Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mk4 brakes are a nightmare! I just put a new set of pads in my rear callipers and now the brake pedal has a really spongy feel. I have to pretty much put my foot to the ground before it will stop! Any ideas why this is happening? I took the cap off the brake reservoir before pushing the pistons back in but there is no way air could have been sucked in from there??? I don't understand it! Any ideas guys?? Really need to get it sorted tomorrow as I have to go back to work on Wednesday..

Ben [8o|]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brakes need bleed by the sound of it![:D]
yep thats what I'm thinking but how and why did that happen? Where did the air get sucked in from? There is no fluid on the floor and the level is ok in the resivoir.. ?? Just took it for another quick drive around the block and the abs works when you put you foot right the way down but I'm not getting the power assisted feel when I touch the pedal... there must be some air stuck in it I'm thinking??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed my front discs and pads a month ago...

Air got into the system... I havn't a clue how it got in.. But the brakes needed bled with a pressure bleeder[:S]
Right! I need to bleed them then. Do I need to use vag com to do this or can I just do it the normal way?

·
Registered
273 Posts
in similar situation, the brakes not being very powerful due to surface area being about 50% of what it was before, but my issue is this...

When I brake it makes a "groooooonk" noise like a squeal? But I copper slipped the brakes pads so it shouldn't be that, anyone got any ideas it is?

Also when im driving it makes the same noise too, its really annoying me now, brakes work fine even though new pads, but the noise is irritating!!![:'(][8o|]

Hope it is only dirt on the pads???

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mk4 brakes are a nightmare! I just put a new set of pads in my rear callipers and now the brake pedal has a really spongy feel. I have to pretty much put my foot to the ground before it will stop! Any ideas why this is happening? I took the cap off the brake reservoir before pushing the pistons back in but there is no way air could have been sucked in from there??? I don't understand it! Any ideas guys?? Really need to get it sorted tomorrow as I have to go back to work on Wednesday..

Ben [8o|]
The piston in the caliper should be wound back with the correct tool,NEVER pushed,My front pads and disc's were changed by a local garage and the lad that done the job used waterpump pliers to press the piston's back in,The problem with doing this results in a seal in the master cylinder flipping over and causing the spongy pedal and poor brake pedal,In the end it cost me over ?350 for a new master cylinder and the fluid changed at the dealer!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
When you fitted the pads did you apply the hand brake a few
times.i did mine the other day and after i had to hold in the hand
brarake buton and pull the lever up and release it a fair few
times to sort it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you fitted the pads did you apply the hand brake a few times.i did mine the other day and after i had to hold in the hand brarake buton and pull the lever up and release it a fair few times to sort it out.
I did it a few times, will go out and do it a few more times and see what happens!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ben [8o|]
The piston in the caliper should be wound back with the correct tool,NEVER pushed,My front pads and disc's were changed by a local garage and the lad that done the job used waterpump pliers to press the piston's back in,The problem with doing this results in a seal in the master cylinder flipping over and causing the spongy pedal and poor brake pedal,In the end it cost me over ?350 for a new master cylinder and the fluid changed at the dealer!
I hope this hasn't happened!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There's a couple of things here,

1 - Use correct windback tool (already mentioned)

2 - Open the bleed screw while winding back, then bleed rear lines using pressure bleeder.

Reason? It stops any collected garbage being pushed back up the lines towards your expensive ABS pump.

3 - Check the handbrake cable adjustment (as per the manual. there is a specified clearance.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well no joy with bleeding the brakes! Think that I have pushed out one of the seals in the master cyl, god knows how it happened, I've changed many pads and never had this problem before! So theres another load of ????? down the car drain! Will keep everyone updated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.