Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inside the boot, depending obviously on the trim 'level' of the car, there are fibre panels that hide the various cubby holes etc. Is it possible to buy these seperately in the UK? (In France the dealers seem unsure as whether or not ANYTHING is available after they've sold you the car...)

In particular, I'm looking for the largest panel, to the left of the boot - like this

Posted Image

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have both panels, drivers side and passenger side. In grey carpet with the door to the first aid kit included on the passenger side and the 12v outlet on the drivers side.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bearing in mind that I have a LHD model (living in France) am I correct in thinking by "drivers side" you actually mean right (looking from the back to the front of the vehicule)?

If so, does the left hand panel look as if it will fit the opening in my photo?

Thirdly, am I to understand that you're prepared to sell them?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah sorry, the panel i have which is the passenger side, will fit your drivers side. And yes it is for sale.

Not sure how much postahe would be, but i will take ?10 for it + whatever postage would cost..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One last question before I PM you - how does it clip in?

I mean that there are no slots in the existing trim - does this imply I've got to cut slots into the recessed bit to take a catch? If so, no bother, just wondered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm also after the same panel if
anyone has one spare. VW quoted ?30 + Vat. I'm toying with
making a sub enclosure to go in the triangular area where the first aid
kit goes, but I'll need to hack that panel up to allow it to fit.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but i think he is offering the total piece of trim, that covers the whole side of the car, including the flap! To replace it u need to remove the luggage net clip thing as the trim goes behind this!

On another note, i tried building a stealth sub box there out of mdf, it fitted prefectly, but the sub wouldnt fit in the box! [:'(]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you're right - that doesn't bother me (unless the carpet's pink or something!) As to taking off the luggage net clip thing, I was already expecting to take all the wheels off, the exhaust and most of the seats out to do this (it's amazing where they hide the screws...) so I'm not at all fazed by this. Thanks for warning me.

As for your sub box, couldn't you simply put a smaller speaker????????????

It's ok, I'm going...

As for hijacking the thread, that's ok - us Indigo Blue owners have to stick together...

·
Registered
26 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but i think he is
offering the total piece of trim, that covers the whole side of the
car, including the flap! To replace it u need to remove the luggage net
clip thing as the trim goes behind this!

On another note, i tried building a stealth sub box there out of
mdf, it fitted prefectly, but the sub wouldnt fit in the box! [:'(]
Yep, thought that would be the case. I was either gonna try to
get a decent 8" sub and see how it fared, or hack that trim back a
little further to make more room for it, then hiding the edge of the
trim behind the sub enclosure edge.

Indigo owners of the world unite!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yep, thought that would be the case. I was either gonna try to get a decent 8" sub and see how it fared, or hack that trim back a little further to make more room for it, then hiding the edge of the trim behind the sub enclosure edge.
I ended up getting a JL Audio 8W3v2 Sub for ?85 new off ebay! its got two 2ohm coils and is really good! got a normal box off auto acoustics website reduced at ?20 and the trim is a pretty good match! Well pleased with it atm! [H]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you post some pics? I only ask 'cos I'm old and completely lost when it comes to JL Audio 8W3v2 (is that with or without the spring rolls?) and such like...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks - it's much clearer for me now.

I think it's particularly cunning to have 'designed' enough space to be able to jam a jacket in between the boot lining and the sub unit...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
lol, that was planned, honest [:$]

what it is really is that there is some funny diagonal thing on the boot floor which stops me from pushing it into the corner, so its just upagainst the back of the seat and as far possible to the right as it can be! just enought room for my coat! [H]

·
Registered
26 Posts
lol, that was planned, honest [:$]

what it is really is that there is some funny diagonal thing on
the boot floor which stops me from pushing it into the corner, so its
just upagainst the back of the seat and as far possible to the right as
it can be! just enought room for my coat! [H]
Heh heh, I like it!

I've got a 10" kicker sub in an enclosure sitting there doing nothing,
but since I need to carry my mountain bike in there with the seats
down, or sometimes a *cough* set of Golf clubs I'm not willing to give
up any boot space.

When I had that in my scooby I mounted the amp on the side of the
enclosure, made a false floor and held it in with 2 straps. I
could remove it in 5-10 minutes, but I'd like to have a permanent sub
in the Golf which doesn't lose me any space.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Heh heh, I like it!

I've got a 10" kicker sub in an enclosure sitting there doing nothing, but since I need to carry my mountain bike in there with the seats down, or sometimes a *cough* set of Golf clubs I'm not willing to give up any boot space.

When I had that in my scooby I mounted the amp on the side of the enclosure, made a false floor and held it in with 2 straps. I could remove it in 5-10 minutes, but I'd like to have a permanent sub in the Golf which doesn't lose me any space.
I was planning on doing a similar this cos i didnt wanna loose boot space! can still remove the sub though and leave the amp on the seat!

I also carry a bike, but bought the VW bike rack that fits to the tailgate, ?120 from VW speed! means i cannot get a bootflush or spoiler though! [:'(]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Personally I'm not interested in plastering my boot with amplifiers and speakers, but I do understand the people who touched by these kind of afflictions (!) - I seem to remember reading somewhere about hiding a s*****g great bass unit in the hole in the middle of the spare wheel. Seems like a really good idea - obviously you'd need military grade speaker grill to stop busting the cone (or simply a NASA bass unit - they listen to music in space don't they?) and a cunning system to enable you to unplug it easily (in the UNLIKELY event of a flat...)

Taking this a step further, if you were to kit out your car with run-flat tyres (Continental make some, it seems) you could do away with the spare wheel all together - think of the possibilities - there's almost enough room for a small granny-flat in there...certainly enough space for an amp and a speaker or three...

This does lead one to wonder about the low frequencies generated by such systems - do people find parts of the rear suspension falling off as the nuts undo themselves? Have there been reports of various pieces of external trim flying off and incommoding passers by? We should be told!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was planning on doing a similar this cos i
didnt wanna loose boot space! can still remove the sub though and leave
the amp on the seat!

I also carry a bike, but bought the VW bike rack that fits to the
tailgate, ?120 from VW speed! means i cannot get a bootflush or spoiler
though! [:'(]
I've got the roof spoiler so can't even use the bike rack. [:(] Have to make do with chucking a blanket down instead!

If I can't fit a sub in the side panel as mentioned before I'll see if
I can do a quick-release setup (probably make another false floor) and
use quick-release connectors for the power feeds too.

Best go and buy some MDF eh! [:)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts