Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random alarms sounding, fuse 14 blowing, all sorts of shenanigans. I assume this is likely to be the culprit....

Easiest way to fix? Cut the rubber boot off, solder the wires together and shrink seal them?

Disconnect the rear washer and rear central locking plug, tape the ends off and forget about it?

Honestly, so many of the wires are snapped or frayed I'm surprised this is the only problem.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car
Hand Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
Just fix the lot.. it's common and once repaired it'll be fine for the next 15 years or so... ps you don't have to cut the rubber boot off their should be enough room once you compress it, so you can fix the wires... goodthing they are coloured so you can't go wrong.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,704 Posts
Crimping would work, but I'd get annoyed with myself trying to work in such a tight area. I'd be quicker (I'd have thought), just ripping off two trim panels and replacing the lot! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. The wires are very tight so I've taped the wires off with some electrical tape for now and disconnected the plugs that attach to the rear wiper motor and boot lock. No alarm so far! I've been reliably informed if the alarm does insist on going off pulling fuses 6 and 14 will stop it? I just don't want to piss off the neighbours, the car drives fine and I don't mind if the central locking and interior lights don't work in the interim. I've ordered a couple of wiring harness kit replacement thingies on Ebay that come with the rubber boot and the wires in the middle ready to go, I'll give them a go and see how they are.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go to your local scrap yard see if get a replacement loom pull all the wring back from the boot to above the roof lining and repair there either with new wire. Or a used loom from another golf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts