Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BORA 51-REG headlights aren't bright enough any idea's????????

theyre the bulbs that have the 3 pin connecter on the back.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's all down to the wattage, not the make as suggested [;)]you can get 'standard' 100w bulbs as apposed to the 60w ones that are put in from new. That'll give you a brighter beam and not cost as much as the osram/phillips ones mentioned. The 3pin bulb is a 472, just ask for the 100watt version in any store, they should know what you're on about...unless its a Halfrauds, lol!

·
Registered
459 Posts
didn't know you could get different wattage oem bulbs, I suggested other makes because they are higher wattage.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can get higher wattage OEM bulbs actually [:p] i was just explaining the difference so he didnt buy the others if they were only 60w too!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
IMO the standard OEM headlamps on the Bora are rubbish, and we make them, they beam pattern is awful and the light output is not good enough.

The only decent upgrade is to purchase OEM Xenons and that is always a tricky one as they are so expensive and rare to get hold of.

As for fitting higher wattage bulbs please bear in mind that by doing this you will increase the amount of heat inside the lamp and potentially burn the reflector, housing or in some cases the lens. Higher wattage bulbs were commonly used with glass lens lamps but now with the PC lenses heat will always be an issue which is why the reflector design was improved to get as good a light pattern as possible, however with the Bora lamps this failed miserably.

My other suggestion is by a Superb and I can supply OEM Xenon's, LOL!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeh the Bora headlights are terrible. Reckon I would blind people with the Fogs on all the time? It is actually quite scary at times, I really cannot see more than 3 metres ahead of me at night!

What is the cheap option? What about those Phillips Vision plus or whatever they are? 50% brighter?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeh the Bora headlights are terrible. Reckon I would blind people with the Fogs on all the time? It is actually quite scary at times, I really cannot see more than 3 metres ahead of me at night!

What is the cheap option? What about those Phillips Vision plus or whatever they are? 50% brighter?
Dirving around with foglamps? Boy racer? Sorry just messing!!

Cheap option is to by some type of 50% brighter bulbs such as Philips or Osram, even the Halfords bulbs are OK.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've asked Baker21 the same question and unfortunately the answer is no!
I've been contemplating the FK projector versions with angel eyes for a while, or maybe an bi-xenon H4 conversion in the standard lamps. The only other option is OEM xenons, which are as rare as rocking horse poo 2nd hand or megabucks from the stealers.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Do Hella not do an upgrade light for the Bora?
As ExAudiSi has stated I am afraid that we do not do an upgrade for the Bora.

Maybe you guys should swap the front end of your Bora's for Golf's and then come back and have a chat with me, LOL!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
LOL @ baker21, I think you should speak to your boss and get Hella to produce some Bora headlights[;)]

You know it's the right think to do!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Niknak / ExAudiSi - LOL!!! I reckon that I have more chance of finding a decent bodykit for the Superb as you have Hella making some aftermarket Celis lamps for the Bora!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'll take that as a no then!!!

Any chance of a group buy on some OEM Xenons then, presumably these are Hella items?
No indeed mate, LOL!!

I am afraid that the OEM Xenons are made by Bosch and not Hella. If they were made by Hella then I would have been making a killing by now, LOL!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Would the FK projector versions with angel eyes or the bi-xenon H4 conversion actually give a better light output or are they more for looks than practicality???

Thanks, BB.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I asked when I took my wifes car for an MOT and in the testers opinion,
as long as they give the correct beam pattern and can be aimed
correctly, then they will pass the test. I've been contemplating a
Bi-xenon conversion for my Bora for a while now but am not keen on the
?280 price tag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts