Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a position now where I could swap my TDI130 for a BMW 330D, due to the fact of a healthy pay rise[^]. Should I do it or not as I do 100 miles a day ?

Also what do you think I would get for my TDI 130 on a trade in ? (Wish[:eek:)]) it is a 02 plate with 31k on the clock in silver 3dr

Your opinions please before the misses catches me typing [B)]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The 330s engines are supposed to be great

But I had a 318ci and hated the following;

- the driving position - pedals offset way to the right, made my back ache on long journeys

- throttle response (DBW) was shocking - kangarood down the road and I never got the hang of it

I loved;

- the handling - RWD is excellent

- the refinement and build quality - second to none

- the image - when you tell people "ive got a BMW" they seem to see you in a different light. Sad but true

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
ARE YOU MAD! Come on guys I know the Golf is great, but a 330D has possibly the best all round BMW engine available today. 3 litre straight 6, 230BHP (ish!) and all combined with an interior that feels like it was carved from a solid block. Plus the 330D has the 18"s and often the Sport kit to make it look far more special than a dull 318 Saloon....

Ive not driven a 330D but the 530d is said to be a better car than the 530i, and having chased the former in the latter I have to concur- we were even in all respects, except he was getting 50MPG....

If you forget its Mikedav talking Id still do it; its a great car.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I love the current 3-series, particularly the coupes... id definately be tempted.. especially with that engine. Barely sound like a diesel!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too tempting, I test drove it and yes the pedals feel funny but the torque was fantastic, the model I'm looking at is the 330DSE with the sports pack and 18'' MV alloys in red the temptation is just too much it sounded like a normal car but went like well you know!. The only thing is how much they offer me for mine as I love my golf and would not want to let it go too cheaply as it is my pride and joy, but I feel as though I moving towards the BMW help meeeeeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you are looking at a new one , they are upping the power to I think 218bhp and also bringing out a 330d coupe. I had a 330ci sport a couple of months ago and thought it was a nice car bar a few rattles but covered under warranty.

If I could have changed anything, I would have changed the badge to maybe a Skoda or something...... seriously!!!!

The arrogance I believe is in that badge, shame cus it's a nice car.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
A generalisation it may be.. but i tend to find that the 320 and upwards drivers are okay. It seems to be the 318 drivers inparticular who always have something to prove to you.

Speaking of which, i seen the youngest guy ever driving a black M5 today..... i swear he wasnt a day older than 24! [:(]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The Golf and the 330D Sport were the two cars I seriously considered when leaving behind 14 years of company cars 18 months ago when the tax rules changed.

I got lucky with my Golf as it was a fully-loaded nearly-new bargain. It would have cost me an extra £10k to get near-equivalent spec in the 330D. I bought my own diesel to save money, although joining this forum sort of cancelled that out.[:I] On reflection, although I have a lesser car than the BM, I am just as happy (and proud) to have the Golf. Imminent family commitments may tip me towards a 330D Sport Touring when I next replace though. Mind you, with what I have learned playing with this car, whatever I spec will have more aftermarket bits than factory options (Hartge Classic rims on a 330D I fear).

I think NikB is right - the engne has been produced with c192bhp but the latest generation now has 218bhp. However, chipping liberates stupid amounts of power/torque and my friend with a 530D Sport gets 45mpg chipped as opposed to 42mpg before, plus lots of fishtailing out of roundabouts.[:eek:)] He is also lucky enough to have a Ferrari 348tb and in real world driving conditions the diesel could keep up. Our trip back from Le Mans in the 'rari dicing with Ruf Porsches and Ultima GTR's was another matter........

Nick - my two pence - if you are still happy with the car don't rush a decision as there are always plenty of cars available. If you are sure you will not regret the decision then spend the extra and be happy with a great car.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had a 325 TDS and is was amazing

I used a 330d sport for a few weeks before buying the golf.

Im gonna sell the golf next year and get the 330d sport

I just feel it will last longer than the golf. Mine 325tds had 180K on the clock

and never failed me.

I cant see the pd150 with REVO doing the same ....

The beemer was still running the same turbo unit as well.

And people going on and on about bmw drivers hacks me off....

Its just so boring.....

Yeah there is alot of t**sers out there, but in any car really

Get over guys

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Go for it, mine's not a 330 but when I want a rewarding drive I'll get in the BMW not the Golf....

....and you do get your own lane on the motorway!![;)]

From a pragmatic point of view:

- They go like stink and are just awesome with a chip

- Built from solid stuff

- So much fun to drive, it'll always put a smile on your face

- I took mine to the Alps and got out after 8 hours without any aches or pains

Go on, you know you want to![8D]

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here's my whip:

Posted Image

It's a 320d Sport. 150bhp and 230lb/ft. I've covered 22K since September in it and as a compromise between high-speed relaxed cruising and economy, and having a little fun, it's more or less spot on.

Average MPG has been 44 over the entire duration, with it dipping to 39 if I really boot it and rising to 49 if I set the cruise control at 80-85 on a Motorway run.

Upsides: Looks (OK, a few very subtle mods helped - 3 in the picture, can you spot them?), build quality, interior, handling, economy and refinement.

Downsides: slightly noisy when crawling (although you can't tell it's a diesel over 50mph), boot could be a tad bigger...and that's about it. Being a Sport it has sports suspension and ridiculously oversized rear tyres (255/35/18s!!) so it is going to crash a bit and the tyre noise can get obtrusive on certain road surfaces, but the handling and confidence they inspire more than makes up for it.

Would I get another one? Without a shadow of a doubt. Although the 535d is just round the corner...TWIN Turbo 3.5 straight 6. 286bhp and 400lbs/ft out of the box...6.1 0-60 and 155 (limited) top end. Now THAT is going to be Monster!

Nick, it's a no-brainer if you're thinking with your heart. If you're thinking with your head though, get a 320d Sport Coupe and chip it!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Go for the Beemer mate!, the 330d IMO is an awesome car with probably the best engine of any car i've driven to date ( mate's 450BHP Cossie 4x4 excepted [;)]), i think that even the most die-hard petrol head would agree that the engine is amazing and the fact that it's a diesel detracts nothing from it,

Due to needing the economy of a diesel car - and rather liking the easy going torquey nature of a diesel engine, my next car in about 12 months time was a choice between an Audi A4 2.5V6 TDI, and the BMW 330d,

I was lucky enough to persuade my father in law to get hold of an A4 from work as he is a fleet manager, even though it was the avant version, it went like stink, made a lovely V6 'woofle' and really impressed me, it then became the car i wanted and my benchmark to compare any others,

That lasted a week until i test drove a 330d from Williams in Mcr, wow! better handling, looks, engine, interior and more importantly it just felt more 'special' [:D]

This WILL be my next car, go get it you lucky, lucky man!!![^]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts