Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am loooking to fit a set of these "Angel eye" lamps to my Bora,
wondering if anyone on here has fitted these? Any problems?
Work well?

I had a quick look at my car yesterday afternoon to see how the OE
lamps would come out. It seems to be help in by more than just
the 2 torx screws I can see at the top of the lamps? Can anyone
tell me if it involves taking the front bumper off to get to the other
screws that is holding them in?

Look forward to any help. Many thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm you'll have to take the front bumper off, and there should be
another two screws that you'll have to undo on the bottom side of the
headlamps!

Its actually alot easier than it sounds tho :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the Bumper itself an easy thing to take off? Are the screws located behind the wheel arch liner?

Thanks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes there is 2 screws that fit into the grille, then if you take the grille out there is another 3 under it. In the 2 outer grilles at the bottom of the bumper there are 2 more more screws, you have to remove the grilles to get to them. These are all 30 Torx screws. Then there is 4 25 Torx screws in each wheel arch. Don't forget you have to set up your headlight alignment afterwards.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the expense of sounding crude, will aligning be as easy as marking
off on a wall where the OE headlights align and then setting the new
ones to do the same?

Will the cabin electronic height adjuster still be sued with the new lamps?

Thanks for the input so far :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not the most accurate way of doing it. Make sure your height adjuster is set to 0 before you mark it off. Then ASAP get them set up correctly.

I would probably set them up slightly lower then your mark just to make sure you don't blind people if you have got it wrong.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Once you get them fitted, please post and let us know if the light output is any better than the standard lights as I'm looking for something brighter than the standard Bora candles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi there i have fitted the exact same lights to my bora they are the biz but i replaced the small lamps in the actual side light rings for some white leds and they look even better i got the replacement leds from Ultraleds only cost me ?23 cos there's 16 of the little buggers and it a bit of chew to fit you need them off the car to do so cos i had to take mine back out but well worth it after i done mine a pulled up behind me mate thought i was in a 5 series

·
Registered
470 Posts
Is the light output from the headlamps themselves any better though?
Not too bothered about the angel eyes bit, just would like to be able to see where I'm going in the dark!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi there i have fitted the exact same lights to
my bora they are the biz but i replaced the small lamps in the actual
side light rings for some white leds and they look even better i got
the replacement leds from Ultraleds only cost me ?23 cos there's 16 of
the little buggers and it a bit of chew to fit you need them off the
car to do so cos i had to take mine back out but well worth it after i
done mine a pulled up behind me mate thought i was in a 5 series
Was the fitting an easy job? Need to remove the bumper to do
it? Does the internal cabin lamp height adjustment work with the
new lights?

As ExAudiSi asks - is the light output better? I am consideriing retro-fitting HIDs with mine.

Thanks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I am consideriing retro-fitting HIDs with mine.
You'll have to be careful with that one mate, the FK (and most other brands for that matter) angel eyes/projector lamps have been designed and fitted with projectors for Halogen bulbs only....

Obviously a HID kit will fit and work fine, but as loads of guys on the Vortex have found out, your light output will be down as the reflector does not focus the HID correctly and the beam pattern is just all over the place and it's just a recipe for major glare.... [:(]

The ones you need are the type that have been designed from the outset with xenon projectors, which are not yet available in RHD unfortunately

I have been lookin into getting some halogen projectors and stripping them down and fitting some Bosch D2S Xenon projector units into them, it has been done before and gives you the correct light output/beam pattern etc... [:D]

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
the fitting wasn't that hard yes the bumper has to come off there are four screws behind the grill two screws behind the outer lower grills on the bumper and i think four on each side under the wheel arch i had to slot out the top fixing holes and place washers behind the light on the bottom fixings to make them line up with the wings grill and bumper and as long as you take the hight adjustment motor out of your old lights and putit in your new ones it'll work make sure its at 0. as far as light output goes i fitted mine with super bright white xenon bulbs which are 50% brighter than the standard bulbs i had in, you notice the differance or you can go for a blue tint like the one merc's use so end result is it looks the dogs and you can see better

·
Registered
459 Posts
Were these angel eyes of E-bay or from a motor parts trader ?  I'd be really interested in doing this mod to by bora, but won't touch anything coming from e-steal your money and run / send crap items bay.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you mean for the angel rings? It is a small wedge type ones. Not sure on the size to be honest.

The main and bipped are H7s.

PS. If anyone is interested, my Angel headlamps are for sale!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts