Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

BMW 130i

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  jonnyboy 
#1 ·
258BHP but still ugly!

www.mwerks.com

Posted Image

BMW Great Britain is pleased to announce the introduction of the BMW 130i ? a car powered by the world?s lightest six-cylinder petrol engine. First seen on the BMW 630i and the BMW 330i, the new car boasts 258bhp and 300Nm of torque to deliver class leading performance figures.

The aluminum and magnesium alloy 3.0-liter straight-six gasoline engine powers the BMW 130i from zero to 62mph in 6.2 seconds and on to a top speed of 155mph. These figures better rivals such as the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, Audi A3 3.2 V6 Sport Quattro Sportback and the Mercedes C320 SE Sports Coup?. Such high levels of performance aligned with the near perfect 50:50 weight distribution have also resulted in the BMW 130i lapping the challenging Northern Loop of the N?rburgring in an impressive 8 minutes 35 seconds. All this and the car still posts a respectable fuel consumption figure on the combined cycle of 31.4mpg (imp).

Jim O?Donnell, Managing Director of BMW (GB) Ltd, said: ?The 1 Series has proved a real hit in a market where a rear-wheel-drive car is unique and the arrival of the 130i promises to shake things up further. Some have already referred to the model as a baby ?M? car ? something that is not surprising given it can lap the N?rburgring in a time that wouldn?t disgrace an M3.?

Posted Image

The commendable figures are due in part to the VANOS and VALVETRONIC valve opening and valve lift control mechanisms that ensure optimum combustion and engine breathing at all times. An electrically driven water pump also cuts down on internal engine friction and improves efficiency. Power is transmitted to the road via a standard six-speed manual gearbox feeding power to the rear wheels.

Several key styling features mark the BMW 130i out from the four-cylinder-powered models already on sale. The new car receives chrome kidney grille slats, features 17-inch alloy wheels and displays large twin chrome exhaust pipes at the rear. These are more than a styling enhancement though, as the last section of the exhaust system also plays an important role in the performance of the car thanks to a valve in the rear section opening and closing depending on throttle input. At rest and slower speeds the valve is closed for better emissions, while at higher speeds it is opened fully for improved engine breathing and a more satisfying aural note.

Standard interior trim for the 130i includes Sports seats, leather steering wheel, BMW Business radio with single CD player and six airbags. Customers will also be able to specify BMW?s innovative and award-winning Active Steering system that ensures the optimum steering ratio at any speed.

An unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show in March heralds the first public appearance of the 130i before it goes on sale in the UK in Autumn 2005. Prices will be announced at a later date.

See less See more
#10 ·
Love BMW's spent loads a money on them BUT I think the one series is pig ugly.....sorry no amount of driving dynamics will convince me to buy that monster. That fine balance between driving dynamics and delicious design has been lost big time.

But hey I think the E46 was a gorgeous car and hence the next iteration of the 3er looks like my money will be going elsewhere. Its their new design paradigm[:(].

Sort the styling out BM and more money will follow[;)]

#12 ·
Quote: posted by Doc on 09/02/2005 17:55:00

But hey I think the E46 was a gorgeous car and hence the next iteration of the 3er looks like my money will be going elsewhere. Its their new design paradigm[:(].

I was at BMW GB today and they have a new E90 3er in black sitting out front. E46 production ended in January and this launches in March. I was amazed because I actually liked it...admitedly it was black and had good (big) wheels, but it looks soooo much better than in the press photos. I also noticed BMW GB spec all their 5ers with the full M5 bodykit and 19"s, which transforms it from a real pig to a pretty damn nice looking car. Before I saw this little colection I despised BMWs new 5, but with the Sport package, right colour and good wheels I really liked it.

The 1 looks to be beyond hope though [:(]

#14 ·
I wasn't going to say it but I think that 258bhp & rwd means 'bye bye GTi......'

Interesting how many have said it's too expensive when prices haven't been announced. Let's have a closer look at comparable models shall we.....

120d SE 5 dr - ?20,800

A3 2.0 TDi 5 dr - ?20,300

Now, I will say that I think ?20k for a 5 door hatch is ridiculous! so to me they're all expensive. But I do think that other mfrs have already started copying design aspects of these cars, give it a couple of years and they'll be many design wanna-bes. Mike's already mentioned how good the 5 series Sport looks, not so long ago many were saying how disgusting it was and they'd never have one - mention a 535d Sport and watch them start dribbling...

The problem BMW has is that the E46 is so good that the E90 doesn't appear to be a tangible step forward - better yes, but not massively like the difference from the E30-E46 - similar to VW and the MkIV - MkV change, better but not the huge change like the MkIII - MkIV. Remember too how many folk derided the Impreza when that came out - I think 'bashed with the ugly stick' was a phrase used then too....

I've said it many times on here, I like the 1 series, I don't particularly like the MkV, too tall and strangely bloated without any real design elements to it, evolution can work well sometimes, not for the MkV in my view - look at the GTi how many times have telephone dial wheels been done?

[/2p]

#18 ·
Do you remember the spoof ad they showed on TG when reviewing the 1-series. Showed a steaming t*rd with a BMW badge on an the strap line 'no matter what we put our badge on, you'll still buy it....'

In a way they're right - it will sell because it's a BMW, in spite of the design.....

I've never said it was pretty - I like it because it's different, because it offers a true dynamic performance alternative to all the bland euro-hatches with performance aspirations and because if it's half as good as my E46 it'll be massively better than my MkIV.......

#19 ·
But if you want dynamic performance why go for the the hatch, why not stick with a normal saloon/coupe RWD car. (How the likes of a FWD GTI, Clio Sport 182 etc don't have 'dynamic performance' is beyond me [:p])

The 1 series sacrifices everything that the hatch market demands - space in the back, space in the boot, price (+quality at price point, the A3 cabin is a VASTLY better place to be); and as virtually everyone has said the looks are nothing to write home about. So your left with a 20-25k+ RWD car. 330Ci/M Coupe/350Z anyone? [:)]

#20 ·
Very well put, I have got the normal rwd car too (and that's a BMW...) - I want the practicality of a hatch with the dynamics of a rwd car. It's all a pipe dream for me anyway as I won't be able to afford one 'til the s/h value comes into my budget.

You're quite right about the compromises of the rwd layout - I'm happy to put up with that for the fun factor and I don't think my wife would go for the coupe option until the kids are big enough to get in and out themselves (and to do it w/o boosters etc.)

I'm a badge snob as well as a sports car fan so, good as it is the Nissan is out, I s'pose a 330 would be a better option than waiting for a 120d to become affordable....[:D]

#21 ·
Quote: posted by Richard W on 10/02/2005 08:47:23

I wasn't going to say it but I think that 258bhp & rwd means 'bye bye GTi......'

Interesting how many have said it's too expensive when prices haven't been announced. Let's have a closer look at comparable models shall we.....

120d SE 5 dr - ?20,800

A3 2.0 TDi 5 dr - ?20,300

Now, I will say that I think ?20k for a 5 door hatch is ridiculous! so to me they're all expensive. But I do think that other mfrs have already started copying design aspects of these cars, give it a couple of years and they'll be many design wanna-bes. Mike's already mentioned how good the 5 series Sport looks, not so long ago many were saying how disgusting it was and they'd never have one - mention a 535d Sport and watch them start dribbling...

The problem BMW has is that the E46 is so good that the E90 doesn't appear to be a tangible step forward - better yes, but not massively like the difference from the E30-E46 - similar to VW and the MkIV - MkV change, better but not the huge change like the MkIII - MkIV. Remember too how many folk derided the Impreza when that came out - I think 'bashed with the ugly stick' was a phrase used then too....

I've said it many times on here, I like the 1 series, I don't particularly like the MkV, too tall and strangely bloated without any real design elements to it, evolution can work well sometimes, not for the MkV in my view - look at the GTi how many times have telephone dial wheels been done?

[/2p]

You are obviously right, it is far too early to judge the car as the price hasnt been confirmed. What I meant was that the 120 petrol (and diesel) is about ?20k, and is underpowered for the price. A 130i will no doubt be a fair bit more expensive - a 330 is about ?4k more expensive than a 320 (diesel or petrol). For a car that can't comfortably seat four adults and has little practicatlity, it is hard to see what this car does for the money. If you like the design etc however, then it could well be the car for you. There is no doubt in my mind that both the 3 and 5 series are far superior all-round cars than the 1 and I would happily have either (once I reach 30+ [;)]). If I want a car for pure driving fun and little else, I probably wouldn't buy the GTI , I would get a nice 2 seater.

#22 ·
Quote: posted by Mo on 09/02/2005 19:44:28

Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 09/02/2005 17:41:58

Quote: posted by 4pot on 09/02/2005 06:34:10

Yeh that's not a good looking car.

LOL that's so true!

Can anyone find a pic of that car and post it up?

Posted Image

Chugaboom

ha ha

Nice one Mo [:D]

#26 ·
Quote: posted by Uzi9 on 10/02/2005 18:46:12

...What I meant was that the 120 petrol (and diesel) is about ?20k, and is underpowered for the price...

Sorry I don't mean to pick on your posts specifically, I think they're all expensive - after all ?20k for a hatchback...![B)]

But to be totally realistic 'cos I see a lot of criticism about the 1 series and apart from being ugly and small and... (you know![:eek:)]) if we take a like for like as: A3 premium brand 5 dr hatch v. 1 series premium brand 5 dr hatch I don't think they're expensive (tdi prices within ?500) or underpowered...

Power:

A3 3.2 V6 - 247bhp

130i - 258bhp

A3 2.0 FSi - 148bhp

120i - 150bhp

A3 2.0 TDi - 138bhp

120d - 163bhp

So we see - it's not underpowered, it's not that expensive either and yes after the comments pointed out the value in other choices, I'd probably go for another 3 series after all...[:I]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.