Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weeks Autocar, they have briefly tested a DMS chipped BMW 535D

Standard 535D (6Cylinder 3.0l twin turbo)

272Bhp

413Lbs

0-60 6 sec

0-100 15 sec

Chipped DMS 535D

321BHP

478LBs

0-60 5.5 Sec

0-100 13.5 Sec (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

50-70 3.0 sec (!!!!!!!!!!!)

If I ever meet one of these on the road, I hope it's raining! [:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would think it must be pretty amazing in standard form, let alone chipped [!]

I hope to bag a ride in a std one soon, i am sure i will be shocked with that. I love the E60 and i think the 535D should be a great selling point for it.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
It's silly

It's a diesel.

It's an old farts car.

I want one!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
if they put that engine in a 3 series (or rather 4 series coupe) then I could break an oath of mine and by another BMW. I swore that Id never have another one after a problematic E34 5 Series.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I happen to have driven a standard 535d sport on a 160mile round trip.

Firstly I'm wasn't a great fan of diesel motors. But these things absolutely fly and it doesn't even sound like a diesel. It flies & virtually sounds like a V8 petrol.

Needless to say they're stunning.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That thing will probably run the V10 M5 pretty close.

If they ever see sense and put a manual in it, I'm there.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think the M-tech boys were 'forced' into sprucing up the M5's performance as a result of the upcoming diesel's performance......

Some say they were "emabarrassed" into it......

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by dc on 17/03/2005 12:22:09

That thing will probably run the V10 M5 pretty close.

If they ever see sense and put a manual in it, I'm there.

AFAIK they haven't got a manual box that'll handle the torque... or is that a smoke screen 'cos it'd be on the M5s tail if it had....[:eek:)]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 17/03/2005 12:56:49

I think the M-tech boys were 'forced' into sprucing up the M5's performance as a result of the upcoming diesel's performance......

Some say they were "emabarrassed" into it......

Where has this information come from? Sounds pretty suspect. Especially as the M5 has, essentialy, a detuned Formula One engine, and that press reports suggest the 500BHP mark has been an ongoing target to beat off competition from the current RS6. The 535D may be (and is) a stunning car, but the M5 is a completely different prospect.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
A little OT, but I missed the oppurtunity to get a drive of the 535D, as my BM friend had it w/end b4 last. He was v.impressed with it. 2nd prize, but i got to drive a '54 330D sport (auto) instead. I was impressed, I am not denying it isn't in a different class & a fair bit faster, but there wasn't the huge gulf in performance that i was expecting between it and my chipped PD130. It was a lot easier to put the power down though, and hardly any noticeable T lag, so power seemed more freely available throughout the rev range.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts