Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Just saw these in the final 2 minutes on ebay........

Posted Image

Posted Image

didn't have time to search if they'd fit or not so i had a punt and got them for £31.

Two questions......first, fair price? I'm new to MkIV's so i dont know the going rates for stuff......Second, will they fit or can they be made to fit, and if so how do i go about it? My Golfs a 1.8T on an early 2001 plate.

Any help gratefully received......i did a search on here but couldn't find anything definitive lol

Louie

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
that said the middle of the first pic on the clocks looks like something ive never seen,

im sure someone more knowledgeable will let you know[Y]

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the link mate. I thought they looked a bit odd too....the middle LCD looks small? I did a little investigating on here and i think the seller is a forum member called Statey....he had a thread from last year on fitting them to his 1.4. Apparently they went in and worked ok once he got them coded so hopefully i can get them in and working in my GTI somehow :) Just not sure how to go about it lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump!

Anybody? Need to know if the actual fit is a straight swapover or if the wiring plugs need changing and whats involved in getting them coded. Thankks in advance :)

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
As Neil has said they look like they dont have a central Display, But there is a small one at the very bottom possibly form an Automatic??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you read the post that is linked all your questions will be answered there about fitting and coding..

Also if you have a centre display you will loose it as those don't have one as such.
Spooky.....was actually reading through that when my blackberry pinged with your reply! lol Its been suggested in another thread that they might be U.S. spec dials?

I did think about using the clock faces on their own but i'm worried about breaking or misaligning the needles (i've done it fitting dial faces before....not something i wanna repeat). I dont really use the trip and fuel economy meters anyway so its no hardship to lose the MFA display i guess.

So if i fit them - i'm assuming its a direct swapout? - how/who to get them coded? My local VAG dealer isn't brilliant for anything overly tech and charges a fortune lol

Thanks for the replies fellas....much obliged :)

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Where abouts are you from?

There are quite a few helpfull members on here that have the means to fit & code them, Sure there would be someone localish to you thats willing to help you out

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much slap bang between Bristol and Swindon....J17 M4

Any idea how easy/hard it is to swap the foils over assuming its poss? My current clocks are the plain face sport VDO's with the half FIS.....already have the stalk and temp sender with it being a red i, so i dont need those but the new clocks obvs dont have the cutout for the FIS so would it just be a case of trimming?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Pretty much slap bang between Bristol and Swindon....J17 M4

Any idea how easy/hard it is to swap the foils over assuming its poss? My current clocks are the plain face sport VDO's with the half FIS.....already have the stalk and temp sender with it being a red i, so i dont need those but the new clocks obvs dont have the cutout for the FIS so would it just be a case of trimming?

Thanks again :)
That would be Chippenham then!

I might be able to help as I've just coded a set to my 4mo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would be correct! lol Home to Club Tropi-Karma :p You local then? 'Nr. Swindon' covers a multitude of sins..... hahaha

Any help or advice you can give me would be gratefully recieved mate :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. I'll see what theyre like when they turn up. Might be easier to swap the foils over if the warnings etc line up, but appreciate the offer...if it all goes horrible and i have to fit them as-is i'll be in touch :)

Where you based?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts