Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently fitted a secondhand boost gauge to an A-pillar pod on my 18T. Since fitting it and driving the car I have found that the needle "flutters" quite loudly especially on higher boost levels which is very very annoying and starting to drive me mad!!![:mad:]

Has anyone else who has fitted a boost gauge come across this problem? Any advice appreciated...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Obvious I know, but check the vacuum lines from the boost gauge to the t-piece and around the vacuum lines on the engine for cracks, ill-fitting etc. Also make sure there is no residue (oil/water) in the lines them selves.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Also make sure that the vacuum hose is fitted snug and tight to the back of the guage.If it has a threaded union on the back of the guage get hold of the proper connector for the vacuum hose or cable tie the vacuum hose real tight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for your advice guys, will try and check the whole plumbing side of things over tonight. As for the gauge it is a Racetech gauge, don't know if these are any good just got it for a good price on fleabay (may be a good reason why it was cheap!?!).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
From memory, I think I have seen this issue before fixed by putting a small filter in the vac/boost line to dampen down the fluctuations.

One of the reasons why I went for an electronic boost guage, that and I don't fancy a potential source of oil in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yes there is a small amount of oil in the boosted air - check out your intercooler. In the event of a major turbo failure there could be a lot of oil at the moment it lets go.

So all oily bits where they belong under the bonnet on mine.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I fitted it a couple of years ago and can't remember how much it was.

They are quite straight forward to install. Unlike a mechanical boost guage it will required a switched power connection, and then in place of a vacume/boost pipe you run a cable loom to the sensor that you install under the bonnet. The sensor then plumbs into the car the same way that the vacume/boost line would on a mechanical guage.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good. Don't suppose you know the make of it?
This is the one I went for http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=131 as I liked the fact that it is a small LCD and blue backlight (not a bad match for the Golf). I wanted mine directly in front of me so that I don't need to take my eyes off of the road to monitor the boost level.

Paul
That looks pretty cool I have to say. Have you had any problems with it at all? Did it take long to come from ythe US?

Russ

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The cheapest and esiest way to cure this is indeed by fitting an old style fuel filter in the boost line as close to the gauge as possible. The filterss are those as fitted to old cars such as Beetle / Mini etc and only cost a few quid.

I've had my gauge on for over 50k with one of these on my higher boosting (compared to a 1.8t) TDI with no problems at all.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The cheapest and esiest way to cure this is indeed by fitting an old style fuel filter in the boost line as close to the gauge as possible. The filterss are those as fitted to old cars such as Beetle / Mini etc and only cost a few quid.

I've had my gauge on for over 50k with one of these on my higher boosting (compared to a 1.8t) TDI with no problems at all.
Where's the best place to get one from and what shall I ask for.

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Something along these lines maybe ?

No pun intended [:p]
I have a couple of local motor factors down the road from where I work so may pop in at lunch time and see what universal filters they have. Did not know if I need a specific one for a specific car to fit properly or if any universal one will do....??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.