Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One working day after placing the order with Superchips, my bluefin arrived.

I was not expecting the quality of packaging and physical product that actual arrived. It all looks 'too professional' for a tuning company. Not quite meeting up with a bloke from eBay with a dodgy laptop in a Service Station Car park.

Posted Image

I opened the box and found a CD, Instruction manual, Free Postage Sticker back to Superchips for people without Internet or a PC, A USB cable and of course the Unit itself.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The whole procedure is very simple. Simply plug the unit into the OBD port above the pedals, for me the fitting was tight, far tighter than my VAG-COM cable. Then press Y to say that the ignition is off, turn on the ignition (but not engine) and press Y again. The unit will then read your current Map. This took about 10-15 minutes for me. When it has finished you will turn off the ignition and disconnect the unit.

Posted Image

Next you go to your PC and install the supplied software. Start the software and plug in your blufin to the PC using the supplied USB cable. You then need to fill in your name and contact details and press connect. The unit should then upload the Map from your car to the Superchips server. I had some problems here as although the PC recognised the bluefin was connected to the PC, the supplied software kept thinking that it was not. I will get Superchips to give it a once over when I go down for the Openday See Here When the Map has uploaded you disconnect your unit and wait for a maximum of 8 working hours. I waited about 20 minutes if that. I got a text message and an email telling me that my new map was ready to download.

To do the download from the Superchips servers, I simply started the supplied software again and connected up the bluefin (again I had connection issues). After a couple of attempts the map started to download to the bluefin. Next stage - back to the car and repeat the first procedure to upload the new map on the car. This went without a hitch.

So the big question - what does it drive like?

Well I have not been able to have a really spirited run, but there is a very noticeable difference. There is not quite the on/off blast I had from my MKIV with REVO Stage 2. This map or the combination of the map and the car is a lot smoother - the increase in power is right across the whole power band rather than just a narrow band like on my MKIV. I certainly prefer the feel to this map/car combination - it seems much more refined and usable at any engine speed.

As for the figures - I have no idea yet - I have a pre Map RR result already and will have a post result after the Open Day. It is expected to be at least 197 up to 240 bhp and 280nm up to 334.

Tune in for more later.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds excellent. If you add mods to your car can you download a new map to suit?
Do you have any idea if the hardware will work on a Mac?
Cheers Ross

·
Registered
78 Posts
i got my bluefin after work tonight as it was at the parcel place, just sent off the calibration so just gotta wait till they email me back with a new cal which hopefully will be tomorrow!

i didn't get the red version as it won't match black cars!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds excellent. If you add mods to your car can you download a new map to suit?

Do you have any idea if the hardware will work on a Mac?

Cheers Ross
The benefits of bluefin over a standard system are:

You can get updates from Superchips as and when they become available and as and when you make improvements to your car.

You have switch-ability to revert back to to your standard map.

You have the ability to immobilise the car completely, by removing the map totally.

You are able to read fault codes (DTC's) on the car yourself.

You do not have to visit a Superchips Dealer to do this, you are in control and do not have to travel.

Couple all this with the standard benefits of Superchips (warranty, proven professional company, links to VW racing etc) and you have a winner of a system.

Regarding working on a Mac. I assume so, if you have USB and the Windows emulation software. However it is best to check with the Technical Guys at Superchips.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cheers for that, I am looking to map mine?around March April time, there are so many different options though. This system does sound good though.
Ross

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just a quick post regarding the Bluefin remap i ordered.

I got the Bluefin unit last night, downloaded the data from the car last night and emailed them last night with it, the code was ready this morning at 9am to be uploaded onto the car, so downloaded it from superchips server and put it into the car, takes around 15mins to do a download and upload onto the car.

Performance has increased so much, the engine is very responsive, not that it wasn't before, but it has increased the resposiveness of it alot. Power wise is awesome, thats the only word i can use to explain it, the kick in the back you get when you put your foot down is really really good, there is a massive gain of torque and you can really feel it, overtaking is just so much easier, if you drop it into 3rd at say 40mph and floor it you can really really feel the car pushing you into the back of the seat. I overtook a slow car coming back home from work in 5th gear up a hill and it just pulled from 1500rpm with no problem!

Power doesn't die until way past 6k rpm!

I have also noticed that there is a little hesitation (sp) when you are on full throttle at some points, its not at the same engine speed everytime when it hesitates, it feels like the engine is retarding the ignition due to the knock sensor noticing something it doesn't like, feels similar to how the traction control feels when it comes on. I am a bit wary about this so i am going back to my standard tune and i will ring superchips tomorrow :-/

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Robin,

Glad you seem to be liking the Bluefin mate and i may have a little info for your misfire/hesitation problem...

When i bought my MKV GTI back in jan 2006 i was going to have it mapped by APR but was put off by tales of misfires/hesitation so decided to leave it... however Awesome and other tuners found the problem to lie with the standard diverter valve failing due to the increased power/torque, apparently there was a poor batch that could cause problems even on standard unmapped cars and VW/Audi et al changed to an uprated part for later models...

Perhaps this could be your problem mate and a new one from Awesome or the dealer couls sort it?

HTH [:)]

·
Registered
78 Posts
ah thanks for that Steve, i have just taken the car out on its standard map and its fine so it could be the extra boost these diverter valve can't cope with

do you know how much they are and how hard they are to fit?

i could go to Audi but if the problem isn't there on the standard map then i don't think they will change it

·
Registered
310 Posts
My standard 2L T is doing the same thing just not very often, the dealer is unable to find the fault I may suggest them to check this diverter valve, its going back on Monday I will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
78 Posts
dave it might be worth putting a new diverter valve on yourself, i have ordered a new one for ?23.45 from Audi and i am going to change it myself, if i go under warranty then they will take ages and might not even change it as it doesn't happen without the remap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right update

I have just fitted the new DV and just taken it for a drive and the problem has been solved, it pulls and pulls and pulls now, no flatspots, no hesitations or anything else apart from POWER <clarkson Styleeeee>

<CLARKSON styleee>Took me 30mins to change the valve after spending 20mins trying to find the where the turbo sits.

Also the valve on mine was the old version so i guess that was the cause of the problem.

VERY fiddly job but i did it in 30mins on the driveway with the drivers wheel off and that end of the car on a axle stand. Its very fiddly to get the top bolt off but i used several small extension adapters to get to it.

If you are a hands on kinda guy then you will be fine doing it as long as you have some small extensions, i got a 150piece halfords professional kit which came in handy.

I would have done some pics but you can't really see anything unless you get down on your back and get your head into the wheel arch so sorry to those who wouldn't mind having a guide on how to do it.

If anyone needs any help on doing this then feel free to pm me.

The part number for the part is as follows: Valve - 06F145710C - ?21.78 + vat

Bolts - N10196103 - ?0.26 + vat - 3 off.

Total came to ?26.37 but that included discount he gave me as he noticed that i worked at Bentley Motors who are classed as trade ;-) but the discount was only ?1.51 but better than nothing!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hiya Robin

Glad you got it all sorted mate and i'm guessing your 100% happy with the Bluefin now lol!! [:D]

Did'nt know you worked down at Bentley, you can get the brews in next time i come in to fix the lift in the back of the canteen...[:p]

·
Registered
78 Posts
lol yeah let me know when you are next there and i will come and find ya!

never used those lifts as they look f'ing scary, i rather stick to the stairs on the other side!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts