Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firstly, hello. I have only just signed up - to ask this question - and I can usually find answers to queries that I have regarding cars from google, old forum posts etc, etc, but never really have the need to post. But here I am!

Secondly, I am well aware of what responses to expect from this question. (“Diesels dont need BOVs, there’s no performance gain”, yadda yadda)

Therefore, I would like to politely, and respectfully ask, that you afford me the same courtesy, and if the above is all you have to say on the matter, please don’t say anything at all!

Now that is out of the way…

I have a Mk4 GT TDI, which is an ASZ, on an 03 reg. I’ve owned this car for almost 7 years, I love it, I cherish it, and I look after it. It has a hybrid turbo, stainless intercooler, full alloy hard pipe setup, custom intake, full Miltek, a remap to a sensible 180-190 bhp, uprated bushes, springs, shocks, brakes and a few nice interior and exterior bits.
After almost 250k, I’m slowly retiring it from daily driving and turning my attention to making it a bit more of a fun, sunny day and weekend car.

As such, I would like to give in to my juvenile side and add a BOV.

This is PURELY because I want the noise from it. I know there are no performance gains. And hey, if I don’t like it, I can take it off. No big deal.

I have searched high and low to find out where exactly to locate the valve on the intercooler pipework, and the best method to employ to do it.

Obviously as this is not a widely accepted mod, there is very limited information out there, in comparison to 1.8T variants. And most people who have asked the question before on a variety of forums have been sent away with their tails between their legs after dressing downs from know it alls.

If someone could advise me on how I can fit a BOV to my car, it would be excellent and I will be very grateful!

To give you a very small amount of information on my vehicular background, I’ve owned four Mk4s, one being an AUQ 1.8T, a Bora and a couple of Polos. I’ve had BMWs, Lexi, Audis, and a big rusty pile of Fords from the 80s to the early 00s. My lowly GT TDI is the only one that has been a constant and I want to have a bit of fun with it and make stupid whoosh noises.

Thank you!

Al

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,929 Posts
Diesels do not have a throttle body so do not restrict air. This is literally why they have a vacuum pump, because there's no vacuum generated by a restricted throttle and the engine trying to consume air. You cannot add one, pure and simple.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bloke down the road from me has a digital blow off generator on his mondeo so every time he comes off the throttle a loud recording of a 'blow off whoosh' sounds. I can't say it's very impressive but he thinks it's the dogs danglies.

·
Registered
2001 Golf GTTDI
15 Posts
If you fancy changing your turbo to a fancy gtb2060vklr or gtb2260vklr they can make some strange noises when coming off the accelerator.
Example:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts