Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I'm sure this is most probably a repost, but I can't seem to type in the correct search criteria to find the answer I need!

We're getting the intermittantly flashing "Door Open" light on the dash, which I presume to mean the boot sensor is buggered...

What I need to know is... what's the fix for this one?

Cheers in advance,

slinky

·
Registered
586 Posts
Does it tell you its the Luggage Compartment?

Does the sensor look in the boot look wet? A common problem is the rear washer leaking onto the sensor and causing this fault, is there any difference in pressure in the rear window washer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have one indicator to show that a "door" is open, and it is that that is lit..

Rear wiper pressure is completely fine..

Can you point me in the right direction for finding the sensor? I had a quick look last night, but it was rather dark!

Cheers,

slinky

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Do all Mk4's have a 'door open' warning light on the dash?

Can't say i've ever seen mine work if I have one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just had a good look...

My boot catch is somewhat damp, and smells of screenwash..

Houston, I think we've found our problem!!

I'll be stripping that down over the next few days and giving it a clean..

Cheers all.

slinky

btw, Garfie, just for info mine's an 02 TDI S..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Do all Mk4's have a 'door open' warning light on the dash?

Can't say i've ever seen mine work if I have one
Don't thinks so but I'm not sure. Just thought I would check and try to eliminate it being any of the doors.

Good luck getting it fixed Slinky.

·
Registered
524 Posts
oh my God !! how many Golf's suffer from this??

Mine is really annoying me !!!!

Must..........Fix................................it !!

But I just canna be ar$ed !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
this is a very common fault that vw are aware of. The water leak drips on the wiring plug in the boot catch and corrodes the plug and pins. Mine had just corroded the the plug so i bought a new one (about 50p) and soldered it on. Worst case is the pins on the sensor will be corroded and you'll need a completely new boot catch (about ?20) as the sensor is part of the catch. I suppose you could bodge a fix but for those prices i would personally buy new stuff. If you still have the leak vw sell a modified clip which goes on the washer pipe to stop the leak.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
does anyone know if the boot warning light can be disabled in vag-com. reason i ask is because i have the light on the dash, but its never worked, i have a new boot lock and catch and the light in the boot works fine, as does the alarm if u open the boot via the lock! drove home with my bike on my boot rack, only to find when i got home the boot wasnt shut properly [:$]
tia

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
not sure if you can disable it, but the last owner may have joined the wire for the boot warning to the earth wire to stop the warning light coming on...? have you got all three wires in the plug connecting to the boot catch? I'll sniff round vag com and see if you can disable the warning.i would think you could

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
yep, all three wires are connected! The connections look fine and havent corroded at all! I did put a multimeter across it once, cant remember what happened though! I may bridge the connections if i ever take the cover off again!
thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nothing is coming out of my rear washer now even though it's got water in it. When I had to change the wheel tonight I noticed the spare wheel well had water in it. I bet it's totally come off and is squirting out down the inner boot panel ! [:(]

·
Registered
18 Posts
i had this problem the other day

i read a few posts on this forum and decided to give it ago

took the rear plastic cover off and found that the pipe had disconnected so reconnected that and made sure it didn't leak

Then had a look at the switch inisde of the catch the switch seemed to be working ok but what i had noticed that the plug on it was corroded as it had been sitting in water

i cleaned it out with some switch cleaner then put some silicon grease inside and rebuilt it all and it is now working perfectly :)

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Anyone got any instructions how to get the rear panel off the boot, had a quick look and cant see any screws etc?

Thanks.
There's two screws within the grab handle bits on the inside rear panel. Once those are out the rest is held on by clips

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cheers Garfie,

Got most of it open, got the two screws out by the grab handles, also bout 5/6 clips slid out just didnt want to pull the top part of the window part too hard, will give it a good tug now :)

Good job this post came up , mines leaking again :( Effing Vw and their temporary mods. Will rant about the rest of my trauma today in a new post.

Ta again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks guys,

Finally got the plastic panel off after a bit of aggression - found that the hose had disconnected, probably due to the fact that it had frozen in the recent cold weather...

It took about 24 hours to dry out and for the light to disappear. I thought that the noise had changed when the water was coming out, it sounded like the pump was having to work really hard.

Really pleased I came on here to have a look!

Cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is an old post but I thought I'd add my findings for the benefit of anyone with the same issue.

Yesterday, whilst driving the boot open light came on, dim at first. Later the computer intermittently displayed the warning too (with annoying beep). When removing the boot trim panel brute force was the method that removed it without damage. After removing the screws in the handles, starting at the bottom it "peeled" off without needing a tool. The Haynes manual failed to mention that the corners latch into the vertical trims so these needed lifting off a little to finally free the main trim (this took a while to figure out). With the panel off, sure enough the pipe had disconnected. The micro-switch on the lock was wet. I removed the connector and blasted it all with air and so far it's been OK.

Andy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts