Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

What a productive weekend it has been!<o:p></o:p>

Sky STILL havent connected me to broadband THREE DAMN WEEKS ITS BEEN (but hey thats another story!)<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

My gear linkages have been playing up - a worn rubber seal in the linkeage mechanism (number 47 in ETKA (illustration 711-22) was to blame - the best ?14 EVER spent! after discovering my car was not going into 1st and 3rd last week, i was thinking allsorts! <o:p></o:p>

"maybe i need a new gearbox! lookle into a 6 speed conversion, starving myself for weeks to pay for the parts! "<o:p></o:p>

but it was simply a worn seal! i replaced much of the linkage system (i already have the TT short shifter)<o:p></o:p>

Gear changes are as smooth as ever! <o:p></o:p>

LATER THAT DAY.<o:p></o:p>

I picked up a set of bora sport clocks from ebay (fellow member 31mitsy - Cheers Kieran) i must admit i paid the going rate but hey - fellow member or not, we all want top dollar when selling off parts!!<o:p></o:p>

i have the early golf with no central computer - proper old skool!<o:p></o:p>

having done some research, i was somewhat confident in fitting these myself - well plugging them in anyway!!<o:p></o:p>

i have the hardware and software to fit the clocks so i thought it cant be TOO hard!<o:p></o:p>

it was a heart skipping saturday afternoon - fitted clocks and the immobilier kicking in, the SKC read did not seem to want to log in when using VAG COM!<o:p></o:p>

but there was a final resort - fellow member aRD !! he is known as the king of all things VAG + electical !<o:p></o:p>

this guy got me up and running in minutes (had to make a quick trip to the cyber cafe too - a nasty experience - honestly!! was my first time i went to one of these establishments!<o:p></o:p>

no warning lights popping up - its coded correctly!<o:p></o:p>

not only did aRD get me up and running, he also activated:<o:p></o:p>

- Miles till empty - basically tells you how many miles the tank will do until fill up <o:p></o:p>

- needles light on ignition - just like the Audi S/RS range and TTs - amazing - honestly - driving through a tunnel during the day and watching the needles move - certainly gave me a good feeling!<o:p></o:p>

as you can see from the pics, the car is totally transformed!! <o:p></o:p>

<o:p>BEFORE:</o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>
Posted Image
</o:p>

<o:p>IGNITION ON (NEEDLES LIGHT UP)</o:p>

Posted Image

<o:p>SIDELIGHTS ON </o:p>

Posted Image

Posted Image

<o:p></o:p>

certain modifications are for aesthetics but i honestly think that the definitive mods on MY car are the r32 steering wheel and the bora sport clocks - really puts a smile on your face - and they totally add to the driving experience!<o:p></o:p>

again, massive props to aRD - anyone who wants this conversion done (pain free) give him a PM!!<o:p></o:p>

next on the list<o:p></o:p>

- fit my pd150 intercooler and pipework<o:p></o:p>

- fit phaeton aerial<o:p></o:p>

- anni gearknob<o:p></o:p>

- r32 leathers<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
R44MS_K, you're welcome buddy, the cluster looks awesome aganist all the R32 trim you have. I can't wait to see it in the flesh. i'll give you a bell next time I'm in London.

aRd.

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
Cool.

So...

How do you get the needles to light up and the miles to empty activated.

I have a Bora Highline with the full FIS and Sat nav linked in with the steering wheel controls.

I NEED the miles to empty feature after having it on my Polo!

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drop aRD a PM!

he will have you smiling in no time!

it involves recoding the EProm data in the cluster

a bit of a grey area on public forums...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks very good, can you activate the needle lights and miles to empty with Vag-com? what headunit / dvd player do you have in? looks good..

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kenwood 6027

i dont think vagcom enables you to read the EPROM data of the cluster - but there is a cable which CAN do this

please PM me for further info!!

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Looks great!

aRd is indeed a wizard with the electrics on the Mk4 Golf!

Did you lose any other functions with the introduction of the "miles till empty" feature to your display or is it additioinal to them all?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
gotta say that those look the business! really great mod with those extra features added which is a real bonus! they make the standard ones look so boring and dull!

[H]

·
Registered
811 Posts
Looks excellent.... Always a mod i wanted to do!

What is the sat nav system you have installed there Looks very nice... where and how much>?

Tim

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its the kenwood 6027

there is a newer model out - 6029 which boasts a 7" screen - mines a 6.5"

i seen these go for around 450ish

sat nav add on is around ?400 ontop

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
You mention you have early golf. I have an august 98 1.8T. the computer information shows through where your clock is on the left hand bottom lcd screen. If I was to get some of these clocks, what would I be able to show through the central screen ?

Also, could I get put my dial facia over the bora sport clock facia ? I only really want the central screen bit ! [:D]

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tylerama - we have the same type of dials

and yes - the info is displayed in the centre bit!

i went for the half FIS - its rare enough to get a diesel variant! i wasnt to fussy - i dont have the OEM nav system so didnt see the point of getting the FIS

i cant wait to sit on my car now....

lol

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Looks great mate.. really looks the part now..

Shameless plug starts now.. lol

@tylerama ive got a half fis cluster brand spanker.. just its for the golf not the bora.. if this is any use to you give me an offer and its yours.

Sat [y]

·
Registered
530 Posts
your interior looks excellent, am loving the Wolfsberg Steering wheel and your SAT NAV system. Would like to know more about that MILES TO EMPTY feature, can it be done on my 2001 gt tdi with full FIS and OEM sat nav? Its a shame i live in NI, not sure if anyone here could do it.

Happy Motoring

Cheers

Noel

PS - hope you received payment for that cable i've ordered.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That looks great!! So much better than your standard clocks.I would also love the MILES TO EMPTY, and the illuminated needles on ignition feature. I have a 2002 1.8t with half FIS.

P.S Do you still sell the auto roll up windows module R44MS_K??

GOOF

1 - 20 of 126 Posts