Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I would much rather have a 330Ci coupe or 330i saloon, but in the right colour with good wheels and that bodykit the Compact can look pretty decent.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I can afford a 330ci but have seen a few nice 325ci's (Sport).....192BHP, they aren't that bad are they?

I don't really like the Compact, just wanted other peoples opinion of them.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Nope, nothing wrong with the 325i, still a nice straight six with plenty of power. Its just the 3.0 engine is so damn good that its hard to resist, especially as prices are beggining to fall - 330Cis start at about ?14k now, saloons even less. The 330i is bloody quick and a joy to drive...

IMO the 325i is very good - the 330i is excellent.

Whats your budget? One thing I have noticed is BMWs can handle age / miles far FAR better than any MKIV, you will be suprised. So dont for example be put of a 330 with 40k on the clock in preference for a 325i with 20k on the clock - on a MKIV that would make a real difference but on an E46, far less so.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Meh...325 Vs 330 the power difference isn't THAT much. Yeh, it'd be nice to have a 330 over the 325 but it's not going to feel slow in comparison.

Wouldn't touch a compact with yours though Sem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dont write these off fella's - they are a VERY good little car! I had a black 325ti with Yellow leather for a while, it had 18" AC Scnitzer Type 2 alloys, full kit, and all the toys - and it had 300 miles on it when I had it - it was a great car!

Drive wise the power delivery was very refined, didnt feel massivly quick until you looked in the rear view and the speedo - its that solid it carries speed with massive ease. Mine had sports seats, full leather and loads of other toys and I was sad to part with it to be honest, did have it long as it was a loaner. It sold a week later for ?27k!!!

Handling was good, and all in all a very good car - and not that many of them around, its different. Compared to the Merc small glassback coupe its a far better buy.

RWD fun in a hatchback with a glorious BMW straight 6 - get the right spec and your laughing!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree with Mikedav, I'd go for saloon/coupe; I've never really liked the compact shape/looks. 325i has a good engine but needs some revs to really get it going..it will feel flat <3000rpm compared to TDI. Top end performance very good though. 330i sounds even better than 325i imo. A mate runs a 2001/Y 330i Sport with 72K miles; looks like it's 6 months old inside. The Coupes look better than saloon but are overpriced imo. You should find a nice 330iSE sal with @40K for @?14K(private) or ?15K(dealer). Having said that, there are alot more used 325is to choose from.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 14/08/2004 17:08:40.....dont for example be put of a 330 with 40k on the clock in preference for a 325i with 20k on the clock - on a MKIV that would make a real difference but on an E46, far less so.

I bought mine 18 months old with 53k on and it felt - even smelled like a new car. Don't be worried about miles on a BMW, do look out for pre-Sept 2001 cars which haven't had the front wishbones done - it's a recognised fault that the balljoints are poor on the early cars.

I've never gone for the looks of the compact, it's always been a 'marketeer on a budget' answer to a hatchback 3 series, stumpy and un-finished....? (don't mean to offend just my 2p)

IMHO The coupe would give a far better driving experience and if you need space then a touring would hold it's value far better. The engine choice would be next, 325, 328, 330 are all good if I was going for a petrol.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 16/08/2004 13:45:45

I bought mine 18 months old with 53k on and it felt - even smelled like a new car. Don't be worried about miles on a BMW,

Have to agree. My Dad put 39,000 miles on his 530 Sport in one year and it was still 'new'; I test drove a 2001 330Ci that felt newer than my 27,000 mile 2002 Borar and looked down to see the oddometer was reading 76,000 miles! Definetly one of the best makes for taking mileage, only thing that seems to show obvious signs of wear is the leather

·
Registered
586 Posts
I suggested this car to Chris when he was asking about replacing his GTI. My friend has one of these and they are very nice cars indeed. He's got the 325i. In standard I find them quite boring in looks, but in silver with the full body kit and large alloys, it does look rather nice [:)] Not a lot of people seem to like them as BMW's are usually associated with saloons, but I think its a heck of a lot better than the old compacts that DID look like the saloon 3 series just with its tail chopped off. With the new version, they have at least tried to give it its own identity just like VW made the Boras have its own over the Golf.

Milkfloat, Astra rear end? Hahaha, not as bad as the Mercedes Coupe Daewoo rear end.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I like them and they are pretty damn quick.

330s may be more desirable to most but they are VERY common and only look a bit classy with a load fd M kit and all the toys.

Why not be a bit different and have a damn fast hatch that won't ever break down?![^]

Tom - Is there any car you HAVEN'T owned?!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 18/08/2004 19:51:53

Tom - Is there any car you HAVEN'T owned?!!

Didnt own this one mate - was a loaner. I have had 23 cars since I was 17, I am 27 next month - veriety is the spice of life mate, and I can safely comment on most brands and I know whats good and what isnt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
variety is the spice of life- def agree with that!

Met a chinese girl last week,.. it was amazing. :)

i personally think the shapes ugly, back and front. does have nice qualities apart from the looks. def agree with a few of u saying u have to rev it quite hard to get anywhere. 330Ci is another story!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts