Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question I have a boost gauge by new south performance for my 1.8T AUQ. Where do I connect the hose to?
Hood Eyewear Gadget Automotive lighting Finger
Bicycle tire Wood Audio equipment Bag Bicycle handlebar

It has a 4mm hose connected to the valve in the gauge in the image and a smaller one connected to it and a lil L metal piece. He had a diesel and said my connections will differ depending on where you connect too. He told me to buy a 4mm 5m ramair tube. To long I know.

I'm curious to where do I connect it too? And do I need a T hose? I watched a YouTube video but it doesn't show my engine model.

Cheers

· No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,460 Posts
Quick question I have a boost gauge by new south performance for my 1.8T AUQ. Where do I connect the hose to?
View attachment 53143 View attachment 53144

It has a 4mm hose connected to the valve in the gauge in the image and a smaller one connected to it and a lil L metal piece. He had a diesel and said my connections will differ depending on where you connect too. He told me to buy a 4mm 5m ramair tube. To long I know.

I'm curious to where do I connect it too? And do I need a T hose? I watched a YouTube video but it doesn't show my engine model.

Cheers

1,460 Posts
This is what's in the kit for a petrol 1.8T Golf Mk4 ... showing the tubing and T piece

You need the T piece. Most people connect to the vacuum hose off the FPR using the T piece.

New South T-Piece (on Awesome gti website): Newsouth NoBuzz Restrictor T-Fitting (CON003)

The T-Piece has two larger ends (the same size vacuum tubing that comes off the FPR) and a smaller end that feeds the New South Gauge.

You need the smaller diameter nylon tubing that will go from the T-Piece (smaller tube opening) to the New South gauge.

Reactions: DeltaGTI

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what's in the kit for a petrol 1.8T Golf Mk4 ... showing the tubing and T piece

You need the T piece. Most people connect to the vacuum hose off the FPR using the T piece.

New South T-Piece (on Awesome gti website): Newsouth NoBuzz Restrictor T-Fitting (CON003)

The T-Piece has two larger ends (the same size vacuum tubing that comes off the FPR) and a smaller end that feeds the New South Gauge.

You need the smaller diameter nylon tubing that will go from the T-Piece (smaller tube opening) to the New South gauge.
Hi thanks for the information. I actually managed to fit it however I'm barely getting a reading with the engine on. I purchased a T piece 4mm on all 3 tips. I connected it to the two different places. The gauge barely moved as I reved it. I didn't drive the car but just reved it.

I'm not sure if it's faulty but it moves up by 3mm or so.

I checked all ends was sealed also.

Does it move if I rev it or must I drive the vehicle to see the gauge move? As I saw on some YouTube vids the gauge moving without the vehicle moving, maybe it was diesel. I hope this makes sense.

I should have driven it but dismantled it in frustration. I might try it again but curious. I tried blowing into the tube and realised it needs quite a large amount of pressure to even more the needle. It would barely go up by 3mm or so...

Any ideas on what the cause could be? Or where I'm going wrong? I sure hope it's not faulty as I bought it off a friend.

1,460 Posts
You need a load on the engine to show positive boost on the gauge .......... if everything is connected up correctly the needle will move when you drive it

Reactions: DeltaGTI

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need a load on the engine to show positive boost on the gauge .......... if everything is connected up correctly the needle will move when you drive it
So I potentially could of had it working properly. I should have driven it. I will test tomorrow when I get the chance. I stripped the gauge and now need plumbers tape to seal the gauge connection to the square copper block so I can connect a 4mm hose.

Thanks I'll give that a try.. this time I'll drive it. If anyone else can confirm you need to drive it to see the boost gauge needle move please let me know. I just don't want to set it up and it not work.

· VR6 GT35 4mo
11,929 Posts
Stock 1.8t or deletes done? Stock, you'll need a t-piece. Deletes done, there are spare nipples under the manifold, use one of these. Do not connect to the FPR - if you have a leak on your setup you'll cause havoc with the fuel pressure.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock 1.8t or deletes done? Stock, you'll need a t-piece. Deletes done, there are spare nipples under the manifold, use one of these. Do not connect to the FPR - if you have a leak on your setup you'll cause havoc with the fuel pressure.
It's stock mate. I did initially put it on the FPR. I don't believe I have a leak on it. I did rotate itby pulling the pin out and lifting. Lots oil on that im sure this is normal and rotated right 90 degrees and put pin back in. Any signs for a leak?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts