for work in the last 4 months.....

Because I cant leave things alone... its already had 2 x different sets of wheels, first with PCD adapters running 5x112 gti cloverleafs and now back to 5 x 100 after stripping the threads on the adapters from pushing it a little hard....

its been serviced by vw throuought its life before i got my hands on it... with a cam belt and pump at 112k. its now having minor services by me... and I serviced it with all filters and oil at 121K... now at 133k and just had oil and filter.

has a couple of niggling faults that i want to get sorted before i get carried away with remap, coilovers, larger wheels.....

1. sudden loss of power that has occured a couple of times - which instantly clears if i turn off the ignition and back on - Is it MAF or Turbo? Any ideas? - Will VAG Com tell me exactly whats wrong - doesnt show any engine management light when fault occurs - and turbo doesnt seem to have any audiable different sound from any other tdi ive owned.

2. even though its got new wheels and tyres and theyve been balanced, get a vibration through steering wheel at about 60 mph, which then clears and comes back at around 90 to 100 mph (not that I break the speed limits on uk roads officer)... It only does it under power not while the car is off throttle - Any ideas?

As this was purchased prodominantly for a work horse and im hoping to get at least 300k out of her.....should i be looking at remaps/coilovers/etc - cover around 40K a year and need it reliable.... will a remap to 180-190 generic remap just cause more trouble or is it worth doing?

Any comments are welcomed

Thanks for reading

Regards

Simon

·
Registered
318 Posts
hi mate and welcome.the loss of power you mention is the car going into limp mode,thats why it clears when you turn ignition of and on.its a safeguard by the ecu that shuts the turbo down and can be caused by a couple of things.do a search on here for limp mode and you will find plenty of info[:S]

had mine mapped to 175 bhp and 315 Lb ft torque.huge grin factor but be prepared to upgrade your clutch cause eventually it will slip.depends how you drive it really.again loads of info on here about that to.[:)]

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Welcome [Y]

Because you cover 40k a year if i was you i wouldnt be fitting cheap coilovers. You need something will last, give decent comfort and better handling. Plenty of choice its more about what you want to spend.

I think asking 190bhp from the 130 without any other mods might be asking a bit too much .... but not by far.

If i bought a pd130 and did those kind of miles you do i would custom remap it to around 170 bhp and 280 lb-ft torque. Jobs a good un and clutch+DMF might last a few miles.

Get some pics up.

Jay.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
You could have a boost pipe thats coming apart, check intercooler pipes, follow them about look around the connections for leaks.

Your other problem does sound like wheels bancing needs doing, i know you said its been done so maybe its something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts