Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Equipment:

DLS A5 3 channel amp

IA 12" Lethal injection sub

PC3-11 Adaptor

I want to keep all the standard speakers (yes including rears) and Gamma HU.

My question is about wiring the fronts to the Amp.

What do I need to do?

Also I don't seem to understand this
"Cut the speaker wires from the headunit end of the harness adapter and
connect the amp speaker outputs to these wires. It just means you dont
have to go tracing the speaker wires through the loom" and when its time
to sell the car you just whip out the amp and harness adapter and plug
the old headunit back in."

Thanks

D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have amped my original speakers in my golf I never cut mine HU end I cut them in the door so as if I get rid of tit I can put back as original

I used a Autoleads adaptor from Nexia Item is a PC3-11 it has a yellow iso connection so plugs straight into your Gamma and has RCA plugs on the other end for the amp then you can run an rca lead down to the boot to amp ten run your speaker cables back down to the spaekers

hope this helps

P.S. adaptor cost me bout 8, 9 quid

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why you want to amp these speakers it makes no sense to amp them, the only thing that will happen here is distortion which will sound crap! better replacing the front speakers  first

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I aint getting any distortion from mine, unless i turn te stereo up to stupidly loud volumes which it then becomes a bit to loud to sit in there and listen to any way

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand where you mean you cut them. Basically when I sell I want to go back to standard wiring, are they plugged or soldered into the crossover also where is the crossover???

How do you remove the cards, if you have to remove them to get to the speakers,

Adaptor on it's way ;)

And giving more power to speakers is fine, it is called headroom, Distortion only occurs when you crank it up full. If you want to have a loud install then by all means upgrade the fronts like I did in my last car but I have been reliably told that you not need to in the golf/bora as they are suprisingly decent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is my point exactly "Distortion only occurs when you crank it up full" why you need to amp them as the on board power is enough in the first place. As for headroom does this not mean that you take it to the point of distortion so pointless really. And as for the speakers being suprisinlgy decent who told you this a deaf person as they sound totally crap. Sorry dont want to cause anything but this is all wrong. As for removing door cards. On your grab handle to open/close the door there is a plastic handle that pushes back the way when you have done this the clip will then lift up and there will be 2 screws there, Bottom of the door are 3 torques?  and at the inside of the door, at the A post up at the mirror there is a philps screw as well, they are very stiff panels to come off but just need forced and be carefull not to break any clips

·
Registered
40 Posts
I aint getting any distortion from mine, unless i turn te stereo up to stupidly loud volumes which it then becomes a bit to loud to sit in there and listen to any way
This is why you cant sit in it because its distorting, if it wasn't it would be a clean sound and would be able to listen to it no probs in the first place.

the speakers in vw's are crap (apart from new passat ) thats all im saying here.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I amped the fronts in my Bora a while back in the following fashion:

Buy ISO to ISO loom from Halfords

Cut the wires for the front speakers on the loom (follow diagram on the HU or in the HU manual)

Remove HU

Using bullet connectors, attach your speaker cable that you've run from the amp, to the speaker wires you've just snipped on the loom (remember to attach them to the snipped wires that will flow to the speakers, not into the HU!)

Attach ISO loom to stereo and to the cars original wiring loom, hey presto, amped fronts in 30 minutes.

Assuming your amp is properly installed, this is a fairly easy route, and once you've finished with the car, remove the ISO to ISO loom, plug original wiring loom back into the HU and there is no trace of a system being there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
sorry but I dont agree with some thing said here.

I used to install car stereos for a living so I know a thing or two.

The stock speakers in the Golf are very good (not excellent, but comparing to other cars' stock systems)

The goal of a good amplifier install (unless you're competing in dB
drag) is to make your lows lower and your highs higher ... definition
and clarity. At moderate volumes an amped speaker will sound much
better than a non-amped speaker, even if the amp is rated higher than
the speakers. Of course, changing the speakers will make the sound
better, but if you're happy with the OEM system and just want an
improvement, by all means go ahead and amp them. just set the gains
right and make sure you use a decent speaker line-> RCA adaptor and
make sure you ground it properly.

bam margera's solution is a good one, saves your original loom and
would be easier to work on (cutting and joining wires on the
disconnected loom rather than in the dash).

If you still didn't buy the amplifier look for one with speaker line
inputs so you don't have to use a converter, and route the cables from
your HU to the input, then the output to the loom plug (going to the
speakers). Remember you are connecting your amplifier between your HU
and speakers.

any problems come back here and ill do my best to help

EDIT:

I've looked at the DLS amp. I would not install that with the stock HU
with an adaptor - would be a waste of quality. how much does it cost?

I would strongly suggest you buy a mid-range HU from one of the following (with RCA out, of course):

(in order of):

1. Alpine

2. Pioneer

3. Kenwood

4. Sony

I wouldn't go for JVC in any situation. I have not used Blaupunkt so maybe it
should be in the above list I don't know. I currently have an Alpine
CDA9807 in my car (not my Golf... yet) and its brilliant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already own the A5 I also had DLS R5a's previously but have flogged
them due being too small. Pioneer unit sitting in the garage
waiting to be flogged as it just doesn't fit in.

The two main reasons I am keeping the stock HU is one I cannot afford a becker and two I cannot afford a becker.

I also want to keep the stock fronts for now as funds are a bit thin on the ground and in the future upgrade.

Now let me get this straight the original wire is soldered on to the speakers? So cut away there and add new speaker wire?

I'm still not sure about the crossover where is it???

Cheers by the way

·
Registered
40 Posts
sorry but I dont agree with some thing said here.

I used to install car stereos for a living so I know a thing or two.

The stock speakers in the Golf are very good (not excellent, but comparing to other cars' stock systems)

The goal of a good amplifier install (unless you're competing in dB drag) is to make your lows lower and your highs higher ... definition and clarity. At moderate volumes an amped speaker will sound much better than a non-amped speaker, even if the amp is rated higher than the speakers. Of course, changing the speakers will make the sound better, but if you're happy with the OEM system and just want an improvement, by all means go ahead and amp them. just set the gains right and make sure you use a decent speaker line-> RCA adaptor and make sure you ground it properly.

bam margera's solution is a good one, saves your original loom and would be easier to work on (cutting and joining wires on the disconnected loom rather than in the dash).

If you still didn't buy the amplifier look for one with speaker line inputs so you don't have to use a converter, and route the cables from your HU to the input, then the output to the loom plug (going to the speakers). Remember you are connecting your amplifier between your HU and speakers.

any problems come back here and ill do my best to help

EDIT:

I've looked at the DLS amp. I would not install that with the stock HU with an adaptor - would be a waste of quality. how much does it cost?

I would strongly suggest you buy a mid-range HU from one of the following (with RCA out, of course):
(in order of):

1. Alpine
2. Pioneer
3. Kenwood
4. Sony

I wouldn't go for JVC in any situation. I have not used Blaupunkt so maybe it should be in the above list I don't know. I currently have an Alpine CDA9807 in my car (not my Golf... yet) and its brilliant.
"The stock speakers on a golf are very good " sorry but i really disagree with you there, and you use to do this for a living as for just putting in a good amp sorry this is crap a good system needs to be a chain of good equipment ie headunit, rca's, amp, speakers, sub and as for adding sony and kenwood to you list of headunits i would rather keep the head unit than put this crap in my car

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sony and Kenwood can and have made some superb HU's. Take for example the Sony C90R which when released was comparable in performance to the Alpine CDA-7939R which is still considered to be one of the best HU's of all time. Admittedly some Kenwood and Sony stuff is aimed at the 'bling bling' market with not much going for them in terms of ultimate SQ, but not everyone buys a HU so they can hear every subtle naunce in the recordings of their choice. Some people buy them to play MP3's and dazzle their friends with the highly distractive coloured and complicated displays.

In my opinion, if you want an SQ HU, you should consider the following;

Nakamichi CD700, McIntosh MX406, Alpine F1/7909/7939, Denon DCT1000R/Z1 and even old school Sony C90R!

I would recommend a Becker Mexico Pro over any current Alpine or Pioneer, they can be had for around ?270, are excellent quality, play MP3's, very easy to use and look virtually standard (if you buy the model in VW coloured illumination).

·
Registered
79 Posts
""The stock speakers on a golf are very good " sorry but i really
disagree with you there, and you use to do this for a living as for
just putting in a good amp sorry this is crap a good system needs to be
a chain of good equipment ie headunit, rca's, amp, speakers, sub and as
for adding sony and kenwood to you list of headunits i would rather
keep the head unit than put this crap in my car"

I totally agree with you that they are not "excellent" speakers,
but when I say very good, i'm comparing to other stock systems. Not
everyone can justify buying a complete system that would start at about
1000 pounds.

I actually pondered for a while before putting Sony on that list, but
sony have made good HU's and they have a lot of options and decent SQ
for the price. Notice that it is at the bottom of the list.

I myself would never use Kenwood or Sony but thats only because I love
my music and am a DJ, and i'm willing to spent the extra pound to hear
the best SQ I can afford. Not everyone, however, feels that way, I
myself get shocked faces when people ask me how much my current system
costs, and even more when I say i'm not too happy with it but its OK.

anyways i'm just trying to give good advice according to what I would do myself.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have amped all my speakers in my Bora, and not cutting any original wires.

I bought a ISO adapter harness, which had the female ISO parts on it, (the speaker ISO plug is male) wired up speaker cable to it, ran the cable to the boot and pluged the cars wiring loom in to the ISO plug, so the amplifier goes AMP - ISO FEMALE - ISO MALE (Cars speaker plug) - Speakers. Not cutting of anything original. No need to take door panels off or anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have amped all my speakers in my Bora, and
not cutting any original wires.
I bought a ISO adapter harness, which had the female ISO parts on it,
(the speaker ISO plug is male) wired up speaker cable to it, ran the
cable to the boot and pluged the cars wiring loom in to the ISO plug,
so the amplifier goes AMP - ISO FEMALE - ISO MALE (Cars speaker plug) -
Speakers. Not cutting of anything original. No need to take door panels
off or anything.
Let me get this right the Gamma has a seperate ISO for the speakers which is Male?

So I would Have my New Speaker wires run into an Female ISO and plug into the Male ISO on the loom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have amped all my speakers in my Bora, and
not cutting any original wires.
I bought a ISO adapter harness, which had the female ISO parts on it,
(the speaker ISO plug is male) wired up speaker cable to it, ran the
cable to the boot and pluged the cars wiring loom in to the ISO plug,
so the amplifier goes AMP - ISO FEMALE - ISO MALE (Cars speaker plug) -
Speakers. Not cutting of anything original. No need to take door panels
off or anything.