Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or your thread will get locked.

Heard of brand loyalty but with Beemers, it's brand fundamentalist extremism.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hey that was a good handbag match!

Don't see why it went far enough when the mod's were using bad language and matteeboy wasn't but oh well!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Interesting, it went from a post about the BMW's (I was not overly keen on the styling of some of them) to a debate on Chav / Chav'ivity. Not sure why it was locked, as it seemed to be the world agaisnt Matt just because he said that some of the BMW's on display looked a bit Chav. I have seen a lot of BMW's which are Chav Drug Dealer Cars. So I don't think that any car is exept from the label. a for debating how you can use the term Chav, well I think you can use it how you like, it is a brand new word that has been around only a couple of years, I see no need to pick a fight because it is used in many ways such as Chavmobile, Chav looking etc.

Just my 2p worth before this gets locked as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
***Almost passes out in shock***

Do I have two "supporters?!"

Much appreciated guys!

Was beginning to think I was totally on my own there.

For the record, I thought my R32 was a tiny bit Chavvish with all it's spoilers, fat exhausts, big alloys, etc.

I liked it a lot but sometimes felt just a wee bit daft.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Well I am not taking sides, just stating what I think. I dont want to get into another fight herem, but i see where you are coming from.  Basically some of the BMWs are not your cup of tea, and you thought the R32 could be slightly overstyled.  I agree with both those points in some way.  Perhaps I would not have been so confrontational, but then again, people jumped straight on your back to give you a good bashing so why not fight back.  

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think the issue, or at least how I percieved it, was the use of the word 'Chav' and the fact that it was out of context.

I would say that the pictures at the top of the thread were new BMW's with bodykit's and probably costing ?40k plus - not 'Chav' using it's correct definition. The pics further below of 15 year old knackered BMW's with ludricous whale fins - definitely 'Chavish'.

On a side note, I'm all up for a bit of BMW bashing though, I can't stand the bloody things!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I think the issue, or at least how I percieved it, was the use of the word 'Chav' and the fact that it was out of context.

I would say that the pictures at the top of the thread were new BMW's with bodykit's and probably costing ?40k plus - not 'Chav' using it's correct definition. The pics further below of 15 year old knackered BMW's with ludricous whale fins - definitely 'Chavish'.

On a side note, I'm all up for a bit of BMW bashing though, I can't stand the bloody things!
Out of context?!! LMAO!!!

I'm sorry but I have said this many times and will say it again....chav get's used for any car on here that hasn't got OEM mods and anyone who has any form of clothing on with a name badged across it!

I've got flmaed before now for saying 'thats not chav, stop using it' because I didn't think it was. It's normally when you see a non OEM mod or one that's not acceptable here on the forum, all of a sudden it's chav.

How many times do you see people having a go at chavs on here regardless of whether they are one of us normal people with just a different taste in styling. I remember saying I was going to Donny show up in Doncaster and I got instantly flamed with 'I wouldn't be associated with those chavs etc etc.

The thread was locked because something was aimed at NikB, I have seen it happen many times. There was nothing wrong with the thread and no reason in the slightest for it to be locked.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
BMW Hmmmmm

didn't I see on Top Gear the other night that the 3 series is classed
as the "New Mondeo" therefore "the New Sierra" or "the New Cortina" -
Since the latter is what every rep had on his drive in the early 80's!

They are obviously doing something right...What ... god only knows

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I locked the thread because it had gone so far off topic that it was
now pointless. That and Mat posting to get a rise out of people much
like this thread really.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
will say it again....chav
get's used for any car on here that hasn't got OEM mods
What utter bollocks.

There are people on this forum with almost worrying levels of appreciation for Gary Handas car, which is anything but OEM.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
It's not that at all....just look around the threads, chav this chav that, it's completely overused. If I wore a baseball cap, I would be called a chav, simple as that by many on here.

Matte has not done anything wrong, its you two that seem to be making us rise and then lock the thred when it returns to yourselves.

Suggest you look at the tone you portray in some of the messages.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

Out of context?!! LMAO!!!

I'm sorry but I have said this many times and will say it again....chav get's used for any car on here that hasn't got OEM mods and anyone who has any form of clothing on with a name badged across it!

I've got flmaed before now for saying 'thats not chav, stop using it' because I didn't think it was. It's normally when you see a non OEM mod or one that's not acceptable here on the forum, all of a sudden it's chav.

How many times do you see people having a go at chavs on here regardless of whether they are one of us normal people with just a different taste in styling. I remember saying I was going to Donny show up in Doncaster and I got instantly flamed with 'I wouldn't be associated with those chavs etc etc.

The thread was locked because something was aimed at NikB, I have seen it happen many times. There was nothing wrong with the thread and no reason in the slightest for it to be locked.
Yep, out of context, the word 'Chav' was used to describe a car. 'Chav' is the word used to describe 'a person of working class who wears sports clothing'.

'Chav' is not an adjective and I wish people would stop using it as one.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
So what about 'chavved'

HOW many times has the word chav been used on this forum to describe a car? Must be in the hundreds, so why the sudden change?!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So what about 'chavved'

HOW many times has the word chav been used on this forum to describe a car? Must be in the hundreds, so why the sudden change?!
Don't care about how many times it been used, it's bloody wrong!

'Chavish' I believe is the correct adjective.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
the link to the Beemer thread has been removed and so I cant read
it howver a year a ago I got ALOT of stick for slating BMW on here by
several people, for some reason BMW seem to be sacred and arent allowed
to be critiscised at all, I have a natural aversion to all BMW's

And that isnt just a sweeping statement its based on my opinion and judgement,

Sorry but there common, ok so the 318 is but M3 isnt, wel;l that could
apply to a mondeo st220 aswell, its still too common for the money and
image.

I hate the intrinsic styling, with kidney grills heavy swage lines high boot lines and a heavy overhang at the rear.

I dont see what the crack is about the chassis dynamics, any
comparitive Honda or Peugeot will wipe the floor depsite the FWD
nevermind a decent modern Jaguar.

Anyone who raves about the 330d needs to get there head out the (All
BMW's are great bag) and go and drive the latest Jaguar S-Type V6 Twin
TD, in comparison the BMW is rubbish and feels as big as a 7 series.

The driving position with extremely loow seat may be great for a
6'3 German but is not the best position for an average 5'8 Brit

And as for the Offset pedals ARRRGGGHHH the only car that has a worse problem than this is a citroen saxo.

Sorry but I am another one that is not BMW blind, if you most be
a badge snob or have big exec car go and get a Jaguar or Audi or if
your not a badge snob get a Honda

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Matte has not done anything wrong, its you two that seem to be
making us rise and then lock the thred when it returns to
yourselves.Suggest you look at the tone you portray in some of the
messages.
Not noticed I quit being a moderator about two weeks ago then!

I'm not arguing the word chav is over used, have to agree...just this 'OEM or nothing'
belief some people have about this forum which is blatantly not true. Euro styling is
huge here and anything but OEM, but everything can be executed very
well or pi$$ poor.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts