Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the club an im looking at buying a bora and was hoping for a little help and advise on what i should be looking for. is there any common faults, common weak points or areas that start to rust. its a 2001 1.9tdi sport 115bhp with the 6 speed box with very low mileage.

Any help would great

Thanks James.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi mate, im pretty new to the Bora as well having just bought a 2003 1.9TDi Sport 150bhp... now a few things I have found along the way are... to check the window switches! The front 2 switches have 2 up and 2 down positions... half press up or down is manual (window will stop when you let go of the switch) and full press up or down is automatic (window goes all the way up or down without holding the switch)... on my Bora, passenger side worked fine but drivers side wouldnt go up automatically... result a new switch unit was needed.

Also, as its a sport model, it will have climatronic (atleast I think so, mine does as did my mates), stick the air con on and check under the bonnet to ensure the cooling fans are working! This is a common problem with them failing on low speed. Check the sticky topic called FAN PROBLEM - POLL SYNOPSIS.

Great cars anyhow so im sure it will be fine and you will love it!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
would not worry about mileage mate. My boras at 166000k and still pulls like a mofo. It is no where near standard either and holds up fine.

Head gaskets go on the after a while but i think fine once replaced. just make sure diesels have a good history with RELIGIOUS oil changes.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hi mate, im pretty new to the Bora as well having just bought a 2003 1.9TDi Sport 150bhp... now a few things I have found along the way are... to check the window switches! The front 2 switches have 2 up and 2 down positions... half press up or down is manual (window will stop when you let go of the switch) and full press up or down is automatic (window goes all the way up or down without holding the switch)... on my Bora, passenger side worked fine but drivers side wouldnt go up automatically... result a new switch unit was needed.

Also, as its a sport model, it will have climatronic (atleast I think so, mine does as did my mates), stick the air con on and check under the bonnet to ensure the cooling fans are working! This is a common problem with them failing on low speed. Check the sticky topic called FAN PROBLEM - POLL SYNOPSIS.

Great cars anyhow so im sure it will be fine and you will love it!
sorry to hijack....but..my drivers elec window switch is playing up now....where did

you get the switch mate...are they expensive and easy to replace??

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got mine from ebay for 99p lol but think you can get them cheap on there still. Works perfect now. Easy to replace mate, simply pull the whole door handle unit up (needs a bit of force and leverage) and unscrew the window switch unit from it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I got mine from ebay for 99p lol but think you can get them cheap on there still. Works perfect now. Easy to replace mate, simply pull the whole door handle unit up (needs a bit of force and leverage) and unscrew the window switch unit from it.
cheers fella, sometimes i can have the window open a lil and i press to close and it opens further!! lol will keep eyes peeled for one

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You shouldn't have any trouble with rust i shouldn't think. Mine is a 1999 bora that's been abused its whole life.. and it has no rust [:)]

One thing i wish i'd known is the price of a new clutch. The clutch needs doing, it still works but it's really heavy and a total nightmare in traffic. New clutch is about 150 quid, and it's recommended you do the flywheel at the same time, that's another 300ish on top!

Also interior parts are very expensive. Mine has broken vents, and a new set costs up to 100 quid on ebay.. mental!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all just to let you know, i took all your advise and bought it [:)] YAAY!!! its a 2001 Bora 115bhp with 30,000miles , it will be a great project [:)]

James

·
Registered
799 Posts
check the front wings for rust around the arch. mine and quite a few people that i know have rust there

micro switches in the doors, which make stuff like the puddle lights come on and stuff like that, cheap to fix tho

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
hi m8 and wellcome to the forums. good car you got for your self there , 30k its nothing for engine like that. enjoy it and look after it

[^^]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi all just to let you know, i took all your advise and bought it
YAAY!!! its a 2001 Bora 115bhp with 30,000miles , it will be a great project

James
Nice one mate! Welcome to the club I wouldnt be without my Bora... 2003 150bhp with 136,000 on the clock and going stronger than ever! lol

Got any pics of her?

Ross

1 - 20 of 30 Posts