Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are peoples views on these?

I hate the look of them - but I got to drive a 120d sport yesterday and I have to say they are great great cars to drive.

They feel perfect, the 120d is very quick.

Bleedin expensive though [W]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm also tempted with the baby Beemer but the price for 120d Sport is hugely expensive once I've added little options! Rather put my cash and get a s/h 204BHP 330d Touring.

I've only sat in one and the exterior styling is gradually growing on me, esp the front but the rear 3/4 view is still a bit challenging to my eyes. I haven't seen many on the roads - I see more A3 Sportbacks though. The rear space is on the tight side but that doesn't bother me that much.

Not a bad car just a bit pricey.....gonna book a test drive anyway and compare with my dad's 320td compact.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have an A3 TDI and the 120's steering, handling and general feel is way better.

But the A3 is much nicer to look IMO at and a fair bit cheaper

Looking at BMW's website, there is a nice 120d sport with bodykit and nice alloys, all the toys and its up for ?24k [N][N][N][N] madness!!!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
They're all getting too expensive - A3/Golf/1 series all have the range toppers at ?20k + For my money like the comment made already I'd rather have a cheaper s/h car of similar capability such as a 320d or 330d - funny that as I've just bought one[;)]

From a looks perspective the 1 is definitely marmite - love it or hate it.... I like it.

Handling the 1 has to be best in class - unless there's any other RWD hatchbacks around...?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The 1 series was a car i was really lookinh forward to seeing, Because the concept pictures were so good,

But when it was revealled i thought oooh no mrs, bit of a minger. [N]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a 120d Sport on demo and can conclude that the looks did nothing for me, the drive was first rate, the price was ridiculous and the space was appalling. But I have to agree that the list prices of these cars with extras is generallt getting silly - my monthly lease allowance at work will just get me a Golf GTi with 18s, leather, parking sensors, and metallic. It won't quite run to a 320d SE with leather and metallic. I can have an absolutely loaded Volvo though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have to say that the V70 D5 in SE trim sounds appealing - especially now they do it in Euro 4 spec to keep my tax down, and there is rumoured to be a 185bhp version.......

Luxury, leather, space and power - and I am an accountant with two dogs, and the wrong side of 40. Must be the one to have....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Faced with a similar dilemma and got the Astra Estate 1.9CDTi Design.

17" alloys with 225/45 tyres, lowered, "sports" mode (it will honesrly outhandle almost any of it's competition), 1/2 leather seats. auto lights, wipers, dimming mirror, ESP, electric everything, powerful motor (148bhp and 232ftlbs), properly made, Euro4, great brakes, and it genuinely looks nice.

You have to leave "status" at home but for under ?16k (over ?3k off list) and 0% on 60% of it, I simply don't care!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have to say that the V70 D5 in SE trim sounds appealing - especially now they do it in Euro 4 spec to keep my tax down, and there is rumoured to be a 185bhp version.......

Luxury, leather, space and power - and I am an accountant with two dogs, and the wrong side of 40. Must be the one to have....
I'm an 33 year old accountant with 2 cats so it must be an accountant thing [8-|]

The D5 will be 185bhp soon - its a very nice engine already at 163bhp

The S60/V70 have amazing stereos and armchair like seats - what else do you need??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Street cred? good handling??

I do 50k miles a year - but I'm tight fisted when it comes to giving the government money! I want a great drive, fantastic performance, loaded with goodies, space for 4 and luggage, cheap on car`tax, and cheap to lease.....

Not too much to ask, is it???

PS 33 - just setting out on lifes great adventure....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Street cred?

good handling??
Street cred - what do you want that for? Anyway, Volvos are cool.........

Good handling - I cant argue - the S60 grips well but its nowhere near being a sporty drive!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Street cred?

good handling??
Street cred - what do you want that for? Anyway, Volvos are cool.........

Good handling - I cant argue - the S60 grips well but its nowhere near being a sporty drive!
Well, when you reach 40, have two kids and don't have a two seater sports car or two in your fleet, street cred might matter to you...!

And 40 miles of my daily commute are cross country - so i want sporty for the first bit, then comfy for secong half of journey!

Ian

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They are doing a offer over here on the 1 series..

?600 deposit...

36 monthly payments of ?199

Final payment - or hand it back.

With free servicing too[:O]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I swopped the 150 for a 120d in March and there is no way you will get me back into a VW.

The 1'er is a fantastic car in all respects and, guess what, NO interior rattles either![:D]

And the looks do grow on you, trust me.[;)]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts