Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
It's a sequential turbo so you don't get much lag. One smaller tubo spools up a larger turbo which results in big power with out much lag. Never driven a car with this engine but I bet it's great. The 5 series with that engine is limited to 155mph, a 1 series with that engine without a limiter would do some crazy speed.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Still looks like a van.

The price of the thing will be interesting too, no doubt with BMW pricing it will probably only compete with something else within it's range. Be interesting to see how it compares to the Z4 coupe.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
That is a beaut of a car i like the 3 door costume aswell.. and that car is going to be seriously tunable.. as it comes out the factory with 300+ bhp.. me thinks this will sell better than the new M3 as im 99% sure that the new M3 engine is going to be the old M5 engine 400bhp. but the 1 series will probs be lighter and have more tunabilty than a n/a engine..so may be more desirable to the bmw nuts..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mikedav, have I dreamed it or did I read somewhere that you are about to atke delivery of an E46 M3????

And if so, have you got it yet and what do you think...
Pick it up Monday [:)] Im sure Ill post pics!

Having said that, just went to look at a 335i Coupe. Bloody Lovely...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have to say that, much as the M3 has always been my dream car, the roads we drive on and the world we live in mean that I'd probably stick to the 335d E92 if I was in a position to choose. I find my E90 330d an ideal car for getting from A to B quickly and relatively discretely - without too much effort and with sensible fuel costs....

Also looked at 335i over weekend - planning for when kids leave home and I can doiwngrade house!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I hated it, but now its starting to grow on me. The only bangle cars I don't like are the 7 and 6 series, but I do think they are all colour sensitive, I do like the new 3 series in silver or the 1 in black.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Mikedav, have I dreamed it or did I read somewhere that you are about to atke delivery of an E46 M3????

And if so, have you got it yet and what do you think...
Pick it up Monday [:)] Im sure Ill post pics!

Having said that, just went to look at a 335i Coupe. Bloody Lovely...
Lol! Find that slightly amusing after our last little debate [:p]

Nice one though mate [y]. Enjoy [:D]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Regardless of it being a wonderful car in virtually every area, am I the only one that still thinks it looks like poo?
I agree in a sense. I'm a fan of BMW's - used to have a 328i sport but I've never liked any BM hatchbacks. I hated the 3 series compact and I can't say I love the 1. It just doesn't look like a BMW to me, probably because it hasn't got a saloon boot.

On the other hand, I had a 116i for a hire car the other week and despite being a bit underpowered, it was surprisingly good fun on the twisty bits! [:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts