1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted Image

I decided to upgrade my sound-system in my car a few weeks back and to
compliment my 17.5cm infinity component speakers, I bought a JBL Gran
Touring amp and an infinity 10" Sub (or not as I found out - read on).

While I was waiting on my 10" sub off ebay, I borrowed a mates budget
Mutant 10" sub and used that as my template for my new boot install.

I went for the low key look because I didn't want a whopping sub box
sat in my boot taking up all the usable space, so I opted for a side
mounted install which left me with all the boot space I need.

I've added two MDF sides for everything to be mounted to and behind the
sub is a custom sealed box which fits between the wheel arch and the
rear lights.

Half way through building the install, my Infinity sub arrived off eBay
in it's sealed box all looking boomingly loud. But when I unpacked it,
I discovered that it wasn't infact a 10" sub at all...it was a 12".

This obviously screwed up the design of the install as I now had a sub which was too big for the hole I had previously made.

Never one to be put off by such a thing, I fashioned up three 'adaptor
rings' that set the sub out from the sealed box and everything was good
again!

Anyway, here's the completed pics after they were carpeted:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
that looks great! loads of effort there! [Y] Maximised boot space!! really neat too I tried something like that once.

how is the sub box held in place?? What's it sounds like??

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice one mate, looks very tidy! Hows it sound?! Shame about the different sized Sub, ay....bummer...what a minute....its bigger?.....bargain! You've done a good job though, like it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sub sounds great in the box, doesn't distort or anything like that.

Basically, i'd say it's performing like a good 10" sub, but not like a good 12" sub in a purpose built box.
However, that doesn't bother me because I don't like too much bass and this provides just enough to let you feel the kick :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks great
Only comment i would have it to drill the panel where the amp is mounted and route the cables from the backside of the panel so you don't see the cables running down to the boot floor for the RCA leads (less likely to get tangled up when you put somthing in the boot too)

Nice job though

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
which jbl amp is that because i have the Gto1201.1 and it sound great but is powering 3 8inch JL audi 8wo6
but mine take up lot of room and i have it like yours.
looks great
lex

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
that looks magnificent. very well done from what i can see. good to hear that it sounds nice too, which is the important thing.?
Seriously, I'd pay money for this if you were knocking them out! must have been a fair bit of work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, this is a blast from the past!

The carpet is Halfords own brand and cost me ?24.99 for a roll (still have some left over).
I'm currently not making these to order, but if there was enough interest then I would definately consider it - I just think it would be rather expensive with the postage of the things as they are fairly heavy.

The box I'm using is actually for a 10" sub, however the adaptor rings enable me to use a 12" sub. As I said before, it's not perfectly tuned for the sub, however it is the biggest I could possibly get it without starting to intrude in to the boot space.

Let me know if you'd be interested in an install and give me a realistic top end amount you'd be willing to spend, that way I can taylor it appropriately.

·
Registered
339 Posts
that looks magnificent. very well done from what i can see. good to hear that it sounds nice too, which is the important thing.

Seriously, I'd pay money for this if you were knocking them out! must have been a fair bit of work.
i would pay aswell only thing im concerned about is the sub moving around would it make any difference as i have a 12" solo baric could this be done with that too?

Pritesh

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do you mean worried about the sub moving around? The sides of the install are bolted to the boot where the two handles normally go then via a fabricated attachment block nearer the light clusters.

Any 12" Sub would fit, the outside diameter will be the same for all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts