Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email today which reminded that I really should invest in a handsfree kit for the car.

I've decided to get a bluetooth kit just in case I change my phone but which one to choose is a minefield, with every manufacturer touting their own as the best. So it's over to you for your suggestions - tried and tested or otherwise!

My own thoughts are the Parrot CK3100 - it's a tad under ?90, has a decent display screen, compatible with 5 phones and looks a doddle to install.

3 points, ?60 and the book thrown at you in a large way if you cause an accident while on your mobile is more than reason enough to get a kit.

Perhaps if there is enough interest from this thread and we find and agreed on a good quality kit we could approach a manufacturer for a group buy?

Thanks, El

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Parrot is a nice bit of kit. The next one up,think it's the 3200 has a colour display and is about ?125. Think it's another ?100 to have it fitted.

Could be interested in a group buy but would need it fitted as I wouldn't do it myself and I live in Swansea area.

·
Registered
530 Posts
a cheaper alternative would be the Nokia CK7W.

It doesn't have a screen but im quite happy with mine and is very reliable (well so far lol)

You can get it for around ?70

cheers

Noel

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
I've had better results using the Parrot kits than the Nokias,where users normally complain of feedback,or very bad echo,no matter how much you play around with positioning the speaker and microphone.I've never had this problem with any Parrot kit I've ever fitted,and the bonus with the Parrot is that they come with an ISO mute kit already fitted,making them almost totally plug 'n play in a Mk.4 Golf,that ?100 fee for fitting one is outrageous,it shouldn't take more than an hour at the most to fit.

Chris.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In my last car, I had the Nokia CK-7W kit and it was hard for people to hear me when I was on the motorway as the road noise from the car made the quaility of audio quite bad. [:mad:]. I suppose it would'nt be too bad if you were on back roads or round town though........

This car, I've gone for a Nokia BH-900 bluetooth headset with noise cancelling and now I they can hear me much better. The background noise gets cancelled out with the use of DSP I believe [:)] and it's 100% times better on the motorway to use.

Hope this helps u choose - I have heard the Parrot kits are the muts nuts just didn't want to spend the money [:D]

·
Registered
368 Posts
yipp the Parrot kits have to be the best around. The 3200 is probably the best buy at around ?120 and is plug and play - only issue being the fact that there is 2 rather large units to hide away.

Probably best dropping the glovebox out the car and hide the units behind that.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Chris, I've been meaning to get a parrot kit but I'm not keen on the displays so would probably go for the one without. Have you got any experience of the performance of the various models?

Also does the voice activation work via the phone or via the kit? Reason I ask is my Nokia N73 has done away with the recordable name tags and uses a voice synthesiser that reads the name out. But it doesn't sound much like it's supposed to and invariably dials the wrong number.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
I've been fitting Parrot kits since they first came out,and not had one single problem them.Although Nokia are very good,they aren't perfect,and last time I used them,they still couldn't sort out the echo and feedback problems on SOME phones,but that was some time ago,and maybe they've solved it by now.
I've only ever fitted the CK3100 and one 3200,but I only spend about five minutes in the car to make sure the customers phone gets paired with it,and will make and receive calls ok.
I always ask my customers to let me know how they get on with their new equipment,so I can pass on any good or bad feedback,but sadly they never do,so I'm afraid I can't tell you how good or bad the other features are.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Another vote for Parrot here - we've got one and paid the extra to have the MFSW interface. The unit is completely hidden in the ashtray and looks completely factory fit. The only issue we've had was a reluctance to pair with the phones - cured by clearing the memory and starting again.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Bit of a coincidence, I was thinking the same today too after a bus driver of all people got caught on the phone with a bus full of kids in Ipswich where I live.

If you are wanting to do a group buy I would be very interested.

Those of you who have Parrot kits, can you supply photos of your install so I can see where is best for the screen?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I received an email today which reminded that I really should invest in a handsfree kit for the car.

I've decided to get a bluetooth kit just in case I change my phone but which one to choose is a minefield, with every manufacturer touting their own as the best. So it's over to you for your suggestions - tried and tested or otherwise!

My own thoughts are the Parrot CK3100 - it's a tad under ?90, has a decent display screen, compatible with 5 phones and looks a doddle to install.

3 points, ?60 and the book thrown at you in a large way if you cause an accident while on your mobile is more than reason enough to get a kit.

Perhaps if there is enough interest from this thread and we find and agreed on a good quality kit we could approach a manufacturer for a group buy?

Thanks, El
The saying 'you get what you pay for' is VERY true, i had a Nokia 610 bluetooth carkit fitted, it has a two line remote display, a little remote wheel with jog/shuttle type controls, it allows you to view your phone book through the screen (providing your phone supports 'sim access profile') u can read text messages through it and it also channels the audio through the VW Gamma stereo - with automatic full mute :)

It also has 2 profiles (you and the missis) - and the genius is one of the profiles can be set up using an internal simcard... how stealthy is that?!

anyway.. check the nokia website you want anymore details...

Its a truely lovely peice of kit, the best thing i have ever had fitted to my Mk4 golf.. they are a little pricey, but whats the point in having a carkit if the quality is so poor that you end up just using the handset anyway? :p

nokia610 installed

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Once there's an idea of numbers involved,I may be able to sort out a good deal for the group buy of Parrot kits.

Chris.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some good points made here and some really valuable info - like DIY installing it and saving yourself a few ?.

The Parrot does look the business and it's interesting to learn that it also rates pretty high with some of you. It's certainly getting my vote for the moment.

So far Garfie, neathref, and Green n Cream (me) want one. Oh and my boss. Probably not what I would call a group buy but give it time...

Anyone else??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once there's an idea of numbers involved,I may be able to sort out a good deal for the group buy of Parrot kits.

Chris.
Thanks Chris. I just missed you post before my last one! If we can get enough of us then I'm sure everyone here will be very appreciative. I'm not a particularly righteous person but I've now taken the view that these are practically essential if you are on the road for any period of time.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
No problem guys,and the beauty of these kits is I reckon anyone can DIY the install,they're on ISOs so totally plug 'n play.I'll even do a series of how to photos if anyone feels they need it.
The only minus points about these and all other hands free car kits that offer full Bluetooth functionality is that it doesn't charge the phone as there is no cradle,and the reception is not as good if you keep the phone in your pocket,or wherever you choose to keep it.But with all of these kits I've fitted,no one has ever complained about reception problems,and believe me that my customers would win gold medals if complaining was an olympic sport.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Chris, I'd be interested in a group buy too. Do you think it would be one model or could you do a choice?

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Chris, I'd be interested in a group buy too. Do you think it would be one model or could you do a choice?
I normally buy them singly as and when I need them,it really depends on what mood my supplier is in if he would discount on a mix of different models,but I could certainly try.I think it would be more likely with just one particular model though.

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
The only minus points about these and all other hands free car kits that offer full Bluetooth functionality is that it doesn't charge the phone as there is no cradle,

and the reception is not as good if you keep the phone in your pocket,or wherever you choose to keep it.
Just a few quick questions (sorry to hijack!) but:

1. I assume you can buy a seperate cradle that will charge the phone?

2. When you say the reception isn't as good - what are you comparing it to (not as good as without the parrot?) Is the Nokia kit likely to offer better reception?

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Dave,they don't offer a cradle for the Parrot kits,if you want to charge it,you'll have to use a plug in the lighter socket type of lead,it's designed as a universal kit (part of the point of Bluetooth),so the number of cradles they'd have to make would probably be impractical.
With the Nokia kit you can either use it with a cradle that charges the phone and has an inductive coupler to an screen mount aerial that will give you the best reception,or you can use it the same as the Parrot kit with just a small rotary controller somwhere conveniant,but this kit doesn't include an ISO mute kit,so the audio will only be heard through a standard phone extension speaker.
Another of the points of Bluetooth (or what most users like the most about it) is the auto connect feature that means if you get into to your car with one of the five available paired phones,it will switch over to the car kit automatically without you ever having to do anything,and then switch back again when you leave the vehicle,I've never had to use it,but there is some way of setting the kit to prioritise to one master phone if more than one paired device is in the car.
The reception with the phone in your pocket will never be as good as using an aerial at the top of the screen,but I guess that the majority of users think that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts