Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading lots..... and i mean lots, of posts on boost controllers for the vag engines from all over the tinternet.

Now from what i understand from the sites ive read the golf 1.8t will boost up to 14psi before going into limp mode - increase to 12-14psi should see around 185bhp

This therefore means that the 1.8ts ecu will sort out fuelling and timing issues up to the 14.5psi max boost pressure the ecu is designed for.
Anything over this may cause under fuelling but im sure this could be tweeked with lemmiwinks.... (i think! [:p])

Obviously if your wanting 200bhp+ a boost controller is not the way to go but if your happy with a modest increase.... go for it!

I think there is alot of scaremongering as regards the cheap bhp increase's boost controllers do offer for those on a budget.... (its in companys interests to sell you their product, and those who have already shelled out lots of ? to gain lots of bhp to tell you how good a remap is)

There is very little information as regards boost controllers on UKMVIS and most people on here a little biased towards boost controllers but if you where to search many of the other vag 1.8t sites there is lots and lots of info out there.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/boostcon.htm (made for the vag 1.8t engine)

http://www.electrodyne.cc/sale/18turbo.shtml

http://www.streamlinemotorsports.com/page7.html intresting read

As i see it if your wanting 180/185bhp from your 150bhp 1.8t and your happy with it then go for a boost controller as they are far cheaper than a remap!

Boost controllers are a damn site easier to take off the car than a remap and you can sell them once you sell your car....can you do this with a remap??

Im going to be trying one in the next month or so weeks and i'll be doing a write up compared to the revo trial remap i had.
Im not expecting my golf 1.8t to be as quick as when it had the remap but lets see if it makes my golf just as fun.
(could do a vid with my 1.8t k03 arz with boost controller vs revo/jabba mapped agu and see how much of a differnec there is out on the road)

Comments on this post would be welcome as ther isnt very much info on here.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, Its very do-able.. But its still a bit of a half hearted attempt at tuning.
For the cost of even the best remap, you are still getting an awful lot of extra oomph for your money. So its kinda rude not to do the job properly.
And yes, the ECU can cater for boost up to 14.7 psi on an otherwise stock engine without throwing a wobbly. But fueling and ignition timing still wont be quite as optimized as it would be if you had a decent remap.
So yeah, but no thanks..

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Its very do-able.. But its still a bit of a half hearted attempt at tuning. For the cost of even the best remap, you are still getting an awful lot of extra oomph for your money. So its kinda rude not to do the job properly. And yes, the ECU can cater for boost up to 14.7 psi on an otherwise stock engine without throwing a wobbly. But fueling and ignition timing still wont be quite as optimized as it would be if you had a decent remap. So yeah, but no thanks..
But you have to admit..... for about ?100 you can have something that wont be that far off a remap on an AGU/ARZ k03 equipped car. You'd only be about 10bhp and maybe 20lbft of torque down on a remap which would cost another ?300.

I think you'd be hard pushed to really tell the difference on a car thats putting out 10bhp less.

The golf would certainly feel ALOT quicker with a boost controller....as to whether the extra 10bhp and 20lbft is worth the extra ?300.... (because thats all you going to get out of an AGU/ARZ as the use the k03 non sport turbo).

Dont forget for us boys with the k03 non-sport turbo (agu/arz) its going to cost an extra ?300/?400 ontop of a ?400 remap to gain the same bhp (210bhp) as the later aum golfs.

so you can either pay ?800 for 210bhp on your agu/arz golf
or
pay ?100 for 185bhp and 200/210lbft

?700 for an extra 25bhp on an AGU/ARZ is alot of cash in anyones books!!

If the remappers were to drop their prices to something more reasonable, say ?150/?200 (inc vat!!) for the earlier golfs then this would be far more reasonable but ?400 in my books is still far too expensive!..... The guy from chipped uk has the right idea, but after reading the first few thread when he joined up it put me off.

If revo is that good value for money when why do they charge ?285 for the software in America ??
and over here in the uk it cost ?470!!
The poor buggers in japan have to pay ?609 for the software.

Its the bloomin same software[:cool:][*-)].... they charge that price because your all willing to pay it!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
www.splitsec.com/products/1.8TBCS.htm

more info...check out the whell bhp and torque graphs compared to the likes of a revo remap

Quoted from an earleir thread on ukmvis

chipped golfs run anywhere from 160-190hp at the wheels depending on the level of other mods, which correlates to 200-230 at the flywheel (suposedly)
There are a few of us around that run over 200 at the wheels. look at www.18turbo.com there are loads of dynos for various setups.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sadly, whilst your theory is correct, in practise, it simply doesnt work out quite so well!

the ECU can indeed maintain factory air/fuel ratios up to 1BAR (14.7psi) but to do this, it relies on readings from the MAF and the lamda sensor.

as you put your foot down, and the MBC restricts the wastegate from opening, the MAF realises more air is being sucked in, and in theory, the car fuels accordingly, the fuelling is adjusted based on readings from the lamda sensor. If either of those sensors go wrong. you're in trouble.

Power-

My agu is revo mapped, I went up against an IDENTICAL car, same CAI, same exhaust, but an mbc running 14psi (same boost) and to be honest, there was nothing in it.

Flat out we were side by side, out of the bends it was dead level. really, no difference.

If anything, I would say my car felt much quicker with the std map and MBC than it did on the revo map.

So in terms of speed, the MBC is awesome.

Now the bad bit.

MBC's can make GREAT power, but, it costs. not in terms of money, but a car running 14psi from an MBC will feel horrible compared to 14psi from a remap.

Part throttle driving is jerky, and backing off gently from flat out can give a VERY violent jerk, boost surging happens a LOT, and seems totally random, motorway cruising, being as careful as possible, seems to see up to 10psi from the tiniest touch of the throttle.

basicly, flat out, the car was VERY fast, but trying to drive to work, in traffic, it was a dog.

Then there is the economy!

With the std map and MBC, i got around 17mpg! when going fast, I saw about 14mpg, it was horrific, and when driving sensibly, i was lucky to ever see over 24mpg, it was simply terrible! and when coupled with the horrible part throttle (normal) driving, it was just stupid.

With the revo map, i see well over 30mpg around town, and as much as 40mpg on a run. the car is smooth, drives perfectly, and although the revo aggressive delivery is not to my liking, comparing it to an MBC is just not fair!

I've experienced MBC's 3 times in 1.8T's personally.

First up a mate in an AGU golf with an MBC, it was SO quick, he said it was awesome, i simply had to have one.

1 weeks later and its fitted, car is super fast, all is great. then i realised how horrid it was to drive normally, called Bill up, and he agreed his was horrible, but said 'i didnt think you would mind, you wanted it faster'

I did mind, it was rank. the MBC went, remap 2 weeks later, didnt look back.

a mate recently bought a 1.8T, and decided he couldnt afford a remap, so despite my comments, he fitted an MBC, and yes, his car was just as quick as my revo'd 1.8T, but just like me, he had all the same problems, and it was even less economical!

So, to sum up, been there, done that, X3, it doesnt really work.

It is quick, but in the same way that a turbo charged 2CV could be quick- its still shit.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Nick: thats a great post mate, very informative and good to hear someone elses experiences. my issue is im impatient, im desperate for performance and saving money takes too long.lol

But... i think you may have convinced me to save.

cheers, James

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would wait if I were you mate, having tried it 3 times on 3 seperate cars, and had the same problem each time, the horrible negatives far outweigh the gains!

·
Registered
650 Posts
must agree with prawn, i had the exact same experience on part throttle and took it off after a few days

but i think some people have had better results when bypassing the N75, i didn't have the bottle to do this as didn't have a boost gauge on

but had good results in other turbo cars i have had when using a bleed valve/MBC (5 of, showing my age[:$])

all the old school R5 turbos, Uno turbos and RS turbos were easily uprated using rather crude by todays standard kits involving a new boost switch that went on the inlet manifold and a bleed valve, giving about 30/40 bhp

·
Registered
596 Posts
well what about a two stage boost controller? Like the one from www.boostvalve.com? Setting one uses the orriginal n75 path and the second setting then uses an mbc?

In theory that gives you the gains of both worlds?

Gilly

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
That sounds sensible works like an on/off switch for the boost controller.

Is there any benifit in having an electronic boost controller such as http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1094&CFID=357239&CFTOKEN=72748099

and having a remap?? So could I have this boost controller then if I dont like the way it performs have a remap combined with it? or would I not see any benefit from this?

cheers, James
Yea see mines is remaped too and im gonna give this a try just to see if i can make it feel a bit more agressive, bit more like a turbo car should feel. But i would be nice to still have a smooth drive option

Gilly

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
cheers Gilly,

the Greddy electronic boost controller allows you to have 2 settings too. so i could set one as more or less standard and another one for high boost. i think it also displays boost figures so I dont think you need a boost gauge.

there not a bad price from what i remember too, im sure i've seen them about for ?145-?150. I might get one to play with untill get a remap.

James.

·
Registered
596 Posts
cheers Gilly,

the Greddy electronic boost controller allows you to have 2 settings too. so i could set one as more or less standard and another one for high boost. i think it also displays boost figures so I dont think you need a boost gauge.

there not a bad price from what i remember too, im sure i've seen them about for ?145-?150. I might get one to play with untill get a remap.

James.
yea but the difference with this one is that both settings are controlled by the MBC which means the n75 is by passed all together and i dont know how the car will react to a low setting through an MBC, it may still be crap to drive but with less power.

This is why im going to buy a cheap MBC and play about to see if it is then worth getting a full two stage MBC (like the one above) or one that switches between OEM N75 and high MBC boost.

Has anyone here tried to turn run the car on low boost with an MBC? Hows the drive and the economy?

Gilly

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've run low boost on the mbc, and to be honest, its still pretty lame.

you dont get the jerking associated with high boost mbc, but you still get very random boost surging, and Im certain its still less economical!

Gilly, if you want to make your car feel more like a 'proper' turbo car, the only choice is to ditch the ko3!

I tried the mbc with the remap too to make it feel more aggressive like you want, and it didnt really work at all. if anything the car felt worse!

reason being, the remap already takes the little ko3 right to its limit, it simply wont boost any more! adding the mbc changes nothing, and looses fuel economy.

just to clarify most of the testing I did was with the MBC in place of the n75, replacing it totally.

I tried it inline, and it wasnt a lot different!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've run low boost on the mbc, and to be honest, its still pretty lame.

you dont get the jerking associated with high boost mbc, but you still get very random boost surging, and Im certain its still less economical!

Gilly, if you want to make your car feel more like a 'proper' turbo car, the only choice is to ditch the ko3!

I tried the mbc with the remap too to make it feel more aggressive like you want, and it didnt really work at all. if anything the car felt worse!

reason being, the remap already takes the little ko3 right to its limit, it simply wont boost any more! adding the mbc changes nothing, and looses fuel economy.

just to clarify most of the testing I did was with the MBC in place of the n75, replacing it totally.

I tried it inline, and it wasnt a lot different!
Fair enough, i love yoru idea of ditchin the ko3 but i would then have to ditch food, petrol and anything else thaks costs money until i finish college.

Plus i have a feeling the remap i have is as aggressive as the disney channel.

Gilly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts